Need a good <$100 case for my new build

ss9417

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
I am rather far into selecting my first PC build, but I need advice on a good case for $100 or less. Here are my parts:

Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4
CPU: Intel i5 3570K
CPU Fan: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
GPU: Gigabyte GTX670 OC 4GB (H=62 mm, L=295 mm, W=129 mm)
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600Mhz
HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB
SSD: Samsung 830 Series 128GB
Optical Drive: LG CH12LS28 Blu-Ray Combo
PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 750W

Any recommendations on a roomy case with good ventilation and wire system would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to suggest anything, make sure it is listed on CPLOnline, as that is where I am getting my parts from. I live in AU, so Newegg is out of the question. Feel free to point out anything that won't work with the rest of the build as well.

Solution

I love that case. I didn't realize it was on sale. I got it when it was on sale and use it personally. it has a hinged swinging door for the 5.25"/3.5" drive bays, 2 front usb 2.0 and 2 usb 3.0. I am quite satisfied with it.

If you add any case fans, get a single 200mm fan for the top. it's nice that it's compatible with 120mm, but even with 2 120mm fans, it leaves too much unused space to be seen from the top.

Make sure that you fit the psu wires trough the cable management slot before you screw down the psu.

ajchavez91

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
Very nice build, i have the non "k" version of your processor (i5 3570) and it's a BEAST in terms of "horse-power". I prefer Asus on the motherboard though, but that one has tomshardware approval so you can't go wrong.

for the case you could check THIS ONE. It looks really cool and has plenty space behind the mobo panel to hide the cables, plus the holes for the cables to come out and connect the components. Cool design and good airflow.

Good luck.

ss9417

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
I was recommended that case earlier, but I skipped it because it because I read about problems with GPU room. I should probably add my cards dimensions here.

ajchavez91

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
I would definitely fit your VGA if you remove the first HDD cage. According to the product website on Cooler Master, Maximum compatibility for VGA cards length is:

287 mm/11.3 inches (With HDD cage)
399 mm/6.4 inches (Without HDD cage)

BUT, if you are going to use the HDD cage, then discard that one and get THIS ONE instead. Plenty of room for pretty much any card on the market right now, as it supports VGA card lengths up to 450mm; plus, it's pretty cheap and it's corsair, so it can be trusted.

If you want a slightly cheaper option, you can check THIS ONE. Plenty of room too, and supports VGA cards up to 318mm long.

It's up to you, just make sure to check they have enough room for the hyper 212 though, i forgot to check that; but i'm pretty sure they're both compatible.

Good luck!

lxgoldsmith

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2012
gigabyte z77x is more reliable and provides better features, but it *sometimes* reaches a very high price. if their prices are rather similar or withing $20, go with gigabyte z77x-(u)d3h. since it is your first build and you might be overclocking in the future, I highly recommend gigabyte for its ultra-durable feature, giving a bit more esd and weather safety to builders.

The price/value mark tends to linger around $50, so the Antec One is reasonable at $55.
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/antec-case-one

ajchavez91

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012

I'm not entirely sure about that, but i would go for any of the other two. Better safe than sorry.

Good luck!

ajchavez91

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012

Both the Antec and Corsair will do the job. tha only thing to consider is wether you're gonna use liquid cooling in the future or not. The Corsair one comes with the holes in the back for liquid cooling systems; the Antec doesn't.

Computered

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
Case at or near $100...

Carbide 300R and 400R

NZXT Phantom 410

Lower priced....

Thermaltake Armor A90

Fractal Core 3000

Antec Three Hundred and One Hundred

These are all cases I have personally used multiple times for builds and all of them are solid choices.

If you could go a little higher....

Corsair Vengeance C70

Fractal Arc Midi

Fractal Define

Corsair Carbide 500

Thermaltake Overseer (this one if you like the looks if really a great case with some impressive cooling potential as well as the only Full tower mentioned)

Again these are all cases I have personal experience with and any one of them would do great for a build.

lxgoldsmith

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2012

I love that case. I didn't realize it was on sale. I got it when it was on sale and use it personally. it has a hinged swinging door for the 5.25"/3.5" drive bays, 2 front usb 2.0 and 2 usb 3.0. I am quite satisfied with it.

If you add any case fans, get a single 200mm fan for the top. it's nice that it's compatible with 120mm, but even with 2 120mm fans, it leaves too much unused space to be seen from the top.

Make sure that you fit the psu wires trough the cable management slot before you screw down the psu.

Solution