Sign in with
Your question

Computer Won't Start

Last response: in Systems
January 1, 2013 6:26:14 PM

Hello all, new to the forums, hoping to get some help. I have read several threads on this site and non have helped so I figured posting my own thread with the exact problems I'm having would help.

First let me give computer specs.

I have an AMD FX 8120 Processor, my motherboard is a MSI 760GM-E51(FX), memory Corsair CMX4GX3M1A1333C9 XMS3 4GB DDR3 RAM (4 Sticks), Seagate ST1000DM003 Barracuda 1TB Hard Drive - 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s, and a Geforce 650Ti Video Card.

Now here's what happened and what I've done to try and fix it.

I built this computer and it worked fine for a little over a month. It was fast, did everything I wanted...I was happy.

One day, I came in and the computer was turned off (weird because I always leave it on.) I tried turning on the computer and it was receiving no power what so ever. Wouldn't turn on at all.

I messed around with it for a bit and couldn't get anything to work, so I figured it must be the PSU. I purchased a new PSU a 750 Watt. I replaced the old one with the new one and still nothing!

I then figured it must be the motherboard. I sent away for a new motherboard, received a new one and replaced it.

I replaced it with the same exact motherboard, just a new one.

This is where things got weird.

The computer now powers on, however it is not posting, beeping, no video, etc. All the lights come on that are on the motherboard and all the fans are running, etc.

I have tested every component in the computer with other components. As I said, I replaced the motherboard, PSU, I've tried different memory sticks that I'm positive are working, I've tried a different hard drive.

The only component that I haven't replaced (because of cost and lack of a spare) is the processor.

I'm assuming it's the processor as I've tried replacing every other part, however, from what I've read here, it's extremely rare for the processor to go bad, and also from what I understand...wouldn't the system still boot into bios at least even with a bad processor?

Any help would be greatly appreciated and if any more information is needed, please let me know.

More about : computer start

January 1, 2013 7:00:41 PM

mystickcal said:
Hello all, new to the forums, hoping to get some help. I have read several threads on this site and non have helped so I figured posting my own thread with the exact problems I'm having would help.

First let me give computer specs.

I have an AMD FX 8120 Processor, my motherboard is a MSI 760GM-E51(FX), memory Corsair CMX4GX3M1A1333C9 XMS3 4GB DDR3 RAM (4 Sticks), Seagate ST1000DM003 Barracuda 1TB Hard Drive - 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s, and a Geforce 650Ti Video Card.

Now here's what happened and what I've done to try and fix it.

I built this computer and it worked fine for a little over a month. It was fast, did everything I wanted...I was happy.

One day, I came in and the computer was turned off (weird because I always leave it on.) I tried turning on the computer and it was receiving no power what so ever. Wouldn't turn on at all.

I messed around with it for a bit and couldn't get anything to work, so I figured it must be the PSU. I purchased a new PSU a 750 Watt. I replaced the old one with the new one and still nothing!

I then figured it must be the motherboard. I sent away for a new motherboard, received a new one and replaced it.

I replaced it with the same exact motherboard, just a new one.

This is where things got weird.

The computer now powers on, however it is not posting, beeping, no video, etc. All the lights come on that are on the motherboard and all the fans are running, etc.

I have tested every component in the computer with other components. As I said, I replaced the motherboard, PSU, I've tried different memory sticks that I'm positive are working, I've tried a different hard drive.

The only component that I haven't replaced (because of cost and lack of a spare) is the processor.

I'm assuming it's the processor as I've tried replacing every other part, however, from what I've read here, it's extremely rare for the processor to go bad, and also from what I understand...wouldn't the system still boot into bios at least even with a bad processor?

Any help would be greatly appreciated and if any more information is needed, please let me know.

Not necessarily. If the processor was DOA when you got it it can cause a system failure from the word go. Just curious, what type of thermal compound did you use when putting the processor in?

You may want to consider contacting the vendor that you purchased the processor from and get a RMA (if possible). Odds are that is the creator of your headaches.
m
l
!