Ink Jet Printer Streaks Photos

Hi,

Has anyone had this problem and cured it? I can think of a lot of things to
_try_, but would like to hear from someone who has had it and fixed it.

A little more detail - the printer will streak prints I make on glossy photo
paper. If I make the same prints on regular copier paper, they are OK - no
visible streaking. I haven't tried "flat" finish photo paper, but don't want
that result anyway.

In my experience, which is fairly limited in this area, ink jet printers do
this frequently. I decided not to buy one, a 3 in one printer/copier/fax,
because the guy demonstrating it in the store couldn't get it to stop streaking
the output on photos.

Do they all streak, and people just put up with this? I'd get a laserjet
except for the hideously expensive price of the ink cartridges, somewhere
around $300 on some of them. Maybe just have them printed commercially and
quit worrying about doing it myself? That might be the cheapest and most
effective way to get good prints.

My printer is an HP 952C, BTW, but doesn't seem to be close to unique in doing
this. The streaking is not really bad, but can be seen in homogeneous color
areas like sky areas.

Dave Head
27 answers Last reply
More about printer streaks photos
  1. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    You need to increase the ink output to the paper. The glossy coating
    takes much more ink. If you are using HP paper you can set the printer
    to automatic and it should adjust the ink acording to the paper in the
    printer. Non HP paper you have to adjust the ink load by choosing the
    complimentry paper from the printers preferences just before you print.
    HPs tend to revert to their default so if you are using a paper a lot
    change the paper chice in the main printer setup section of your
    operating system.

    Tom
  2. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    Dave Head wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Has anyone had this problem and cured it? I can think of a lot of things to
    > _try_, but would like to hear from someone who has had it and fixed it.
    >
    > A little more detail - the printer will streak prints I make on glossy photo
    > paper. If I make the same prints on regular copier paper, they are OK - no
    > visible streaking. I haven't tried "flat" finish photo paper, but don't want
    > that result anyway.
    >
    > In my experience, which is fairly limited in this area, ink jet printers do
    > this frequently. I decided not to buy one, a 3 in one printer/copier/fax,
    > because the guy demonstrating it in the store couldn't get it to stop streaking
    > the output on photos.
    >
    > Do they all streak, and people just put up with this? I'd get a laserjet
    > except for the hideously expensive price of the ink cartridges, somewhere
    > around $300 on some of them. Maybe just have them printed commercially and
    > quit worrying about doing it myself? That might be the cheapest and most
    > effective way to get good prints.
    >
    > My printer is an HP 952C, BTW, but doesn't seem to be close to unique in doing
    > this. The streaking is not really bad, but can be seen in homogeneous color
    > areas like sky areas.
    >
    > Dave Head

    I'm not familiar with HP printer commands but somewhere there should be
    a file for maintenance and head cleaning. I had an Epson and recently
    purchased a Canon i9900. You have to print at least every other day or
    the nozzles will get plugged, no matter what brand of printer you have.

    1)Be sure to use the right printer setting for the type of paper you're
    using.
    2)Make sure your printer heads are properly aligned.
    3)You may have to do a head cleaning over and over until the streaks are
    gone.

    If the streaking isn't improving with each cleaning, you may need to
    have it serviced.

    Hope this helps,
    Oscar
  3. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    From: "Dave Head" <rally2xs@att.net>

    | Hi,
    |
    | Has anyone had this problem and cured it? I can think of a lot of things to
    | _try_, but would like to hear from someone who has had it and fixed it.
    |
    | A little more detail - the printer will streak prints I make on glossy photo
    | paper. If I make the same prints on regular copier paper, they are OK - no
    | visible streaking. I haven't tried "flat" finish photo paper, but don't want
    | that result anyway.
    |
    | In my experience, which is fairly limited in this area, ink jet printers do
    | this frequently. I decided not to buy one, a 3 in one printer/copier/fax,
    | because the guy demonstrating it in the store couldn't get it to stop streaking
    | the output on photos.
    |
    | Do they all streak, and people just put up with this? I'd get a laserjet
    | except for the hideously expensive price of the ink cartridges, somewhere
    | around $300 on some of them. Maybe just have them printed commercially and
    | quit worrying about doing it myself? That might be the cheapest and most
    | effective way to get good prints.
    |
    | My printer is an HP 952C, BTW, but doesn't seem to be close to unique in doing
    | this. The streaking is not really bad, but can be seen in homogeneous color
    | areas like sky areas.
    |
    | Dave Head

    Printer needs maintenance/cleaning.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 12:02:44 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
    <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

    >From: "Dave Head" <rally2xs@att.net>
    >
    >| Hi,
    >|
    >| Has anyone had this problem and cured it? I can think of a lot of things to
    >| _try_, but would like to hear from someone who has had it and fixed it.
    >|
    >| A little more detail - the printer will streak prints I make on glossy photo
    >| paper. If I make the same prints on regular copier paper, they are OK - no
    >| visible streaking. I haven't tried "flat" finish photo paper, but don't want
    >| that result anyway.
    >|
    >| In my experience, which is fairly limited in this area, ink jet printers do
    >| this frequently. I decided not to buy one, a 3 in one printer/copier/fax,
    >| because the guy demonstrating it in the store couldn't get it to stop streaking
    >| the output on photos.
    >|
    >| Do they all streak, and people just put up with this? I'd get a laserjet
    >| except for the hideously expensive price of the ink cartridges, somewhere
    >| around $300 on some of them. Maybe just have them printed commercially and
    >| quit worrying about doing it myself? That might be the cheapest and most
    >| effective way to get good prints.
    >|
    >| My printer is an HP 952C, BTW, but doesn't seem to be close to unique in doing
    >| this. The streaking is not really bad, but can be seen in homogeneous color
    >| areas like sky areas.
    >|
    >| Dave Head
    >
    >Printer needs maintenance/cleaning.

    Thanks. I'll give the cleaning a try. I seem to have everything I need
    (swabs, distileld water) to try that except the time (gotta get to work...)
    Maybe tonight.

    Hopefully I won't have to send it someplace for maintenance...

    Dave Head
  5. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    Use the 'genuine' paper and inks, set printer to use the correct paper type,
    run printer cleaning routine... if it still makes streaks then it is broken
    and needs repairing - or replacing.

    Streaking suggests too much ink on the paper or a print head problem.

    Guy

    "Dave Head" <rally2xs@att.net> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Has anyone had this problem and cured it? I can think of a lot of things
    > _try_, but would like to hear from someone who has had it and fixed it.
    >
    > A little more detail - the printer will streak prints I make on glossy
    > photo
    > paper. If I make the same prints on regular copier paper, they are OK -
    > no
    > visible streaking. I haven't tried "flat" finish photo paper, but don't
    > want
    > that result anyway.
    >
    > In my experience, which is fairly limited in this area, ink jet printers
    > do
    > this frequently. I decided not to buy one, a 3 in one printer/copier/fax,
    > because the guy demonstrating it in the store couldn't get it to stop
    > streaking
    > the output on photos.
    >
    > Do they all streak, and people just put up with this? I'd get a laserjet
    > except for the hideously expensive price of the ink cartridges, somewhere
    > around $300 on some of them. Maybe just have them printed commercially
    > and
    > quit worrying about doing it myself? That might be the cheapest and most
    > effective way to get good prints.
    >
    > My printer is an HP 952C, BTW, but doesn't seem to be close to unique in
    > doing
    > this. The streaking is not really bad, but can be seen in homogeneous
    > color
    > areas like sky areas.
    >
    > Dave Head
  6. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 13:10:16 +0100, "Bigguy" <gtittley@remove.hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Use the 'genuine' paper and inks,

    Not sure what this means. Is FujiFilm printer paper "genuine"?

    >set printer to use the correct paper type,

    I'm not familar with any setting like this, but I just downloaded the manual
    (seem to have misplaced the paper one) so I'll look for such a setting in
    there.

    >run printer cleaning routine... if it still makes streaks then it is broken
    >and needs repairing - or replacing.

    Have considered replacing but don't know what would be better than an HP
    anyway.

    >Streaking suggests too much ink on the paper or a print head problem.

    Maybe dirty. Will try cleaning 1st, as its also the cheapest.

    Dave Head

    >Guy
    >
    >"Dave Head" <rally2xs@att.net> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Has anyone had this problem and cured it? I can think of a lot of things
    >> _try_, but would like to hear from someone who has had it and fixed it.
    >>
    >> A little more detail - the printer will streak prints I make on glossy
    >> photo
    >> paper. If I make the same prints on regular copier paper, they are OK -
    >> no
    >> visible streaking. I haven't tried "flat" finish photo paper, but don't
    >> want
    >> that result anyway.
    >>
    >> In my experience, which is fairly limited in this area, ink jet printers
    >> do
    >> this frequently. I decided not to buy one, a 3 in one printer/copier/fax,
    >> because the guy demonstrating it in the store couldn't get it to stop
    >> streaking
    >> the output on photos.
    >>
    >> Do they all streak, and people just put up with this? I'd get a laserjet
    >> except for the hideously expensive price of the ink cartridges, somewhere
    >> around $300 on some of them. Maybe just have them printed commercially
    >> and
    >> quit worrying about doing it myself? That might be the cheapest and most
    >> effective way to get good prints.
    >>
    >> My printer is an HP 952C, BTW, but doesn't seem to be close to unique in
    >> doing
    >> this. The streaking is not really bad, but can be seen in homogeneous
    >> color
    >> areas like sky areas.
    >>
    >> Dave Head

  7. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    From: "Dave Head" <rally2xs@att.net>

    | Thanks. I'll give the cleaning a try. I seem to have everything I need
    | (swabs, distileld water) to try that except the time (gotta get to work...)
    | Maybe tonight.
    |
    | Hopefully I won't have to send it someplace for maintenance...
    |
    | Dave Head

    Isopropyl Alcohol is better at removing ink.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
  8. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    Dave Head wrote:
    > Hi,

    <snipped>

    > Do they all streak, and people just put up with this? I'd get a
    > laserjet except for the hideously expensive price of the ink
    > cartridges, somewhere around $300 on some of them. Maybe just have
    > them printed commercially and quit worrying about doing it myself?
    > That might be the cheapest and most effective way to get good prints.

    <snipped>

    Personally speaking, I am getting tired of inkjet printer nozzle foibles,
    and am changing to a High-Touch 730PS Dye-sub printer which does up to 6"x8"
    in size for my photos. Choice of Matt or Gloss finish and water resistant to
    boot. Costing about £300 new here in UK, and paper/ink ribbon cost £18 for
    60 sheets of 6"x4" and £21 for 30 sheets of 6"x8". As we are nearly always
    dearer proportionally than USA prices, I've no doubt you will be even more
    pleasantly surprised.

    However, this is OT for this group, so suggest we leave it at that for now.
    ;-)

    Kind regards

    --
    Nigel_H
  9. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    Dave Head wrote:
    > On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 12:02:44 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
    > <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
    >

    >>From: "Dave Head" <rally2xs@att.net>

    > Thanks. I'll give the cleaning a try. I seem to have everything I need
    > (swabs, distileld water) to try that except the time (gotta get to work...)
    > Maybe tonight.
    >
    > Hopefully I won't have to send it someplace for maintenance...
    >
    > Dave Head

    Keep a particular eye out for dust/fibers stuck to the underside of the
    print carriage. They can stick to some drying ink on the carriage and
    proceed to paintbrush every swath of new ink. This drove me nuts for a
    couple weeks once with an old HP inkjet until I found it.

    Dave
  10. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 20:39:40 -0400, David Geesaman
    <dgeesamanIHateSpam@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Dave Head wrote:
    >> On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 12:02:44 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
    >> <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
    >>

    >>>From: "Dave Head" <rally2xs@att.net>
    >
    >> Thanks. I'll give the cleaning a try. I seem to have everything I need
    >> (swabs, distileld water) to try that except the time (gotta get to work...)
    >> Maybe tonight.
    >>
    >> Hopefully I won't have to send it someplace for maintenance...
    >>
    >> Dave Head
    >
    >Keep a particular eye out for dust/fibers stuck to the underside of the
    >print carriage. They can stick to some drying ink on the carriage and
    >proceed to paintbrush every swath of new ink. This drove me nuts for a
    >couple weeks once with an old HP inkjet until I found it.
    >
    >Dave

    Yes - I thought of that as soon as I saw the procedure for cleaning the
    undercarriage for the print cartridges in the manual I downloaded. They have
    never been cleaned, and I've had the thing for maybe 3 years... <G> I forgot
    you actually have to clean it! I figured that the changing of the ink
    cartridges periodically would take any foreign matter with it - forgot about
    the possibility of stuff accumulating on the cartridge carrier. Aw well,
    cleaning stuff is one of my least favorite activities, anyway...

    I'm getting ready to take a pile of pictures at ham radio field day this
    weekend, and so will new pictures to print. Will clean it and print some
    things and we'll see.

    Dave Head
  11. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 14:15:14 GMT, "Siggy" <iamsiggy@thisblueyonder.co.uk>
    wrote:

    >Dave Head wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    ><snipped>
    >>
    >> Do they all streak, and people just put up with this? I'd get a
    >> laserjet except for the hideously expensive price of the ink
    >> cartridges, somewhere around $300 on some of them. Maybe just have
    >> them printed commercially and quit worrying about doing it myself?
    >> That might be the cheapest and most effective way to get good prints.
    >>
    ><snipped>
    >
    >Personally speaking, I am getting tired of inkjet printer nozzle foibles,
    >and am changing to a High-Touch 730PS Dye-sub printer which does up to 6"x8"
    >in size for my photos. Choice of Matt or Gloss finish and water resistant to
    >boot. Costing about £300 new here in UK, and paper/ink ribbon cost £18 for
    >60 sheets of 6"x4" and £21 for 30 sheets of 6"x8". As we are nearly always
    >dearer proportionally than USA prices, I've no doubt you will be even more
    >pleasantly surprised.
    >
    >However, this is OT for this group, so suggest we leave it at that for now.
    >;-)
    >
    >Kind regards

    Thanks for the tip. That looks interesting. If things are still
    unsatisfactory after I clean the HP, I might be buying yet another printer, and
    that might just be a solution!

    Dave Head
  12. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    In article <uiomb11ks9fpnhgr86fjjjdn0ah4efm036@4ax.com>,
    Dave Head <Rally2xs@att.net> wrote:
    >On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 14:15:14 GMT, "Siggy" <iamsiggy@thisblueyonder.co.uk>
    >wrote:

    [ ... ]

    >>Personally speaking, I am getting tired of inkjet printer nozzle foibles,
    >>and am changing to a High-Touch 730PS Dye-sub printer which does up to 6"x8"
    >>in size for my photos. Choice of Matt or Gloss finish and water resistant to
    >>boot. Costing about £300 new here in UK, and paper/ink ribbon cost £18 for
    >>60 sheets of 6"x4" and £21 for 30 sheets of 6"x8". As we are nearly always
    >>dearer proportionally than USA prices, I've no doubt you will be even more
    >>pleasantly surprised.

    [ ... ]

    >Thanks for the tip. That looks interesting. If things are still
    >unsatisfactory after I clean the HP, I might be buying yet another printer, and
    >that might just be a solution!

    I know that I printed a particular photo at 8x10 size from my
    D70 (closeup of the cat) on my Epson ink spitter, and compared that to
    the same image (carried in on a CF card to the local photo store)
    printed to the same size on a dye-sub printer which they were promoting
    at the time.

    The colors were perhaps a bit more accurate. (I had to go back
    to the objects in the original scene to be sure.)

    But -- the resolution was terrible compared to the Epson. Areas
    where I could count individual hairs on the cat in one photo were just
    colored blurs in the other.

    So -- for my purposes, the Epson is more satisfactory.

    The only problem is that both printers only have a USB port
    (plus a slot for sticking CF cards into), and my serious computers don't
    use USB, so the CF card is the only way to feed it an image.

    Enjoy,
    DoN.

  13. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    "DoN. Nichols" <dnichols@d-and-d.com> wrote in message
    > In article <uiomb11ks9fpnhgr86fjjjdn0ah4efm036@4ax.com>,
    > Dave Head <Rally2xs@att.net> wrote:
    > >On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 14:15:14 GMT, "Siggy" <iamsiggy@thisblueyonder.co.uk>
    > >wrote:
    > >

    > [ ... ]
    >
    > >>Personally speaking, I am getting tired of inkjet printer nozzle
    foibles,
    > >>and am changing to a High-Touch 730PS Dye-sub printer which does up to
    6"x8"
    > >>in size for my photos. Choice of Matt or Gloss finish and water
    resistant to
    > >>boot. Costing about £300 new here in UK, and paper/ink ribbon cost £18
    for
    > >>60 sheets of 6"x4" and £21 for 30 sheets of 6"x8". As we are nearly
    always
    > >>dearer proportionally than USA prices, I've no doubt you will be even
    more
    > >>pleasantly surprised.
    >
    > [ ... ]
    >
    > >Thanks for the tip. That looks interesting. If things are still
    > >unsatisfactory after I clean the HP, I might be buying yet another
    printer, and
    > >that might just be a solution!
    >
    > I know that I printed a particular photo at 8x10 size from my
    > D70 (closeup of the cat) on my Epson ink spitter, and compared that to
    > the same image (carried in on a CF card to the local photo store)
    > printed to the same size on a dye-sub printer which they were promoting
    > at the time.
    >
    > The colors were perhaps a bit more accurate. (I had to go back
    > to the objects in the original scene to be sure.)
    >
    > But -- the resolution was terrible compared to the Epson. Areas
    > where I could count individual hairs on the cat in one photo were just
    > colored blurs in the other.
    >
    > So -- for my purposes, the Epson is more satisfactory.
    >
    > The only problem is that both printers only have a USB port
    > (plus a slot for sticking CF cards into), and my serious computers don't
    > use USB, so the CF card is the only way to feed it an image.

    Isn't it time to get a newer "serious computer", I assume they don't have
    Firewire, either? Sun Blade 2500, maybe?

    Greg
  14. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    In article <11bn3fgo7e4pn72@corp.supernews.com>,
    G.T. <getnews1@dslextreme.com> wrote:

    >"DoN. Nichols" <dnichols@d-and-d.com> wrote in message

    [ ... ]

    >> The only problem is that both printers only have a USB port
    >> (plus a slot for sticking CF cards into), and my serious computers don't
    >> use USB, so the CF card is the only way to feed it an image.
    >>

    >Isn't it time to get a newer "serious computer", I assume they don't have
    >Firewire, either? Sun Blade 2500, maybe?

    I've got a Sun Blade 100 (which has USB), but it wound up being
    my wife's machine in a shuffle of machines recently, so I don't have it
    to experiment with talking to the Epsom printer.

    And the Sun Blade 2500 is still a bit out of reach. I'm
    retired, on a fixed income, and I'm getting Sun computers for less than
    $200.00 each, so my choices are perforce somewhat older.

    Enjoy,
    DoN.
  15. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    From: "DoN. Nichols" <dnichols@d-and-d.com>

    | I've got a Sun Blade 100 (which has USB), but it wound up being
    | my wife's machine in a shuffle of machines recently, so I don't have it
    | to experiment with talking to the Epsom printer.
    |
    | And the Sun Blade 2500 is still a bit out of reach. I'm
    | retired, on a fixed income, and I'm getting Sun computers for less than
    | $200.00 each, so my choices are perforce somewhat older.
    |
    | Enjoy,
    | DoN.
    | --
    | Email: <dnichols@d-and-d.com> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
    | (too) near Washington D.C. | http://www.d-and-d.com/dnichols/DoN.html
    | --- Black Holes are where God is dividing by zero ---

    At ~$10.00 US per USB v2.0 port, get a USB v2.0 PCI card.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
  16. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    > From: "DoN. Nichols" <dnichols@d-and-d.com>
    >

    > | I've got a Sun Blade 100 (which has USB), but it wound up being
    > | my wife's machine in a shuffle of machines recently, so I don't have it
    > | to experiment with talking to the Epsom printer.
    > |
    > | And the Sun Blade 2500 is still a bit out of reach. I'm
    > | retired, on a fixed income, and I'm getting Sun computers for less than
    > | $200.00 each, so my choices are perforce somewhat older.
    > |
    > | Enjoy,
    > | DoN.
    > | --
    > | Email: <dnichols@d-and-d.com> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
    > | (too) near Washington D.C. | http://www.d-and-d.com/dnichols/DoN.html
    > | --- Black Holes are where God is dividing by zero ---
    >
    > At ~$10.00 US per USB v2.0 port, get a USB v2.0 PCI card.

    Uhhh, what if he doesn't have anything but SBus slots?

    Greg
  17. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    In article <11boi4la3lo4s2b@corp.supernews.com>,
    G.T. <getnews1@dslextreme.com> wrote:

    >"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message
    >> From: "DoN. Nichols" <dnichols@d-and-d.com>
    >>

    >> | I've got a Sun Blade 100 (which has USB), but it wound up being
    >> | my wife's machine in a shuffle of machines recently, so I don't have it
    >> | to experiment with talking to the Epsom printer.
    >> |
    >> | And the Sun Blade 2500 is still a bit out of reach. I'm
    >> | retired, on a fixed income, and I'm getting Sun computers for less than
    >> | $200.00 each, so my choices are perforce somewhat older.

    [ ... ]

    >> At ~$10.00 US per USB v2.0 port, get a USB v2.0 PCI card.

    >Uhhh, what if he doesn't have anything but SBus slots?

    Exactly the situation. And I have been *watching* for SBus
    cards capable of talking USB -- and not seen any. Remember -- not all
    the world is PC-Compatible.

    Enjoy,
    DoN.
  18. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    From: "G.T." <getnews1@dslextreme.com>

    | Uhhh, what if he doesn't have anything but SBus slots?
    |
    | Greg

    That'sd another story !

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
  19. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    From: "DoN. Nichols" <dnichols@d-and-d.com>

    | In article <11boi4la3lo4s2b@corp.supernews.com>,
    | G.T. <getnews1@dslextreme.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message
    >>> From: "DoN. Nichols" <dnichols@d-and-d.com>

    | [ ... ]
    |
    >>> At ~$10.00 US per USB v2.0 port, get a USB v2.0 PCI card.
    |
    >> Uhhh, what if he doesn't have anything but SBus slots?
    |
    | Exactly the situation. And I have been *watching* for SBus
    | cards capable of talking USB -- and not seen any. Remember -- not all
    | the world is PC-Compatible.
    |
    | Enjoy,
    | DoN.
    | --
    | Email: <dnichols@d-and-d.com> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
    | (too) near Washington D.C. | http://www.d-and-d.com/dnichols/DoN.html
    | --- Black Holes are where God is dividing by zero ---

    PCI is a well excepted 32bit/64bit bus supported by many vendors including SUN. I'm sorry
    you don't have a system that provides PCI. But that the problems one runs into withy
    proprietary systems and/or buses.

    Sorry for the confusion.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
  20. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    I bought a HP ColorLaserjet 3500L and it prints really nice images with the
    newfangled toner they are using. I was amazed that the prints at 81/2X11
    looked almost as good as any inkjet print off my 7550. And it's much faster
    with the inline cartridge system instead of bang and clunk rotating methods.
    Consider that model too.

    Steve m...

    "Siggy" <iamsiggy@thisblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Dave Head wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    > <snipped>
    >>
    >> Do they all streak, and people just put up with this? I'd get a
    >> laserjet except for the hideously expensive price of the ink
    >> cartridges, somewhere around $300 on some of them. Maybe just have
    >> them printed commercially and quit worrying about doing it myself?
    >> That might be the cheapest and most effective way to get good prints.
    >>
    > <snipped>
    >
    > Personally speaking, I am getting tired of inkjet printer nozzle foibles,
    > and am changing to a High-Touch 730PS Dye-sub printer which does up to
    > 6"x8" in size for my photos. Choice of Matt or Gloss finish and water
    > resistant to boot. Costing about £300 new here in UK, and paper/ink ribbon
    > cost £18 for 60 sheets of 6"x4" and £21 for 30 sheets of 6"x8". As we are
    > nearly always dearer proportionally than USA prices, I've no doubt you
    > will be even more pleasantly surprised.
    >
    > However, this is OT for this group, so suggest we leave it at that for
    > now. ;-)
    >
    > Kind regards
    >
    > --
    > Nigel_H

  21. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    Hi Steve,

    Thanks for the tip. I am thinking laserjet too. Its just that they mostly are
    extremely expensive to buy and operate. I see that a 3500L takes 4 ink
    cartridges that each run $133. $533 to re-ink it is a major pucker factor.
    Supposedly they last 4000 sheets, so that's 8 cents a picture, not too bad.
    But I'd have a regular black and white printer to do non-photos, and use it a
    lot, and hope these ink cartridges will last for several years while I use
    other printers to do all but my very finest prints. But... its a thought.

    Thanks again,

    Dave Head

    On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 22:09:25 GMT, "Steve m..." <Stevem5215@PLEASEno_spam_.com>
    wrote:

    >I bought a HP ColorLaserjet 3500L and it prints really nice images with the
    >newfangled toner they are using. I was amazed that the prints at 81/2X11
    >looked almost as good as any inkjet print off my 7550. And it's much faster
    >with the inline cartridge system instead of bang and clunk rotating methods.
    >Consider that model too.
    >
    >Steve m...
    >
    >"Siggy" <iamsiggy@thisblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> Dave Head wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >> <snipped>
    >>>
    >>> Do they all streak, and people just put up with this? I'd get a
    >>> laserjet except for the hideously expensive price of the ink
    >>> cartridges, somewhere around $300 on some of them. Maybe just have
    >>> them printed commercially and quit worrying about doing it myself?
    >>> That might be the cheapest and most effective way to get good prints.
    >>>
    >> <snipped>
    >>
    >> Personally speaking, I am getting tired of inkjet printer nozzle foibles,
    >> and am changing to a High-Touch 730PS Dye-sub printer which does up to
    >> 6"x8" in size for my photos. Choice of Matt or Gloss finish and water
    >> resistant to boot. Costing about £300 new here in UK, and paper/ink ribbon
    >> cost £18 for 60 sheets of 6"x4" and £21 for 30 sheets of 6"x8". As we are
    >> nearly always dearer proportionally than USA prices, I've no doubt you
    >> will be even more pleasantly surprised.
    >>
    >> However, this is OT for this group, so suggest we leave it at that for
    >> now. ;-)
    >>
    >> Kind regards
    >>
    >> --
    >> Nigel_H

  22. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    From: "Dave Head" <rally2xs@att.net>

    | Hi Steve,
    |
    | Thanks for the tip. I am thinking laserjet too. Its just that they mostly are
    | extremely expensive to buy and operate. I see that a 3500L takes 4 ink
    | cartridges that each run $133. $533 to re-ink it is a major pucker factor.
    | Supposedly they last 4000 sheets, so that's 8 cents a picture, not too bad.
    | But I'd have a regular black and white printer to do non-photos, and use it a
    | lot, and hope these ink cartridges will last for several years while I use
    | other printers to do all but my very finest prints. But... its a thought.
    |
    | Thanks again,
    |
    | Dave Head
    | | On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 22:09:25 GMT, "Steve m..." <Stevem5215@PLEASEno_spam_.com>

    Laser Printers don't use ink. They use dry toner ;-)

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
  23. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 13:56:12 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
    <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

    >From: "Dave Head" <rally2xs@att.net>
    >
    >| Hi Steve,
    >|
    >| Thanks for the tip. I am thinking laserjet too. Its just that they mostly are
    >| extremely expensive to buy and operate. I see that a 3500L takes 4 ink
    >| cartridges that each run $133. $533 to re-ink it is a major pucker factor.
    >| Supposedly they last 4000 sheets, so that's 8 cents a picture, not too bad.
    >| But I'd have a regular black and white printer to do non-photos, and use it a
    >| lot, and hope these ink cartridges will last for several years while I use
    >| other printers to do all but my very finest prints. But... its a thought.
    >|
    >| Thanks again,
    >|
    >| Dave Head
    >| | On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 22:09:25 GMT, "Steve m..." <Stevem5215@PLEASEno_spam_.com>
    >
    >Laser Printers don't use ink. They use dry toner ;-)

    Seriously expensive dry toner...
  24. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    Dave Head <rally2xs@att.net> wrote:

    >"Bigguy" <gtittley@remove.hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>Use the 'genuine' paper and inks,

    >Not sure what this means. Is FujiFilm printer paper "genuine"?

    Some printers work best with their own brand of paper (e.g. "HP
    photo paper" if such a thing exists). Don't know if that applies
    to HP.

    >>set printer to use the correct paper type,
    >
    >I'm not familar with any setting like this, but I just downloaded the manual
    >(seem to have misplaced the paper one) so I'll look for such a setting in
    >there.

    In MS Windows, it's often under advanced settings in the print
    setup options, when you're about to print.

    >Maybe dirty. Will try cleaning 1st, as its also the cheapest.

    I don't know how easy it is to clean HP print heads, but Epson
    isn't all that "customer friendly". I figured out how to do it,
    but only after managing to separate a flex cable from the PCB
    when I took off the wrong bit. Oh well, the printer was a junker
    anyway, but now I know..

    --
    Ken Tough
  25. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    From: "Dave Head" <rally2xs@att.net>

    | Seriously expensive dry toner...

    I have administrated corporate LANs with *many* HP inkjets and Lasers. The toner for a HP
    8150 is ~$250.00 US.

    One must realize that the cost of printing is NOT in the initial cost of the printer but in
    its maintenance.

    Colour lasers have been *very* expensive for a long time and the cost has dropped
    significantly in the past 6 years.

    One must not just look at its initial cost but its Total Cost of Ownership (TCO).

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
  26. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    David H. Lipman <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
    >From: "Dave Head" <rally2xs@att.net>
    >|
    >| Seriously expensive dry toner...
    >
    >I have administrated corporate LANs with *many* HP inkjets and Lasers. The
    >toner for a HP
    >8150 is ~$250.00 US.

    >One must realize that the cost of printing is NOT in the initial cost
    >of the printer but in its maintenance.

    Yeah, and inkjet ink isn't particularly cheap either, for not that
    many full page prints.

    >Colour lasers have been *very* expensive for a long time and the cost has
    >dropped
    >significantly in the past 6 years.
    >
    >One must not just look at its initial cost but its Total Cost of Ownership
    >(TCO).

    How would you say a laser compares to inkjet in those terms, per A4
    (8x11) printed photo page?

    --
    Ken Tough
  27. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    From: "Ken Tough" <ken@objectech.co.uk>

    | How would you say a laser compares to inkjet in those terms, per A4
    | (8x11) printed photo page?
    |
    | --
    | Ken Tough

    I don't perform a Cost Benefit Analysis (CBA) on printing. I just maintain, administer and
    manage them.

    Sorry :-(

    --
    Dave