Is ECC/Parity Error Checking Necessary

fireflayer

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2001
Yeah... I am (hopefully) buying an Athlon 1600 XP with an undecided motherboard. I currently have 100 Mhz SDRAM, so I obviously need to upgrade.

I was going to get some DDR Ram (most likely 2100). I was wondering if ECC or Parity would be necessary.

Thanks in advance for your help.

ECC RAM is mainly used with server systems for extra data integrity at the cost of a little speed. For most home based users, its not needed. Its more expensive too.

<b><font color=blue>~scribble~</font color=blue></b> :wink: <A HREF="http://www.ud.com/home.htm" target="_new">Help cure cancer.</A>

Porkloin

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2001
The biggest problem with computers is, as a tool, they are piles of crap. Back in my days in automotive, we wouldn't have stood for an air ratchet that acts up as often as a PC does.
So when someone says "not necessary for home use", does that imply that the home user doesn't deserve an opportunity to add a little quality to a pile of crap ? Or are they just parroting something that some other parrot parroted in an earlier topic ? (There ARE a lot a parrots around here).
When I started migrating the developers in my company to ECC, complaints of lockups started dropping noticably. You should gladly spend a FEW extra bucks for that, especially if you're running your Grandma's operating system (95/98/ME).

Sweating like a rancid chunk of pork

Or are they just parroting something that some other parrot parroted in an earlier topic ?
I take it you gathered all you're knowledge by trying without reading , asking, or confering with others?

Come on!

<b><font color=blue>~scribble~</font color=blue></b> :wink: <A HREF="http://www.ud.com/home.htm" target="_new">Help cure cancer.</A>

Porkloin

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2001
My contention is that many spout off based on the spoutings of others who have spouted off before, as opposed to real-world experience. I did not bad mouth the question asker. On the contrary, asking questions is always admirable.
Providing answers based on heresay is not.
My apologies for not conveying that point effectively.

Sweating like a rancid chunk of pork

eden

Champion
So you're telling me ECC can help stop some lockups in Win98? Wow now that is new!
I'd hope it's true cuz indeed it would be worth it.

--
The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...

opposed to real-world experience
Providing answers based on heresay is not
complaints of lockups started dropping noticably. You should gladly spend a FEW extra bucks for that, especially if you're running your Grandma's operating system (95/98/ME).
Personally, I rarely get a lock and have had (mentioned this somewhere else) as many BSODs as I have thumbs, using W98SE in three years. Now I'm very gratified to be conversing with someone with a firm grasp of English, but no amount of big words change my opinion. I trust a man of your metal can understand.