Sign in with
Your question

Help, My Monitor won't work with DVI

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 17, 2012 4:42:04 PM

Ok so I bought a new graphics card recently (gtx 650), but when i connect my 20" monitor to the card with DVI the pc won't boot-up. However when I use a VGA cable it works fine and the pc starts up succesfully no problems, but there is a small part on the right side of the screen that is cut-off.

Also when I connect two monitors (one with vga and one with dvi) and the vga monitor works when I use it as a primary device, Nvidia Control panel still says that the secondary monitor IS connected with DVI but there is no display.

I have never had this problem before and it's really frustrating, please help!

More about : monitor work dvi

a b U Graphics card
November 17, 2012 4:52:50 PM

So it won't even power up if the DVI is connected or is the screen just blank? Did you switch the input button on your monitor? Do you have the newest drivers from Nvidia's website?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 17, 2012 6:18:28 PM

I have a hard time believing that the computer isn't booting on DVI, he probably meant that the screen remains dark or in sleep mode during boot, but he probably could hear the fans and hard drive running.

Good point by maestro0428, not all monitors switch between inputs automatically, you might have to press a button on the monitor to switch between analog (VGA) and digital (DVI) inputs.

Otherwise, it could also be a faulty cable, did you try with another DVI cable? If it's a hardware problem it could be either the DVI output on the video card or the DVI input on the monitor. To sort things out, since you have 2 monitors, does both of them have DVI inputs? If that's the case you could try with the other one in DVI as well. If it still won't display after you tried 2 monitors it might indicate that it's the DVI port on the card that has failed.
m
l
Related resources
November 17, 2012 8:10:51 PM

Thanks alot MC and Maestro. You were right all I had to do was to press a button. LOL I feel really stupid now.
m
l
April 4, 2013 2:46:30 AM

stefanvdSand said:
Thanks alot MC and Maestro. You were right all I had to do was to press a button. LOL I feel really stupid now.

I'm having the same problem, can you let me know what button you pressed please? Much appreciated if you can help!
m
l
!