New gpu, now every game stutter

rudy2112

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
I upgraded my video card from ati 4890 to nvidia gtx 660. I have High frame rate on every game, but every game stutters. Prior to installing new card I uninstalled ati 4890 with your uninstaller, I then ran c cleaner. Any ideas.

mesab66

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Sounds like a driver issue - you are getting "High frame rates on every game"?

What are your PC specs and gaming res?

Try completely removing the 660 drivers then installing a new download of the latest ones from nvidia.

rudy2112

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
cpu - Phenom II x4 955 (3.2), Mobo - Gigaabyte GA-MA770T-UD3p, nvidia GTX660 8 gig ddr3 ram, PSU - Antec Earthwatts 750, windows 7 64. 24" monitor at 1920x1200.

Nvidia driver version 306.97

rudy2112

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Im about to lose my mind. I returned the 660 for the 660ti, still same thing. high fps but constant stuttering. It doesnt matter if I turn setting down to low and turn every graphic option to off, including vsync. Still constant stutter. Any ideas.

rudy2112

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
no, I just did last week before the new card, I would hate to go through that all over again, If thats what it comes down to I will. I used your uninstaller to remove amd, then driver cleaner, then ccleaner.

What uninstaller? I/we don't have one so what are you talking about? :heink:

Leo Kislev

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
If you have a powerful gaming rig just like me (powerful and healthy parts CPU, MOBO, GPU, RAM, PSU, SPU, HDD), and you still have micro-stuttering despite having high fps, I suggest you to check if you are experiencing input lag by USB keyboard/mouse.
Go to device manager and disable HID for mouse, keyboard and for everything else having HID that you see there, you should still be able to use your keyboard and mouse but, all the special keys in your keyboard and mouse will be disabled like volume control, quick access to calculator, quick access to web browser, etc.
Next step is to make sure you only have one language installed in your keyboard, you probably have english as default but, you might also have russian or something else, make sure its only one.
Try your games and see if they stutter again.

I was having a very weird and random micro-stuttering issue in almost every game, I went crazy trying to figure out what would case those annoying micro-stutters till I figured out it was just the input lag.

rudy2112

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
So I returned the 660ti, bought a hd 7950 wiped drive my hard drive, re installed windows, I have latest drivers, and still stutters. All my games run smooth with 4890, but half the frame rate. I disabled hid devices, and that did not help. Anyone have any other ideas. Thanks,

determinologyz

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012

1. Dont honestly know why you flipped around and replaced so many mid-top end cards the 660 was worth it..The 660ti was over priced due to sripped of memory bandwidth and rops but you should try to uninstall using fusion i believe it was drive sweeper before they changed it and reinstall drivers and see how that works.

Can you give any more details on this? I'm planning a switch from Radeon to GeForce and wasn't planning to bother with a full re-install...

In theory deleting any and all ati.dll files from the system32 folder prior to removal/rebooting should prevent the need for that.

In theory, there shouldn't be any ati.dll files after uninstall... sounds a bit dodgy to me. That would be a major scandal wouldn't it if AMD were sabotaging nVidia performance? If that's what's happening though, I'll definitely be very careful to remove all files the uninstaller misses or just fresh install Windows. Guess it's a good thing to do from time to time anyway.

Actually some if not all of those files are there by default, how else do you think Windows knows what card is in the PC when you install Windows for the first time? MS used to use their own default driver but Vista and W7 use an older driver from Ati and Nvidia as the default driver and so it makes sense that those files will be updated from time to time so by deleting them they should replaced by their older default originals.

I assume they are backed up in a .cab file somewhere as I've had the files reappear upon rebooting and without network access being available. Does CCC still require a .NET update when it's installed?