Best HD 7950?

ProSnipor

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012
Hey guys, first post ever here on tom's :kaola: . Anyways I was curious as to what 7950 is the communities favorite. I currently own an XFX HD 5770, and was planning on buying their DD 7950. Any thoughts/opinions on this card? Or could you recommend something you find better?

Oh and yes I realize people love to preach sapphire for the 7950, but i hear that they are voltage locked (i don't plan on messing with voltages too much, however i hear they are locked at a lower voltage than other cards. Thus limiting overclock ability.)

Solution
of what i know:

The MSI Twin Frozr 3 and Sapphire OC have certain models using a 7970 PCB, which allows for better overclocking because better VRM design.

7950 Sapphire Vapor-X has a chance of being voltage locked, though it has been confirmed that it can be changed with a flashed bios, so if you aren't comfortable with flashing bios' then it may not be the best choice if you want that voltage control.

The HIS cards cooler is pretty effective at cooling.

ProSnipor

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012

I mean these were Newegg reviews i was reading, most likely not the most reliable place for information like that lol. I'll do some more digging around and see if i find anything to support if they do or don't. In the mean time, anyone else have any other suggestions or comments?

ProSnipor

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012

That was the card i was going to buy if i went with sapphire. Have you overclocked it at all? If you have, what kind of clock speeds did you push it to?

of what i know:

The MSI Twin Frozr 3 and Sapphire OC have certain models using a 7970 PCB, which allows for better overclocking because better VRM design.

7950 Sapphire Vapor-X has a chance of being voltage locked, though it has been confirmed that it can be changed with a flashed bios, so if you aren't comfortable with flashing bios' then it may not be the best choice if you want that voltage control.

The HIS cards cooler is pretty effective at cooling.

Solution

ProSnipor

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012
Yea i was leaning towards a dual fan card, because i have 3 200mm fans, and a 120mm fan in my case , so i figured the heat dumped into the case by the card wouldn't be a problem. I was looking at an msi 670 power edition, but i switched over to a 7950 due to budget, and if OC'ed high enough it can match a 670. So i guess going with the twin Frozr from MSI wouldn't be a bad idea.

MainStreaming

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

The 7950 already matches the 670 :p