Nov 17, 2012
Components of interest:
- Asus P8Z77-V PRO Motherboard
- Asus GTX 690 GPU
- Corsair AX1200 PSU
- i5 2500k CPU @4.5ghz
- DVI-D to HDMI Adapter
All drivers up to date including BIOS.

On booting up Windows, it gets to the login screen before the display goes out and the monitor returns a message saying no signal. The issue is temporarily fixed by going into safe mode and re installing the graphic drivers or by removing the output cable (both the adapter and HDMI, removing just the HDMI and reinserting makes no difference) at the back of the card and reinserting it. I am using a Asus VE228H monitor and a DVI-D to HDMI adapter at the back of the card. The adapter and the HDMI both have been tested and seem to be in working order on other devices.

The problem also arises when the computer has booted (desktop) or is in the process of booting and the HDMI is removed from the adapter or booted without the HDMI in until later, reinserting the HDMI makes no difference neither does restarting the computer. The HDMI is removed because I also use it for other devices, XBOX360 for example. Yes, I could buy another HDMI for it but why does the computer/gpu then fail to detect the output and display no video unless a fresh driver is installed?

Also, you can hear windows play the hardware detect/disconnect sound when the HDMI is inserted.

Anyone know what the issue is?

I know this explanation is kind of confusing, ask away with questions if any confusion.
Thank you in advance.

mattybobo

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012
Yeah, I had the exact same problem. Just plug your cord into the second DVI output on the top (next to the mini displayport output) and then boot up the PC. It will then output correctly. Something happened when I setup the 690 originally with the other DVI as the primary output but when I unplugged the HDMI adapter, it reset it to the other output as primary. Took me a half hour to figure out.

inovaex

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012

The issue persists with that one too, thanks for your input though.

G

What is your power supply? How long have you had your power supply, specs etc. How long has this issue persisted?

prophead

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013

I have the very same issue with another configuration, it seems it's not dependant on other HW component than the gtx690 itself, for the istance I have a Seasonic P-860XP2 which is a stable nearly noise/riplle-less beast with an itx board and an overall low load, so its seems to be NOT related with the output power of the PSU, at least in my scenario, WHEN it runs correctly the audio is working flawlwssy, when it doesn't obviosly not. I'm connecting through a DVI2HDMI connector to a Philips 40PFL9704H/12, the weird thing is that SOMETIMES a bios reset allow the card to be recognised by the TV-set, sometimes it doesn't, when it does I'm not sure however to be able to see the output when windows (7/64SP1) boots up as the output suddenly disappears right before the welcome screen, but SOMETIMES it works, the connection is not loose or anything like that and the really weird thing is that a regular Samsung Syncmaster monitor, NOT TV-set, ALWAYS works and sometimes switching from the Syncmaster to the TV-set allows displaying the output, but sometimes it will require to connect at first to the DVI-D output of the first processor then switch to the only DVI-I (1) output of the second processor.

The board has two processors which have: the A processor 1xmini-Display port, 1xDVI-I(2), 1xDVI-D(3), the B processor 1xDVI-I(1) and I tried every possible combo with them and n°1 DVI-D->HDMI and 1xDVI-A->HDMI and it seems there is no way to fix it, the 690 is currently recognizing correctly the TV-set when in windows but still fail to activate it at a random rate on subsequents bootups.

I thought it could have been a MB UEFI related trouble due to the board has the outputs for an integrated VGA but at this point, reading other one's experience I must blame the VGA BIOS which seems to be unable to recognize and use correctly a TV-set while is supposed to be able to do it.

I will ask ASUS support for this reason and I ask to everyone with the same problem to ask the same to the manufacturer of their 690 in order to have them stress nVidia enough and finally have a decent BIOS version that can make a "thousand-bucks-card" display the output from a TV-set on regular base.

prophead

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013
I appreciate your point of view and your will to help but I'm not born yesterday, the VGA works very well on another MB and the MB works very well with another VGA, due to a defect one of the two should have troubles even in other environments...and this is not the case, it's a compatibility issue I think...