I am seeking info on Display Driver Management Layer (DDML..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.drawing,microsoft.public.dotnet.general,microsoft.public.platformsdk.gdi,microsoft.public.tw.windows,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

My own searches have proven to be of little help in understanding the
implementation of this technology (available since Win98).

Any information that you could share on Display Driver Management Layer
(DDML) usage would be greatly appreciated.

Jim Hubbard
3 answers Last reply
More about seeking info display driver management layer ddml
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.drawing,microsoft.public.dotnet.general,microsoft.public.platformsdk.gdi,microsoft.public.tw.windows,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

    Hi,

    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/ddk/default.mspx

    Ken
    -----------------------
    "Jim Hubbard" <reply@groups.please> wrote in message
    My own searches have proven to be of little help in understanding the
    implementation of this technology (available since Win98).

    Any information that you could share on Display Driver Management Layer
    (DDML) usage would be greatly appreciated.

    Jim Hubbard
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.drawing,microsoft.public.dotnet.general,microsoft.public.platformsdk.gdi,microsoft.public.tw.windows,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

    Ken,

    Thanks, but I have the 2003 DDK.

    I found the following in the 2003 DDK.....
    Mirror
    [This is preliminary documentation and subject to change.]

    SUMMARY

    This sample demonstrates how to use a driver to perform video mirroring.
    When video mirroring is active, each time the system draws to the primary
    video device at a location inside the mirrored area, a copy of the draw
    operation is executed on the mirrored video device in real time. With this
    mirroring scheme, you can simultaneously draw the same output to several
    video devices. Since the driver allocates memory dynamically for targets,
    the number of displays that your system can support depends on how much free
    memory you have at mirror-time.

    This sample is designed to provide information on a standard, generic method
    of mirroring. This eliminates the need for special case-by-case solutions
    which were used before this support was added to the system. The sample runs
    only on the Microsoft® Windows® 2000 platform. It features commented source
    code that documents in detail how the code works, to make it easy to modify
    and extend. Please note that this is the first version of the video mirror
    sample. Additional functionality may be added to the sample in future
    releases.

    The sample is comprised of three pieces:

    a.. The display driver, in \Ntddk\Src\Video\Displays\Mirror\Dll. b.. The
    video miniport driver, in \Ntddk\Src\Video\Miniport\Mirror. The miniport
    driver included here is a skeleton. It simply returns success status for all
    miniport calls made by the system as there is no real hardware controlled by
    the mirror sample.

    c.. An application that is a sample user-mode service, in
    \Ntddk\Src\Video\Displays\Mirror\App.

    For additional information about this sample and about mirror drivers in

    general, please see \Ntddk\Src\Video\Displays\Mirror\App\Readme.txt, and the

    Mirror Drivers topic in the Graphics Design Guide.

    BUILDING THE SAMPLE
    Install the driver by using the included .ini file, then run the sample
    application. The application will attach the driver to the desktop, and
    mirroring will be active. At present, the sample application is a
    command-line Win32 program.

    Notes: The sample is x86 compatible. It also compiles correctly in the
    64-bit environment. All aspects of the kernel-mode execution environment
    apply to the display and video miniport driver portions of this sample.

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------It is
    c/c++....languages I do not speak. And, it seems that writing a generic
    driver using this method is slightly over my head.

    I can't seem to shake the thought that there should be something in the GDI
    APIs that would allow you to hook the GDI stream without all of this. After
    all, most (if not all) drawing to the screen is done through GDI. That's
    what GDI is for....to abstract the hardware layer from the software layer
    and offer a generic approach to writing to the hardware (screens in this
    case - but may also be printers, etc.).

    However, this method may be the most efficient - and efficiency is exactly
    what I need for speed when replicating a desktop across the internet.

    This subject seems almost taboo. I cannot find anyone with experience in
    this area that is willing to speak on it or be hired to write some code
    based on DDML.

    It is like a "hidden technology" that Microsoft doesn't really want to talk
    about.

    I think it is the same thing used for Remote Desktop - hence the speed of
    RDP.

    I have looked from Georgia to California to India to the Ukraine......
    NOBODY has the knowledge that I need (at least that will talk about it or
    code for $$).

    Thanks for the effort though....

    Jim Hubbard

    "Ken Tucker [MVP]" <vb2ae@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

    > Hi,
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/ddk/default.mspx
    >
    > Ken
    > -----------------------
    > "Jim Hubbard" <reply@groups.please> wrote in message
    > My own searches have proven to be of little help in understanding the
    > implementation of this technology (available since Win98).
    >
    > Any information that you could share on Display Driver Management Layer
    > (DDML) usage would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Jim Hubbard

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.drawing,microsoft.public.dotnet.general,microsoft.public.platformsdk.gdi,microsoft.public.tw.windows,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

    Hi Jim,
    I do not know DDML but i can expose some helping ideas that might help
    you.

    {{ try to trace the RemoteDesktop API calls to know what it is doing behind
    the scene }}

    "Jim Hubbard" <reply@groups.please> wrote in message
    > My own searches have proven to be of little help in understanding the
    > implementation of this technology (available since Win98).
    >
    > Any information that you could share on Display Driver Management Layer
    > (DDML) usage would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Jim Hubbard

Drivers Framework Management Microsoft Device Driver Windows XP Displays