Nikon D70s

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
June 22, 2005 8:39:01 PM

I did it...went and bought the camera I have wanted. Now I need to learn
about it. I need a little more information than what comes in the manual!
If you know of any sites or tutorials or books that you feel are especially
helpful, I'd love to know what they are. Thanks. Maureen

More about : nikon d70s

Anonymous
June 22, 2005 9:55:25 PM

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 16:39:01 -0400, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems "mo"
<molav@nospamoptonline.net> wrote:

>I did it...went and bought the camera I have wanted. Now I need to learn
>about it. I need a little more information than what comes in the manual!
>If you know of any sites or tutorials or books that you feel are especially
>helpful, I'd love to know what they are. Thanks. Maureen

I have found Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the Nikon D70 to quite helpful.
http://www.bythom.com/d70guide.htm
----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
June 22, 2005 11:36:12 PM

I want to be like you when I grow up! Will look a the ebook .you and Ben
both recommended it! Maureen
"Ed Ruf" <egruf_usenet@cox.net> wrote in message
news:o cnjb15t0r89f38ch190cp561caip1mjpd@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 16:39:01 -0400, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems "mo"
> <molav@nospamoptonline.net> wrote:
>
>>I did it...went and bought the camera I have wanted. Now I need to learn
>>about it. I need a little more information than what comes in the manual!
>>If you know of any sites or tutorials or books that you feel are
>>especially
>>helpful, I'd love to know what they are. Thanks. Maureen
>
> I have found Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the Nikon D70 to quite
> helpful.
> http://www.bythom.com/d70guide.htm
> ----------
> http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photography/General/index...
Related resources
June 22, 2005 11:50:21 PM

"mo" <molav@nospamoptonline.net> wrote in message
>I did it...went and bought the camera I have wanted. Now I need to learn
>about it. I need a little more information than what comes in the manual!
> If you know of any sites or tutorials or books that you feel are
> especially helpful, I'd love to know what they are. Thanks. Maureen
In hard copy, the Magic Lantern book series are very good. These are
available for most camera models.
June 23, 2005 12:06:16 AM

I will look for both. I know there are advantages to ebooks and hard copy.
Maybe I need both! Maureen
"Darrell" <spam@this.eh> wrote in message

> "mo" <molav@nospamoptonline.net> wrote in message
>>I did it...went and bought the camera I have wanted. Now I need to learn
>>about it. I need a little more information than what comes in the manual!
>> If you know of any sites or tutorials or books that you feel are
>> especially helpful, I'd love to know what they are. Thanks. Maureen
> In hard copy, the Magic Lantern book series are very good. These are
> available for most camera models.

Anonymous
June 23, 2005 12:48:06 AM

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 16:39:01 -0400, mo <molav@nospamoptonline.net> wrote:
> I did it...went and bought the camera I have wanted. Now I need to learn
> about it. I need a little more information than what comes in the manual!
> If you know of any sites or tutorials or books that you feel are especially
> helpful, I'd love to know what they are. Thanks. Maureen

A lot of Nikon shooters have good things to say about this e-book:

http://www.bythom.com/d70guide.htm

It's $35 in the U.S., $40 elsewhere (U.S. dollars). Note that you
don't get a physical book. I own neither the camera nor the book,
so this recommendation is strictly secondhand.

Congrats on your purchase, I hope you enjoy it.

--
Ben Rosengart (212) 741-4400 x215
--Josh Micah Marshall

>I will look for both. I know there are advantages to ebooks and hard copy.
>Maybe I need both! Maureen

A real book can be tucked into a gadget bag and be referred to while in the
field.

> "Darrell" <spam@this.eh> wrote in message
>>
>> "mo" <molav@nospamoptonline.net> wrote in message
>>>I did it...went and bought the camera I have wanted. Now I need to learn
>>>about it. I need a little more information than what comes in the manual!
>>> If you know of any sites or tutorials or books that you feel are
>>> especially helpful, I'd love to know what they are. Thanks. Maureen
>> In hard copy, the Magic Lantern book series are very good. These are
>> available for most camera models.

Anonymous
June 23, 2005 10:06:21 AM

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 20:06:16 -0400, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems "mo"
<molav@nospamoptonline.net> wrote:

>I will look for both. I know there are advantages to ebooks and hard copy.
>Maybe I need both! Maureen

The Hogan eBook gives one permission to print even at the local Kinkos or
similar place. I printed a copy on a color laserjet, but opted to print it
resized to 8-1/2 x 11 double-sided pages instead of the booklet format. At
525 pages I doubt you'd carry it around, even printed in the booklet
format.
----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
June 23, 2005 5:18:27 PM

www.nikonians.org
(they have bulletin boards for almost any Nikon and related topic -
IMHO better and more useful than this and other newsgroups)

http://www.bythom.com/nikon.htm
(mostly reviews and technical info)

and the following assortment of links, some Nikon-specific, some
generic knowledge, some manufacturers of accessories and equipment
(which may be useful to know it's there, or to get ideas if you are
into building your own homemade accessories). Some of these links have
an emphasis on macro and scientific photography because this is what I
do.
http://www.digitalkb.com/digital_photography/
http://homepage2.nifty.com/akiyanroom/redbook-e/
http://photography.about.com/od/scientificphotography/
http://www.steves-digicams.com/
http://www.studiolighting.net/Studio-Lighting-Equipment...
http://www.macrolenses.de/
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dltucker/nikond70/
http://www.photoflex.com/photoflex/index.html
http://www.tripodhead.com/index.cfm
http://photomacrography.net/
http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/
http://www.planetneil.com/nikon/custom-curves.html
http://msp.rmit.edu.au/
http://www.manfrotto.com/product/midscreen.php

wrote:

>I did it...went and bought the camera I have wanted. Now I need to learn
>about it. I need a little more information than what comes in the manual!
>If you know of any sites or tutorials or books that you feel are especially
>helpful, I'd love to know what they are. Thanks. Maureen

June 23, 2005 5:18:28 PM

That's so helpful, thank you. Maureen
"Deedee Tee" <abuse@localhost> wrote in message
> www.nikonians.org
> (they have bulletin boards for almost any Nikon and related topic -
> IMHO better and more useful than this and other newsgroups)
>
> http://www.bythom.com/nikon.htm
> (mostly reviews and technical info)
>
> and the following assortment of links, some Nikon-specific, some
> generic knowledge, some manufacturers of accessories and equipment
> (which may be useful to know it's there, or to get ideas if you are
> into building your own homemade accessories). Some of these links have
> an emphasis on macro and scientific photography because this is what I
> do.
> http://www.digitalkb.com/digital_photography/
> http://homepage2.nifty.com/akiyanroom/redbook-e/
> http://photography.about.com/od/scientificphotography/
> http://www.steves-digicams.com/
> http://www.studiolighting.net/Studio-Lighting-Equipment...
> http://www.macrolenses.de/
> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dltucker/nikond70/
> http://www.photoflex.com/photoflex/index.html
> http://www.tripodhead.com/index.cfm
> http://photomacrography.net/
> http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/
> http://www.planetneil.com/nikon/custom-curves.html
> http://msp.rmit.edu.au/
> http://www.manfrotto.com/product/midscreen.php
>

> On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 16:39:01 -0400, "mo" <molav@nospamoptonline.net>
> wrote:
>
>>I did it...went and bought the camera I have wanted. Now I need to learn
>>about it. I need a little more information than what comes in the manual!
>>If you know of any sites or tutorials or books that you feel are
>>especially
>>helpful, I'd love to know what they are. Thanks. Maureen

Anonymous
June 23, 2005 11:03:29 PM

wrote:

>I did it...went and bought the camera I have wanted. Now I need to learn
>about it. I need a little more information than what comes in the manual!
>If you know of any sites or tutorials or books that you feel are especially
>helpful, I'd love to know what they are. Thanks. Maureen

There is a fellow on the DP Review Nikon Forum by the name of David
Chin who does excellent photography. I dug the following out of my
notes. I hope it is of some help.

Regards,

Orrin

Maybe this thread by David Chin can help you out.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1034&m...
------
try david's 4 lessons...
#1 Dull Pictures Be gone