Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

installing USB2 driver

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
December 27, 2004 1:30:51 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I have XP sp1 bought two years ago.
Now a video camera which requires USB2 does not work.

1. How can I tell if I have USB or USB2?
2. Does XP sp1 provide USB2?
3. Where can I download a USB2 driver for XP? I searched the Web, but the
info is confusing.
4. In w2000 I can update a hardware driver through Control Panel -- System.
How do I do it in XP?

More about : installing usb2 driver

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
December 27, 2004 1:30:52 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

<aa> wrote in message news:uyY7oH46EHA.1292@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl
> I have XP sp1 bought two years ago.
> Now a video camera which requires USB2 does not work.
>
> 1. How can I tell if I have USB or USB2?
> 2. Does XP sp1 provide USB2?
> 3. Where can I download a USB2 driver for XP? I searched the Web, but
> the info is confusing.
> 4. In w2000 I can update a hardware driver through Control Panel --
> System. How do I do it in XP?

Fix your clock and/or time zone.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
Please respond in Newsgroup only. Do not send email
http://www.fjsmjs.com
Protect your PC
http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/defau...
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
December 27, 2004 1:30:52 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

<aa> wrote in message news:uyY7oH46EHA.1292@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>I have XP sp1 bought two years ago.
> Now a video camera which requires USB2 does not work.
>
> 1. How can I tell if I have USB or USB2?
> 2. Does XP sp1 provide USB2?
> 3. Where can I download a USB2 driver for XP? I searched the Web, but the
> info is confusing.
> 4. In w2000 I can update a hardware driver through Control Panel --
> System.
> How do I do it in XP?
>
>
Help is your friend. Use it and you will find....

To install USB 2.0 controller drivers

Before completing this procedure, determine if the USB 2.0 controller
drivers you have on your computer are installed. To determine this, do the
following:

1.. Open Computer Management.
2.. In the console tree, click Device Manager.
Where?

a.. Computer Management
b.. System Tools
c.. Device Manager
3.. On the View menu, click Devices by type.
4.. In the details pane, click the plus sign to the left of Universal
Serial Bus controllers.
If the word "Enhanced" is included in any of the listed controllers, your
computer has USB 2.0 controller drivers installed.

If you cannot find the word "Enhanced" in any of the listed controllers,
perform the following procedure:

1.. Stop using any USB devices (such as a printer or Web cam) except the
mouse and keyboard.
2.. In the details pane, click the plus sign to the left of Other devices.
Then, under Other devices right-click Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller,
and then click Update Driver.
3.. Follow the steps in the Hardware Update Wizard to complete the
procedure. When you are finished, you might be prompted to restart your
computer.
Notes

a.. To open Computer Management, click Start, and then click Control
Panel. Double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer
Management.
b.. If Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller is not listed under Other
devices, you cannot install a USB 2.0 driver. To find out more about
installing these drivers, contact the manufacturer of your computer.


begin 666 shortcutCold.gif
M1TE&.#EA"0`)`*(``(AZA68)>\#<P+_4OH" @ ```````````"P`````"0`)
B```#'$@$W"HCR##>B+*2.ZG"E+=EEQ9=0OI%J:J\< (`.P``
`
end

begin 666 plusCold.gif
M1TE&.#EA"0`)`)$``/___\;#QH" @ ```"P`````"0`)`$ "%)2/B3'=88(<
..$HI*9:QULWY-(-<5`#L`
`
end

begin 666 note.gif
M1TE&.#EA"@`*`+/_`(V,C?__S/_,`/\%!?]=7<# P-/3T\# P(6%A0("`@``
M`````````````````````"'Y! $```4`+ `````*``H`0 0H$,AI#AD@Z)U*
AR1HB)(8'<N,7&EJG;JV P4GZ&@D2(";<>HF@,.B)```[
`
end
Related resources
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
December 27, 2004 2:12:31 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

See if
"Availability of the Windows XP SP1 USB 1.1 and 2.0 Update",
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822603
will help.
--
Mikhail Zhilin
http://www.aha.ru/~mwz
Sorry, no technical support by e-mail.
Please reply to the newsgroups only.
======
On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 22:30:51 -0000, <aa> wrote:

>I have XP sp1 bought two years ago.
>Now a video camera which requires USB2 does not work.
>
>1. How can I tell if I have USB or USB2?
>2. Does XP sp1 provide USB2?
>3. Where can I download a USB2 driver for XP? I searched the Web, but the
>info is confusing.
>4. In w2000 I can update a hardware driver through Control Panel -- System.
>How do I do it in XP?
>
December 27, 2004 3:51:28 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Thanks,
I downloaded and installed the recommended file, re-booted, but still get
the same error from the camera driver: Cannot initiate the camera.

On the same computer I have XP Home Ver. 5.1, Sp.1 (same version and Sp as
the English one)Russian version installed in another partition and it works
fine there, but for a reason I need it on English version.
So I guessed that the Russian version has a driver which the English one
does not have. However the one on the MS site you refered to, did not help.



"Mikhail Zhilin" <mwz@x.REMOVEx.aha.ru> wrote in message
news:tn6us096jqcmehfiv4aut42fefm4shq81c@4ax.com...
> See if
> "Availability of the Windows XP SP1 USB 1.1 and 2.0 Update",
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822603
> will help.
> --
> Mikhail Zhilin
> http://www.aha.ru/~mwz
> Sorry, no technical support by e-mail.
> Please reply to the newsgroups only.
> ======
> On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 22:30:51 -0000, <aa> wrote:
>
> >I have XP sp1 bought two years ago.
> >Now a video camera which requires USB2 does not work.
> >
> >1. How can I tell if I have USB or USB2?
> >2. Does XP sp1 provide USB2?
> >3. Where can I download a USB2 driver for XP? I searched the Web, but the
> >info is confusing.
> >4. In w2000 I can update a hardware driver through Control Panel --
System.
> >How do I do it in XP?
> >
>
December 27, 2004 4:01:54 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"Jone Doe" <fake@nowhere.org> wrote in message
news:o pPrrd46EHA.2180@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>
> <aa> wrote in message news:uyY7oH46EHA.1292@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> >I have XP sp1 bought two years ago.
> > Now a video camera which requires USB2 does not work.
> >
> > 1. How can I tell if I have USB or USB2?
> > 2. Does XP sp1 provide USB2?
> > 3. Where can I download a USB2 driver for XP? I searched the Web, but
the
> > info is confusing.
> > 4. In w2000 I can update a hardware driver through Control Panel --
> > System.
> > How do I do it in XP?
> >
> >
> Help is your friend. Use it and you will find....
>
> To install USB 2.0 controller drivers
>
> Before completing this procedure, determine if the USB 2.0 controller
> drivers you have on your computer are installed. To determine this, do the
> following:
>
> 1.. Open Computer Management.
> 2.. In the console tree, click Device Manager.
> Where?
>
> a.. Computer Management
> b.. System Tools
> c.. Device Manager
> 3.. On the View menu, click Devices by type.
> 4.. In the details pane, click the plus sign to the left of Universal
> Serial Bus controllers.
> If the word "Enhanced" is included in any of the listed controllers, your
> computer has USB 2.0 controller drivers installed.
>
> If you cannot find the word "Enhanced" in any of the listed controllers,
> perform the following procedure:
>
> 1.. Stop using any USB devices (such as a printer or Web cam) except the
> mouse and keyboard.
> 2.. In the details pane, click the plus sign to the left of Other
devices.
> Then, under Other devices right-click Universal Serial Bus (USB)
Controller,
> and then click Update Driver.
> 3.. Follow the steps in the Hardware Update Wizard to complete the
> procedure. When you are finished, you might be prompted to restart your
> computer.
> Notes
>
> a.. To open Computer Management, click Start, and then click Control
> Panel. Double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer
> Management.
> b.. If Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller is not listed under Other
> devices, you cannot install a USB 2.0 driver. To find out more about
> installing these drivers, contact the manufacturer of your computer.
>
>
>
Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation.

1. I do not have USB under Other Devices
2. However I have the word "Enhanced" under the Universal Serial Bus
controllers section in the following line:

SiS PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller - does this mean that I do have
USB2?

Apart from this I have there:
SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller
USB Mass Storage Device
USB Root Hub

Also, if this is relevant, on this very computer I have XP Home Ver. 5.1,
Sp.1 Russian version (same version and Sp numbers as the English one)
installed in another partition and the camera works fine there, but for a
reason I need it on English version. In the English version an attempt to
start the camera generates an error "cannot initiate the camera"
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
December 27, 2004 4:01:55 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

If you have enhanced drivers you have USB 2.0 support.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

If you knew as much as you thought you know,
You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!


<aa> wrote in message news:uX%23FQc56EHA.2180@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>
> "Jone Doe" <fake@nowhere.org> wrote in message
> news:o pPrrd46EHA.2180@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>>
>> <aa> wrote in message news:uyY7oH46EHA.1292@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> >I have XP sp1 bought two years ago.
>> > Now a video camera which requires USB2 does not work.
>> >
>> > 1. How can I tell if I have USB or USB2?
>> > 2. Does XP sp1 provide USB2?
>> > 3. Where can I download a USB2 driver for XP? I searched the Web, but
> the
>> > info is confusing.
>> > 4. In w2000 I can update a hardware driver through Control Panel --
>> > System.
>> > How do I do it in XP?
>> >
>> >
>> Help is your friend. Use it and you will find....
>>
>> To install USB 2.0 controller drivers
>>
>> Before completing this procedure, determine if the USB 2.0 controller
>> drivers you have on your computer are installed. To determine this, do
>> the
>> following:
>>
>> 1.. Open Computer Management.
>> 2.. In the console tree, click Device Manager.
>> Where?
>>
>> a.. Computer Management
>> b.. System Tools
>> c.. Device Manager
>> 3.. On the View menu, click Devices by type.
>> 4.. In the details pane, click the plus sign to the left of Universal
>> Serial Bus controllers.
>> If the word "Enhanced" is included in any of the listed controllers, your
>> computer has USB 2.0 controller drivers installed.
>>
>> If you cannot find the word "Enhanced" in any of the listed controllers,
>> perform the following procedure:
>>
>> 1.. Stop using any USB devices (such as a printer or Web cam) except
>> the
>> mouse and keyboard.
>> 2.. In the details pane, click the plus sign to the left of Other
> devices.
>> Then, under Other devices right-click Universal Serial Bus (USB)
> Controller,
>> and then click Update Driver.
>> 3.. Follow the steps in the Hardware Update Wizard to complete the
>> procedure. When you are finished, you might be prompted to restart your
>> computer.
>> Notes
>>
>> a.. To open Computer Management, click Start, and then click Control
>> Panel. Double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer
>> Management.
>> b.. If Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller is not listed under Other
>> devices, you cannot install a USB 2.0 driver. To find out more about
>> installing these drivers, contact the manufacturer of your computer.
>>
>>
>>
> Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation.
>
> 1. I do not have USB under Other Devices
> 2. However I have the word "Enhanced" under the Universal Serial Bus
> controllers section in the following line:
>
> SiS PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller - does this mean that I do have
> USB2?
>
> Apart from this I have there:
> SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller
> USB Mass Storage Device
> USB Root Hub
>
> Also, if this is relevant, on this very computer I have XP Home Ver. 5.1,
> Sp.1 Russian version (same version and Sp numbers as the English one)
> installed in another partition and the camera works fine there, but for a
> reason I need it on English version. In the English version an attempt to
> start the camera generates an error "cannot initiate the camera"
>
>
December 27, 2004 4:40:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

>If you have enhanced drivers you have USB 2.0 support.

Thanks, Richard.

I am just trying to find out of I have enhanced drivers

All I know is that I have:

SiS PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller

and its properties say that the device is working properly.
The Device usage field reads "Use this device (enable)"

Does this mean that I do have USB 2.0 support ?
December 27, 2004 4:40:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

aa wrote:

>>If you have enhanced drivers you have USB 2.0 support.
>
>
> Thanks, Richard.
>
> I am just trying to find out of I have enhanced drivers
>
> All I know is that I have:
>
> SiS PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller
>
> and its properties say that the device is working properly.
> The Device usage field reads "Use this device (enable)"
>
> Does this mean that I do have USB 2.0 support ?
>
>

Yes. In device manager, for this device double click on it and then on
the driver tab, driver details. It should say usbehci.sys. That means
you do have USB 2.0 support.
!