Sign in with
Your question

High temps with multiple monitors hd7950

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 17, 2012 10:46:28 AM

Hello,
I'm currently running two screens from my HD7950, one HDMI to DVI and the other DVI to VGA.

Unfortunately this is causing my card to idle at 55oc with the fan at 40%, which is a little undesirable considering the card idles at 38oC with the fan at 30% when i just use a single screen.

I've read somewhere that having both of the screens on mini DP outputs will reduce the processing required by the card to run the monitors, but as my monitors are different sizes (1680x1050 and 1920x1080) is this still true?

Also as one of my monitors only has a VGA input do mini DP to VGA adapters work?

Many thanks.
November 17, 2012 9:56:47 PM

Did you check and make sure you have good airflow through your case. As well, are all the case fans working?
November 17, 2012 10:02:10 PM

What card are you using specifically?
Related resources
November 17, 2012 10:12:13 PM

Doesn't AMD increase clock speeds(higher idle speeds) when more than 1 monitor is connected - and thereby increases temperatures?
November 18, 2012 5:43:56 AM

ss202sl said:
Doesn't AMD increase clock speeds(higher idle speeds) when more than 1 monitor is connected - and thereby increases temperatures?

Yes this is what I've heard too, its common for all graphics cards to use more memory when running multiple monitors and therefore increase the temps. But my question is can I reduce the memory required (maybe keeping the card in 2d mode) by running both of the outputs from the same type of port rather than having to mix analogue (VGA) and digital (DVI) signals?

I'm running the reference design HIS 7950:
http://www.hisdigital.com/un/product2-679.shtml

Airflow is not great in my case, but the fans are working fine and pumping out a fair bit of air. That's not what's really causing the issue as like I said my temps are as follow:

Idle single monitor: 35oC-39oC (30% fan)
Idle dual monitors: 52oC - 57oC (40% fan)
Gaming (full load): 65oC max (50% fan)

So overall the temps are well withing their normal operating ranges, but it's just a bit annoying to have the fans speed up and the overall temperature of my system increase just because I'm using two screens :( 

I guess what I'm really wondering is if I'm running my monitors in the most graphically efficient way, or is there a better configuration (such as two mini DP outputs) which will reduce the overall load on my GPU?
November 18, 2012 6:30:40 AM

Just to clarify what I'm looking for, here is what's happening with my clocks:

Then I came across this quote whilst searching Google (although i think this quote applies for an HD6870):
Quote:
When using a TMDS-type monitor along with any other monitor, AMD has to raise their idle clockspeeds from 350MHz core and 600Mhz memory to 350MHz core and the full 5.5GHz speed for memory, with the power penalty for that being around 30W. Matched timing monitors used exclusively over DisplayPort will continue to be the only way to be able to use multiple monitors without incurring an idle penalty.

So my question is will using Displayports keep the clocks low even though I'm using two different monitors (both are 5ms (i think) 60Hz monitors, so the timings are matched)?
November 22, 2012 10:43:10 PM

the exact same thing is happening to me-- i have one DVI Samsung monitor and one apple cinema display connected to mini display port. when only one is connected it throttles the core and memory way down and reduces the voltages to 0.85v, but when they are connected at the same time it does not seem to throttle the memory down at all, leading to very high idle temperatures. i also noticed this when overclocking the memory when both screens were attached, the idle temperatures would go way up when the memory was overclocked even a small amount, so that confirms for me that is it the memory running at rull speed with the 2 monitors that is creating the high idle temps.

I have a DVI to Mini Display port adapter, i will try using that to connect them both to mini display port and see if it makes any different, although i would rather them both be connected without adapters.

i have tried the latest 12.11 beta 8 driver but it didn't fix the issue.
!