printer driver rollback

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

I have an old printer. HP Laserjet 1100. I have Windows XP. Windows XP
was using a Microsoft driver for this printer. It was working fine.
Decided to try and install the HP driver for this printer instead. The HP
driver for this printer is relatively new, there was no XP driver for this
printer when I first got XP. Anyway, HP driver work bad. I want to go back
to using the Microsoft driver. But if I delete the printer from the list
and try to reinstall it, XP now tries to install the HP driver. Because
when I installed the HP driver, I told XP to replace the old (Microsoft)
driver with the HP driver. Does anyone know how to fix this situation?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Option 1 is when the list of models appears when installing, click have disk
and install from the system cd.

Option 2 Try this if you dare...
Delete the printer from the printers folder.
In the printers folder go to file->server properties; in the drivers tab,
remove the hp driver.

Go to the folder
...windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86
There should be a sub-folder .w32x86\3. DO NOT MESS WITH THIS FOLDER. If you
have a w32x86\2, leave it alone as well.
When the driver installs, it installs a backup of the driver files in a
sub-folder of .\w32x86.
Look in the other folders to see if there is a .gpd file with hp in the
name. If there is, you can delete this folder. If you have multiple drivers
installed, this could be tricky. You will have to determine which sub-folder
contains the HP driver you are concerned about.
Once you have removed the folder, you should be able to install the system
driver again.

..
"Mister Scary" <danielnewhouse@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>I have an old printer. HP Laserjet 1100. I have Windows XP. Windows XP
>was using a Microsoft driver for this printer. It was working fine.
>Decided to try and install the HP driver for this printer instead. The HP
>driver for this printer is relatively new, there was no XP driver for this
>printer when I first got XP. Anyway, HP driver work bad. I want to go
>back to using the Microsoft driver. But if I delete the printer from the
>list and try to reinstall it, XP now tries to install the HP driver.
>Because when I installed the HP driver, I told XP to replace the old
>(Microsoft) driver with the HP driver. Does anyone know how to fix this
>situation?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 22:52:37 -0500, "Mister Scary"
<danielnewhouse@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>I have an old printer. HP Laserjet 1100. I have Windows XP. Windows XP
>was using a Microsoft driver for this printer. It was working fine.
>Decided to try and install the HP driver for this printer instead. The HP
>driver for this printer is relatively new, there was no XP driver for this
>printer when I first got XP. Anyway, HP driver work bad. I want to go back
>to using the Microsoft driver. But if I delete the printer from the list
>and try to reinstall it, XP now tries to install the HP driver. Because
>when I installed the HP driver, I told XP to replace the old (Microsoft)
>driver with the HP driver. Does anyone know how to fix this situation?

One simple way would be to roll back the whole installation,
using System Restore, to a point in time before you installed
the HP driver.

I'm sure there are other ways. For example, you could find the
..INF file and remove it, along with the parallel .PNF file.

By the way, I have many years ago stopped recommending HP
equipment solely because of poor software, particularly drivers.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.