room for improvement?

skimzzz

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2001
I am running an AMD 650 t-bird on a board with 4x AGP and an ATI all in wonder pro 128 video card. When I try to watch DVDs on the computer, the picture quality leaves something to be desired. There is no problem with framerate, but the pictures appear 'fuzzy.'

Will upgrading either CPU or video card make DVD playback any better? I was under the impression that my system was more than enough for DVD playback (considering I can even get passable playback with my PII 300 mhz, 2x AGP backup).

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
There are quiet a few different variables that go into having a great DVD expereince, the number one way by not having Windows ME!!!! OK enough of that. Can you give us all your system specs. I was running a Pentium 500, with 256 MB of RAM on the next card up, the AIW Radeon. Both use the same DVD decoding engine (to my knowlege) and should give you a sharp picture. I even have a friend with the original AIW AGP, and has DVD looked great, when his HP was in a good mode so you should not have any problems. Also, how old, and what kind of Monitor are your using?

If it works for you then don't fix it.

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have 3 computer dvd players and I can tell you at first I was not happy with the quality. A computer monitor is not very forgiving and at a normal sitting distance my 17" monitor is actually twice as big visually as my 32" tv at a normal viewing distance. Does someone else have a setup that looks better or are you just disapointed in your own system?

I've got my main system hooked up to the 32" tv and it looks great on the tv even when the monitor looks a little fuzzy. DVDs seem to me like they look better on a cheaper monitor that cannot show the flaws then a good one that can.

Remember if you ain't Muslim you ain't Shiite.