Nikon 70-300mm f4-5.6D ED ?

Last response: in Digital Camera
June 22, 2005 5:35:03 AM

Just got my new D70S with the kit lens, and am very happy with the camera .
It does everything I hoped it would do and more .
I'm using the camera for shooting mostly car racing and certainly need some
"more lens !"

I had my heart set on the lens in the subject line, but I see Mr. "Rockwell"
doesn't say nice things about it . I'm a bit concerned about his comments
that .. it's slow to focus . He also seems to think it's made by Tamron ..
which I don't think I'd fret about too much.

I'd love to hear from people who are actually using this lens and hear what
you think . Especially those who have, or are using it for any kind of
action shooting .
I realize it's not going to be fast at 5.6 but I am used to shooting with a
mono pod .

Thanks in advance for any help..
Jim

More about : nikon 300mm

June 22, 2005 7:52:33 AM

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 01:35:03 -0400, "Jim Locking"
<jlocking@nospamsympatico.ca> wrote:

>Just got my new D70S with the kit lens, and am very happy with the camera .
>It does everything I hoped it would do and more .
>I'm using the camera for shooting mostly car racing and certainly need some
>"more lens !"
>
>I had my heart set on the lens in the subject line, but I see Mr. "Rockwell"
>doesn't say nice things about it . I'm a bit concerned about his comments
>that .. it's slow to focus . He also seems to think it's made by Tamron ..
>which I don't think I'd fret about too much.

I have a 75 to 300 f4.5 to 5.6 and I think we are probably talking
about the same lens.

The objective is only 62 mm but it's still a pretty hefty lens and
comes with its own tripod mount..

I particularly like the "push to zoom" feature. It works on the D-70
in manual or automatic focus and in the program mode as well.
It's a relatively inexpensive lens but does a very good job in its
price range. It also is a "close focus" lens and although not as
close as the 24 to 105's 4 inches, it still does well. Definitely
tripod only at that distance.

I've never tried to see if it works in the fully automatic modes but
I've never used them even once to see how they work with the other
lenses.

>I'd love to hear from people who are actually using this lens and hear what
>you think . Especially those who have, or are using it for any kind of
>action shooting .

I've used this lens extensively at the fly-in at Oshkosh on my F4S and
F8008S with very good results. I've not had the opportunity to try it
over there on the D-70.

I have done a fair amount of close up flower portraits and although "I
think" the 24 to 105 is a bit sharper I really need to run some
comparison shots on the D-70.

>I realize it's not going to be fast at 5.6 but I am used to shooting with a
>mono pod .

Just crank the ASA equivalent up to 400 or 800. As long as the
shutter speed is relatively fast, or fast enough for hand holding, I
doubt noise will be a problem. As long as the wind isn't blowing the
subject around ASA 200 and a tripod should work well.

I've been using this one for quite some time which makes it one of the
early examples. Like many lenses with the plastic, or rubber grips
that fit around them the band around the focus ring finally "let go"
and now needs to be replaced. Replacing the one on the focus ring is
no big deal, but I'd sure hate to replace that big one on the zoom
barrel. As of yet that one shows no signs of giving out.

Typically I carry the D-70 with the 12 to 24 and 24-105. I often
carry the larger 24-120 which is about twice the weight of the 24-105
and cost twice as much. Typically the 75 - 300, the kit lens, and
which ever of the 24-105 or 24 - 120 I don't carry stay in the other
camera bag. I'd like to get the 70-200 f2.8 VR with a 2X
teleconverter but that would cost more than the entire outfit I have
now. OTOH when I purchased the F4S it was over three times the current
price.

Over all I think the 75 to 300 is a very good lens for the money.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

>Thanks in advance for any help..
>Jim

Anonymous
June 22, 2005 12:20:24 PM

Jim Locking wrote:

> Just got my new D70S with the kit lens, and am very happy with the camera .
> It does everything I hoped it would do and more .
> I'm using the camera for shooting mostly car racing and certainly need some
> "more lens !"
>
> I had my heart set on the lens in the subject line, but I see Mr. "Rockwell"
> doesn't say nice things about it . I'm a bit concerned about his comments
> that .. it's slow to focus . He also seems to think it's made by Tamron ..
> which I don't think I'd fret about too much.
>
> I'd love to hear from people who are actually using this lens and hear what
> you think . Especially those who have, or are using it for any kind of
> action shooting .
> I realize it's not going to be fast at 5.6 but I am used to shooting with a
> mono pod .

This 'kind' of lens is usually soft from about 200mm to 300mm. You
might consider a prime lens instead.

Slow to focus? Manual focus.

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
June 22, 2005 7:37:13 PM

Jim Locking <jlocking@nospamsympatico.ca> wrote:

> I'd love to hear from people who are actually using this lens and hear what
> you think . Especially those who have, or are using it for any kind of
> action shooting .
> I realize it's not going to be fast at 5.6 but I am used to shooting with a
> mono pod .

It is an alright lens for the price. I get good use out of it and my
pictures are good. However, it is indeed slow to focus. By the time
you focus on something moving the subject has moved on (i.e. birds .. I
have missed several bird shots due to this). If you can predict where
your subject is likely to be and focus ahead [and use continuous
focusing] then you should do alright. I think autoracing is such a
subject that would do alright with this lens. Certainly a faster lens
would be useful for you, but the price will triple.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse
June 23, 2005 3:11:55 AM

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 03:52:33 -0400, Roger
<Delete-Invallid.stuff.groups@tm.net> wrote:

>I have a 75 to 300 f4.5 to 5.6 and I think we are probably talking
>about the same lens.

The 75-300mm was discontinued a while back. The current model
matches the spec of the subject header. It is of lighter
build and does not include a tripod mount.

The current model has a reputation for being soft at the long end.
I find that claim partially true, but exaggerated. The light weight
and lack of a tripod mount practically begs the user to handhold, and
the relatively small aperture at the long end encourages wide open
shooting. That's not a good combination for sharp shots, especially
given the 1.5x crop of the D70s.

When used on a tripod, at f/11 to f/16, and with good long lens
techniques, it does quite a reasonable job even at 300mm. I use
mine as part of my lightweight travel/hiking kit.

Don't get too impressed by the ED tag -- the lens has a single small
ED element towards the rear of the lens. The "G" model has similar
optics without the ED element, and uses even more plastic structural
components.

The Tamron 70-300mm f/4~5.6 also has a suspiciously similar optical
formula, leading many to believe the three lenses share a common
origin. Nikon USA has explicitly denied this.

--
Michael Benveniste -- mhb-offer@clearether.com
June 27, 2005 1:23:44 AM

"Roger" <Delete-Invallid.stuff.groups@tm.net> wrote in message
> [...]
> that fit around them the band around the focus ring finally "let go"
> and now needs to be replaced. Replacing the one on the focus ring is
> no big deal, but I'd sure hate to replace that big one on the zoom
> barrel. As of yet that one shows no signs of giving out.
>
> Typically I carry the D-70 with the 12 to 24 and 24-105. I often
> carry the larger 24-120 which is about twice the weight of the 24-105
> and cost twice as much. Typically the 75 - 300, the kit lens, and
> which ever of the 24-105 or 24 - 120 I don't carry stay in the other
> camera bag. I'd like to get the 70-200 f2.8 VR with a 2X
> teleconverter but that would cost more than the entire outfit I have
> now. OTOH when I purchased the F4S it was over three times the current
> price.
>
> Over all I think the 75 to 300 is a very good lens for the money.
>
> Roger Halstead (K8RI & ARRL life member)

Roger,

I am considering this very lens, although I think the OP was referring to
the newer ED lens, which Ken Rockwell barbeques. Can you please tell me the
close focusing distance for this lens when in the macro "shift" mode. I
know that nikon lists it as 5ft, but I think it may be a lot closer when in
"Macro" mode. Also, if anyone out there has the 70-210 f/4-5.6 AF-D (or
even the one without the "D"), I am also looking for the Close focusing
distance when in macro mode. The 28-105 can get to about 2-3" from the
front of the lens when in macro mode.

Thanks,

Tim

Tim & Christine Walsh
Arizona Tribal Collectors
www.tribalcollectors.com
June 27, 2005 8:20:32 AM

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 21:23:44 -0700, "Timothy Walsh"
<tribalcollectors@tribalcollectors.com> wrote:

<snip>

>> Over all I think the 75 to 300 is a very good lens for the money.
>>
>> Roger Halstead (K8RI & ARRL life member)
>> (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
>> www.rogerhalstead.com
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance for any help..
>>>Jim
>>>
>Roger,
>
>I am considering this very lens, although I think the OP was referring to
>the newer ED lens, which Ken Rockwell barbeques. Can you please tell me the
>close focusing distance for this lens when in the macro "shift" mode. I

I just dug out the 8008 and the 75-300. Mine is 48 inches to the
front of the lens at the close focus limit. At 300 mm that still gives
a pretty good size image.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

>know that nikon lists it as 5ft, but I think it may be a lot closer when in
>"Macro" mode. Also, if anyone out there has the 70-210 f/4-5.6 AF-D (or
>even the one without the "D"), I am also looking for the Close focusing
>distance when in macro mode. The 28-105 can get to about 2-3" from the
>front of the lens when in macro mode.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Tim
>
>Tim & Christine Walsh
>Arizona Tribal Collectors
>www.tribalcollectors.com

Anonymous
June 27, 2005 1:14:23 PM

Timothy Walsh <tribalcollectors@tribalcollectors.com> wrote:

>Also, if anyone out there has the 70-210 f/4-5.6 AF-D (or
>even the one without the "D"), I am also looking for the Close focusing
>distance when in macro mode.

On the non-D version, closest focus is roughly 1 metre from the
front of the lens.

--
Ken Tough
Anonymous

Alan Browne <alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote:

>Ken Tough wrote:
>> On the non-D version, closest focus is roughly 1 metre from the
>> front of the lens.

>Focus distance is uusually given from the film / sensor plane.

I know, see comment re: macro distance. Add about 215mm to get
to the sensor plane at f.l.=210mm, and add 165mm at f.l.=70mm.
(The closest distance to the film plane doesn't stay the same)

--
Ken Tough
Anonymous

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 19:21:46 -0400, Alan Browne
<alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote:

>Ken Tough wrote:
>
>> On the non-D version, closest focus is roughly 1 metre from the
>> front of the lens.
>
>Focus distance is uusually given from the film / sensor plane.

True, but in macro and closeup the distance between the subject and
the front of the lens is far more important from a practical point of
view.

BTW, with the AF Nikkor 70-300 4-5.6 G (not ED) the minimum focusing
distance engraved on the lens barrel is 1.5 m, in practice 1.3 m from
the front of the lens at f.l. 300. The length of the lens barrel (from
mounting flange to front) grows from 116 mm at f.l. 70 and infinite
to 185 mm at f.l. 300 and 1.3 m.
!