"Display driver has stopped responding and has recovered"

I recently built a new PC, and it was fine for the first week, then I switched over to a new monitor (this may or may not be a factor) and now the screen freezes, whatever sound is playing (if any) loops over to create a horrible noise. It continues like this for any time between a few seconds to a few minutes, then it recovers right where I left off. A couple of things I have observed about it are as follows:

-I've had task manager open a few times when it freezes, upon recovery CPU spikes up to 100% momentarily.

-Often a pop up will appear saying "Display driver has stopped responding and has recovered." In the Windows logs it says "Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

-It happens more often when watching YouTube videos.

-It happens 90% of the time when watching videos via Steam.

-(Previously stated) It has only started happening since being on this new monitor, although I did install a lot of unrelated software before and after the transition.

-When it recovers my computer is disconnected from the internet, so it isn't just a visual problem.

-GPU temperatures are fine, I believe the same is to be said about the CPU.

-During writing the first half of this I was playing a YouTube video in the background, it froze about 5 times in a space of 5 minutes. I closed it and now I haven't froze once.

I have checked threads with similar problems but without any success, I was hoping I could get some personal help. Catalyst Control Center is up to date.

Specs:

i5 3570K @ 3.4GHz not OC'd
Sapphire 11199-00-20G HD7870 2GB not OC'd
OCZ 750W ZS PSU
Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
WD 1TB Caviar Blue HDD
Windows 7 64bit
Samsung S24B300HL (Previous was a LG HDTV monitor)
3 answers Last reply
More about display driver stopped responding recovered
  1. I've also been having this problem but less recently (Minecraft, Spore, Youtube, Steam, e.t.c).

Try this link and go to the best answer:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/15922-63-display-driver-stopped-responding-recovered

here's the driver sweeper link:
    http://www.guru3d.com/content_page/guru3d_driver_sweeper.html

use this one because the phyxion one is gone.
    Hope this helps! :)
  2. I formatted and re-installed Windows because I lost patience, seems to be working fine (for now). I'll post if it starts again.
  3. Just fyi amd has had these issues. I just recently experienced the same thing though mine wouldn't alway come back leading to bsod. Mine mainly did it though when I was playing a game, and then alt tab to watch something (even a flash add or w/e could cause it)

From what I read it's a driver issue. Though since the updated driver came out I havn't experienced any more problems. So if you ever update and then out of the blue it starts acting up try and revert back to the previous driver.
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Graphics