Thicko question about an old Nokia phone.

Last response: in Brands
Share
February 21, 2005 7:39:00 AM

Hi Guys,
I've just been dragged kicking and screaming into the world of mobile
phones so please be gentle.
I have been given a Nokia phone and charger by my grandaughter. It's
nowhere near new but it will do to start with. The only way I can
describe it is that it has a little orange square ar the bottom with
the number 3330e next to it.
OK, the problem is that the number is not recognised when I try to
dial it from another phone. Is it possible that because the phone has
lain dormant for about a year with no credit on it (it's PAYG) it is
now dead or will the number be re-activated if I put some credit on
it?
The other problem, of course, is that I need to know the number (that
will work) before I add credit, lol
Any clues?
Cheers,
Steve.
February 21, 2005 4:04:22 PM

On 21 Feb 2005 04:39:00 -0800, i_hate_gardening@yahoo.co.uk (Steve)
wrote:

>Hi Guys,
>I've just been dragged kicking and screaming into the world of mobile
>phones so please be gentle.
>I have been given a Nokia phone and charger by my grandaughter. It's
>nowhere near new but it will do to start with. The only way I can
>describe it is that it has a little orange square ar the bottom with
>the number 3330e next to it.
>OK, the problem is that the number is not recognised when I try to
>dial it from another phone. Is it possible that because the phone has
>lain dormant for about a year with no credit on it (it's PAYG) it is
>now dead or will the number be re-activated if I put some credit on
>it?
>The other problem, of course, is that I need to know the number (that
>will work) before I add credit, lol
>Any clues?
>Cheers,
>Steve.

The SIM card has probably expired. They have a time limit on use
before they are turned off, you best bet is to go to your nearest
phone shop and ask if they sell Orange SIM cards. Pay no more than
£4.99 for one. This is what they charge on the web site. Or if you are
happy with buying on line go to www.orange.co.uk and order one.

--
arjftebhcf@jryfutbi.pb.hx<--ROT13 it
Spam Trap in Header

Freedom isn't FREE

http://borg.no-ip.com
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 4:55:38 PM

Steve wrote:

> describe it is that it has a little orange square ar the bottom with
> the number 3330e next to it.

I'll assume it's an Orange branded 3330.

> OK, the problem is that the number is not recognised when I try to
> dial it from another phone.

Can be due to a phone setting or a provider setting. In the phone,
check menu settings -> Call settings -> Own number sending, and set
it to "on", or "set by network" if the default is sending. However,
some networks override these settings so you might have to contact
your network operator. Maybe by dialing a service number with the
phone, I don't know how this works in the UK.

> The other problem, of course, is that I need to know the number (that
> will work) before I add credit, lol

Call the Orange helpdesk and give them the number printed on the SIM card
(that is the SIM number, not your phone number, but they are connected).
They'll probably be able to find the number connected to the card.

--
ir. J.C.A. Wevers // Physics and science fiction site:
johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl // http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/index.html