katimas

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012
i have recently upgraded my 8800gtx to 295gtx, re-installed windows and in any game, like borderlands 2 or ghost recon future soldier, it is crashing. it suddenly stops and start making strange sounds like vibrating or something. then monitor turns black, saying that cable is not connected but system is not restarting. after manual restart everything is OK (exploring in windows is OK). it fails only in games.
can somebody suggest me what i should do to stop this?

katimas

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012
yes, i have latest drivers.

Temperature is about 50 C.

i have deleted drivers and installed win7 basic drivers, and strange noise disappeared. again installed 306.97 and all this mess start again.

could it be that drivers are too new? or something?

Looks like you got one of the common problems that this card is known for and the only way to fix it is to replace the bad inductors so basically right now as it is there isn't enough power going to the gpu from the power vrm on the card. So it is bricked till someone decides to rebuild it. R45 to R60 is a safe range judging that the same works very well with the 280.

whooleo

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010

Yes I forgot! You are completely right. @ OP: I would definitely look up the inductors/VRMs.