texas_techie

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2001
Well my second drive, a western digital, is making really loud clicking noises (more like a clank). I know this cant be good. I cant still read/write from it, but when the clanking starts any read/writes pause until the clanking stops.
In short im fairly certain its about to die. So i gotta buy a new one. My question is two-fold:

1. Whats a decent 7,200 rpm drive (in the 30 gig range)
2. Is there a way to get ALL my data from the failing drive onto the new one. I know about ghost, but how does it work and can it get all the data onto the new one?

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
we have the same problem at work, about 30 % of the western digital drives we bought have died. i would go with maxtor. watch the frys add, i just got a 7200 rpm 40 gig for 89 bucks the other day.

access-list 1 deny stupid comments
int eyes
ip access-group 1 in

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
well, if you get a maxtor drive (retail) it will come with a disk that has a program that will allow you to copy a partition...
if you get a maxtor drive (OEM) then you can download the same disk from <A HREF="http://www.maxtor.com/products/DiamondMax/techsupport/TechnicalProcedures/24023.html" target="_new">Maxtor</A>
just put that on a floppy, and you have yourself a maxblast disk
hehe
but yeah, that clicking noise is the "<font color=red>CLICK OF DEATH!</font color=red>"
and it means that the drive is very close to dying...it is like it is struggling to breathe after being shot in the chest...and is only a matter of time before the drive's heart stops, and it's eyes roll back into its head, and it wont boot anymore...
what a kick in the pants...

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
if you want to save your data from your die hd, don't use it by now untill you have your new hd.
when it will be completely crashed, it will be too late.

if you know you don't know, the way could be more easy. :cool:

skimzzz

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2001
i have a 10 gb wd hd which has always made that clicking/clunking sound for as long as i can remember. how long does death usu occur? my hd is over 3 yrs old

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
well, how loud is this noise?
it is usually pretty quick, but when i was in high school, there was a computer lab, that was turned on and off by a MASTER switch....
and once when i was in there, the guy turned it on, and two of the computers in the back were making this loud, terrible clunking and clicking noise, like LOUD...enough to hear from the other side of the room as 40 computers booted...
he was like...i have told the administrators that those comps need new hard drives, but they do nothing about it.
they were like that for the entire last year i was there...
so it could be long, and it could be short.
but basically, you are looking at a dying hard drive if it is loud.
like compare it to a normal hard drive...
if it is much louder, then it is probably going to die.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

texas_techie

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2001
Well, yeah its really loud, you could hear the clanking from the other side of the room. Its VERY obvious. I dont have to lean down to hear it or anything.
Looks like maxtor is getting a vote. Im surpised that in other forums people swear by IBM drives. Both my buddies had their IBM's die within 6 months of using them.
I have had other HDs make slight clanking noises, but not this often and not this loud.

G

"Looks like maxtor is getting a vote."

Back in 1995, I obtained a Maxtor 1.3 GB drive as a replacement for an NEC hard drive (5th NEC hard drive to fail on me in 2 months -- they were so bad the shop stopped carrying those drives). This Maxtor drive finally failed in late 2000 when I accidentally pierced the rubber seal (prevents contaminants from entering the drive) with a thin flathead screwdriver. Anyway, since 1995, I have bought 3 other Maxtor drives and never had one problem with any of them (the rubber seal on these newer drives is not accessable to flathead screwdrivers) ;). As far as Maxtor's tech support goes, I can't say because I've never had to contact them :). However, I have no reservations about recommending Maxtor drives to my friends.

Oratem

<b>Your mother uses a Compaq!</b>

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
this word, of course.

hmmm, maybe i haven't a sufficient efficient dictionnary.

this forum is very pleasant.

if you know you don't know, the way could be more easy. :cool: