Any preliminary thoughts on Nikon D50 vs. Digital Rebel XT

Last response: in Digital Camera
June 23, 2005 12:19:45 AM

I'm new to digital SLR and will be getting a camera to take some shots
for my kids' sporting events (mainly baseball/softball and basketball)
and am sort of the "team photographer" for one of the teams. Both the
Nikon D50 (I know, it's brand new) and Digital Rebel XT are intriguing.
Any thoughts? Or is it too early to judge the D50?

I'd appreciate any insights.
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 5:12:46 AM

"codetalker@hotmail.com" <codetalker@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Both the Nikon D50 and Digital Rebel XT are intriguing.

And neither has a bright glass pentaprism instead of a dim pentamirror
finder. The _only_ DSLR with pentaprism in this price range is the Pentax
*ist-DS, which can use _any_ Pentax lens ever made. Check the cheap old
Pentax lenses on eBay and your jaw will drop. The Pentax is very handy, and
seems designed for us old-timers born before automation.

--
Anti-Spam address: my last name at his dot com
Charles Gillen -- Reston, Virginia, USA

"codetalker@hotmail.com" <codetalker@hotmail.com> wrote in

> I'm new to digital SLR and will be getting a camera to take some shots
> for my kids' sporting events (mainly baseball/softball and basketball)
> and am sort of the "team photographer" for one of the teams. Both the
> Nikon D50 (I know, it's brand new) and Digital Rebel XT are intriguing.
> Any thoughts? Or is it too early to judge the D50?

I think the D70(s) is closer to the Rebel XT equivalent and will give you
more control if you eventually desire it. Other than that D70/D50/Rebel/XT
is mostly a matter of whether you have any existing lenses (which it
doesn't sound like you do) and what feels best to you. You need to go to a
store and try holding/shooting them yourself.
June 23, 2005 8:32:55 PM

<codetalker@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm new to digital SLR and will be getting a camera to take some shots
> for my kids' sporting events (mainly baseball/softball and basketball)
> and am sort of the "team photographer" for one of the teams. Both the
> Nikon D50 (I know, it's brand new) and Digital Rebel XT are intriguing.
> Any thoughts? Or is it too early to judge the D50?
>
> I'd appreciate any insights.

The DRebel XT is very fast in turning on and shutter release, so if you
wander the games and sidelines not constantly shooting pictures, this
feature should be compared to the others. (I don't know the others well
enough to comment)
As far as price goes, be sure you have plenty of money left over for a
nice fast zoom lens - since basketball is indoor, you're often working in
limited light and fast moving subjects. The benefits of a very good zoom
lens cannot be understated in this environment.

Dave
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 8:32:56 PM

David Geesaman wrote:

> The DRebel XT is very fast in turning on and shutter release, so if you
> wander the games and sidelines not constantly shooting pictures, this
> feature should be compared to the others. (I don't know the others well
> enough to comment)

The D70 turns on pretty much instantly.
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 11:03:27 PM

In article <d9f69o01ak0@news4.newsguy.com>,
David Geesaman <dgeesamannospam@yahoo.com> wrote:
><codetalker@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I'm new to digital SLR and will be getting a camera to take some shots
>> for my kids' sporting events (mainly baseball/softball and basketball)
>> and am sort of the "team photographer" for one of the teams. Both the
>> Nikon D50 (I know, it's brand new) and Digital Rebel XT are intriguing.
>> Any thoughts? Or is it too early to judge the D50?
>>
>> I'd appreciate any insights.
>
> The DRebel XT is very fast in turning on and shutter release, so if you
>wander the games and sidelines not constantly shooting pictures, this
>feature should be compared to the others. (I don't know the others well
>enough to comment)

If I switch on the D70 as I am raising it to my eye, by the time
it is there, it is ready to take a photo. I don't think that you need
it any faster than that. :-)

The D70s and the D50 should be pretty much equivalent in that
matter.

Enjoy,
DoN.
June 24, 2005 12:37:58 AM

DoN. Nichols wrote:
> In article <d9f69o01ak0@news4.newsguy.com>,
> David Geesaman <dgeesamannospam@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>><codetalker@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I'm new to digital SLR and will be getting a camera to take some shots
>>>for my kids' sporting events (mainly baseball/softball and basketball)
>>>and am sort of the "team photographer" for one of the teams. Both the
>>>Nikon D50 (I know, it's brand new) and Digital Rebel XT are intriguing.
>>>Any thoughts? Or is it too early to judge the D50?
>>>
>>>I'd appreciate any insights.
>>
>> The DRebel XT is very fast in turning on and shutter release, so if you
>>wander the games and sidelines not constantly shooting pictures, this
>>feature should be compared to the others. (I don't know the others well
>>enough to comment)
>

> If I switch on the D70 as I am raising it to my eye, by the time
> it is there, it is ready to take a photo. I don't think that you need
> it any faster than that. :-)
>
> The D70s and the D50 should be pretty much equivalent in that
> matter.
>
> Enjoy,
> DoN.

Yep, I checked the specs. Makes my 300d look like some seriously old
hat. :o (

Dave
!