Sign in with
Your question

Build help and suggestions please

Last response: in Systems
January 1, 2013 8:10:15 PM

Hi everyone. I'm looking at purchasing my first gaming pc. I've been reading into all the technical stuff about pc builds and have picked up quite a bit.

This is the PC im currently looking at:

- Case: Antec 300 Gaming Case - Black
- Power Supply: Corsair TX 650w PSU
- CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K 3.40GHz @ 4.40GHz Ivybridge CPU
- Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard
- Cooler: Alpenfohn K2 Mount Doom CPU Cooler
- RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit
- Hard Drive: 500GB HDD
- Graphics Card: Sapphire HD 7850 2GB
- Sound: Realtek 7.1 Channel Sound (On-Board)
- Optical Drive: OcUK 24x DVD+/-RW SATA Drive

Firstly I'm wanting to get a medium-high end pc which will last atleast 4-5 years. Or can be easily upgradable to keep up with future components.
The build above was my first idea but then I quickly learned that getting a higher end GPU gives better performance on games than getting a overclocked CPU.

So I then thought would it be possible to drop the overclock down to the standard 3.4 GHZ which would save me around £40 and then I can put a stock CPU cooler on which would save me another £50. With the savings I would upgrade the GPU to a 7870 2GB or even a 7950 3GB GPU.
Then if in the future I need to squeeze more from the CPU I can overclock it and get a couple more years out of it.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

More about : build suggestions

January 1, 2013 8:57:58 PM

naybag said:

So I then thought would it be possible to drop the overclock down to the standard 3.4 GHZ which would save me around £40 and then I can put a stock CPU cooler on which would save me another £50. With the savings I would upgrade the GPU to a 7870 2GB or even a 7950 3GB GPU.
Then if in the future I need to squeeze more from the CPU I can overclock it and get a couple more years out of it.

im a little confused with what you mean by dropping to 3.4 GHz to save £40.

you could get a i5-3470 instead of the 3570k but you wouldn't be able to overclock it. if you did go with a 3470 you also wouldn't need cpu cooler and the z77 motherboard. you could save more money by getting a B75 of H77 board instead.

another option is to keep the 3570k and use the stock intel fan and use that money to get a better video card. then in the future when you have more money and you want to overclock you could buy a cpu cooler.
January 1, 2013 9:17:50 PM

Hi thanks for the reply. Sorry I didn't clarify it properly. I'm not building my first pc myself. I will be purchasing a custom build PC from Overclockers and they charge extra to overclock the CPU. So if I didn't get it overclocked by them I could save money.
Related resources
January 1, 2013 11:06:42 PM

I've never heard of that cooler - is there a link for it?
January 1, 2013 11:23:33 PM

i live in the US why would they block me from watching there videos? its only a video of a cpu cooler. copyright grounds? funny.

Quote:
This video contains content from EMI, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.
!