Best Performance For the Lowest Price (CPU & MOBO)

saganiuk

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2012
Been having a lot of problems with my old Dell Dimension 4700 (Pentium 4 3.00 Ghz). Recently purchased a new GPU and PSU hoping to keep it going for another year, but the problem has gotten worse. Here's a link to my thread regarding the current issue:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/359331-28-problems-booting-computer

Unless I can fix it, I'll have to work on a new build asap, but money is an issue. Below are the pieces that would be part of the new build. I'd like some recommendations regarding the best performing processor & motherboard to build around these parts for the lowest price possible, that can maybe handle a GPU upgrade in a year or two.

Everyday computer used a lot, some gaming and I'm okay with medium-high settings (although due to the problems I've been having, haven't really had a chance to test drive the 7750 yet).

HD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 (500GB) & Windows XP
MSI Radeon HD 7750
Corsair CX430 430W
eMachines 19-inch LCD monitor (E181hv) plus new keyboard & wireless mouse

The following parts were recommended to me, which would come pretty cheap but I'd have to figure out how to put it all together.

Intel Pentium G860 Sandy Bridge 3.0Ghz
Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3V
G.Skill Value Series 8GB Ram

To save myself some hassle I am leaning towards using NCIX's PC Builder, for $50 they will build and test the items ordered. They don't have the G860 on the list, but I am considering the Intel Core i3 3220. If you want you can take a look at the various CPU and motherboard options listed there.

http://pc.ncix.com/pcbuilder/index.php?action=config&id=3948684&platformid=1001

For the DIY option, the G860 is on sale at $59.99 for one more day ...

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=72280&promoid=1033

Keeping compatibility, performance and cost in mind, what is the best option?

Solution
yes corsair is fine and 430 watts is plenty. i would look at something like this. the gigabyte motherboard would also work with either the i3 or 860. im not sure how much the G.Skill Value Series 8GB Ram is but if its more then the patriot vipers get those instead. and check your private msgs.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($109.99 @ NCIX)
Motherboard: MSI B75MA-E33 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($39.99 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($31.99 @ NCIX)
Case: BitFenix Merc Alpha (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ NCIX)...

jasont78

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
not familiar with that case but it will never surprise me if you need a new case dell is really good at using custom pcbs which doesnt allow new mobo's to go into your case. build it yourself with that 50 bucks u can go up to an i3. you wont be able to reuse your xp either its linked to your dell motherboard. your gonna need win 7 64 bit otherwise your wasting your money getting more than 4 gig of ram cos a 32bit file system wont see 8gb, more like 3.8gb or be able to use it, and xp will be crippling your gpu too your stuck in directx 9 which the 7 series gpu's dont like, say hello to directx 11 and all the pretty stuff that comes along with it

saganiuk

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2012
Yeah, although bang for the buck is pretty minimal, I was leaning towards buying a new mid-tower case as part of this upgrade. The one the PC builder lists for the i3 is a Bitfenix Merc Alpha Steel for $59.99. There are a few that are cheaper on the list, but not by much.

The larger issue is the HD. I thought about just getting a new one with Windows 7 or 8 installed, but I was leaning towards keeping my current one to save money and also hang on to all the stuff I've got on there. You bring up a good point though, I'm probably not that far away from needing to wipe the HD anyway so I may as well use this opportunity to get Win 7 or 8, especially if it will make that big a difference in performance.

The cost keeps going up, lol. That is why I was hoping to ride the Dell until the summer, but I am having a lot of problems booting up right now.

saganiuk

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2012

Thanks, I'll read and watch those later tonight. I was leaning DIY initially, but after hearing about "thermal gel" I figured it might be better to leave this step in the hands of the professionals. In the end, I am certain that I can do it, but it will involve a lot of time spent figuring out what the hell is going on, time and effort spent putting it together, time spent installing a new version of Windows etc. that in the end will probably be well worth the $50, which also includes the knowledge that it was done correctly.

saganiuk

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2012
I guess my main question is the comparison between the G860 and the i3 3220 (also how they compare to other options in this price range), and what the best motherboard would be to go with them and also the other parts listed.

In the PC builder, the i3 2100, 2120 and 3220 are virtually the same price, I assume the 3220 is the best of those options, what is the difference between them?

jonjonjon

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
the 860 is a duel core and the i3 is a duel core with hyperthreading so it has 4 cores/threads. there is a substantial difference between the 2.

another option instead of the i3-3220 for $109.99 would be the fx-6300 for $129.99 which is a 6 core cpu but it doesn't have as good single threaded performance. i would recommend getting a 4 core cpu if you can afford it.

you can also buy that same case for $40.
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=77540&vpn=BFC-MRC-100-KKX1-U3&manufacture=BitFenix&promoid=1033

jasont78

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009

with the cpus your wanting you cant overclock them so you might as well stick with the factory heatsink with that the thermal paste is preapplied all you do is sit it on the cpu and push the 4 pins in easy as

jasont78

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009

stop mixing your words you'll confuse the poor guy, the i3 is 2 cores that can work on 4 threads at once, not cores and yes it is better than the pentium. the fx is a POS which doesnt really have 6 cores (six integer units sharing 3 cores resources) if its gaming intel are better bang for your buck, if its productivity the line gets muddied

saganiuk

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2012
Right now, I am leaning towards this choice from the PC Builder:

Intel Core i3 3220
Gigabyte B75M-DH3 mATX LGA 1155
Bitfenix Merc Alpha Tower Case
Samsung 24x DVD writer
8GB (2x4GB) G.Skill F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL Ripjaws RAM (default is Kingston 4GB, but I figure it's worth a few extra bucks to get 8 now, anyone have an issue with this choice of RAM?)

$386 to go with the parts listed above

Plus I would need to get a copy of Windows 7 or 8. I could save $50 plus maybe another $20-50 buying the parts individually, and putting it together myself.

jonjonjon

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012

how am i mixing my words. i said 2 cores and 2 threads which is essentially 4 cores. the i3 will smoke the 860 for gaming. you can say whatever you want about amd but its still a 6 core cpu. he asked what other options there were and i told him.

http://techreport.com/review/23750/amd-fx-8350-processor-reviewed
These "modules" are a fundamental structure in AMD's latest architectures, and they house two "tightly coupled" integer cores that share certain resources, including a front-end, L2 cache, and floating-point unit. Thus, AMD bills a four-module FX processor as an eight-core CPU, and we can't entirely object to that label.

jonjonjon

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
yes corsair is fine and 430 watts is plenty. i would look at something like this. the gigabyte motherboard would also work with either the i3 or 860. im not sure how much the G.Skill Value Series 8GB Ram is but if its more then the patriot vipers get those instead. and check your private msgs.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($109.99 @ NCIX)
Motherboard: MSI B75MA-E33 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($39.99 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($31.99 @ NCIX)
Case: BitFenix Merc Alpha (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($39.25 @ DirectCanada)
Total: $261.21
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-02 00:33 EST-0500)

Solution

saganiuk

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2012
Thanks. I was fine with spending $50 on the pc builder, but with an additional $50 saved on the parts, it becomes a very difficult decision. Might have to go with your suggestions and build it myself.

saganiuk

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2012
Ordered these parts on Jan 2, should have them shortly except for the motherboard which is on "back order". I cannot get through to this company (busy signal), may need to get one elsewhere but I may be computer-less for a week or two.

Unfortunately starting yesterday I have been unable to boot up the current computer. Finally got it running now after trying 15-20 times the last 2 days (problem described in thread linked in first post).

My question is this: what will happen when I assemble all the new parts along with my existing Windows XP Hard Drive? I am hoping to use that setup for a couple of days, just long enough to save some stuff from my hard drive. Concerned that it won't work at all due to drivers and the connection to the Dell board. I will install Windows 7 but I just need it to work for a day or two, will it work long and well enough to do that or will I get error messages?