• Cooler Master
  • Cases
  • MSI
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
November 17, 2012 6:30:37 PM

Hello,

I recently bought an MSI R7970 OC (not the lightning one, it's reference). Case is a Cooler Master 690 ii Advanced. However, after 2 mins of Battlefield 3 the card hits 100 degrees C. I opened the case and the fans are running (on 100%) and all case fans are running.

Ambient temps are only like 15-20 C.

Idle temps are only 30-45 degrees, however.

How come it's overheating under load, but normal temperature under idle?

Thanks!

More about : msi 7970 overheating

November 17, 2012 6:48:02 PM

That is quite hot.but the case you have doesn't have the best air flow
November 17, 2012 7:06:31 PM

Set it to stock clocks see if that makes a difference, check in CCC that the fans are on automatic rather than stuck at a low speed due to manual being selected, open the case and run it to rule out insufficient case airflow. If all of those fail and the fan itself isn't dirt clogged, RMA it.
November 17, 2012 10:16:48 PM

Quote:
Hello,

I recently bought an MSI R7970 OC (not the lightning one, it's reference). Case is a Cooler Master 690 ii Advanced. However, after 2 mins of Battlefield 3 the card hits 100 degrees C. I opened the case and the fans are running (on 100%) and all case fans are running.

Ambient temps are only like 15-20 C.

Idle temps are only 30-45 degrees, however.

How come it's overheating under load, but normal temperature under idle?

Thanks!

The reference 7970 coolers are fairly insufficient for the card they cool (They tend to get REALLY hot). However, ensure that you are running your fan speeds at a high percentage such as like 80-100% in msi afterburner(Set it to manual, and choose between 80-100%). Keep the side panel off like the others suggested, and check temps in a game of battlefield 3. If it is still reaching 100 degrees Celsius, i would RMA before you fry the card.
!