Sign in with
Your question

Several strange issues with PC

Last response: in Systems
January 2, 2013 11:06:13 AM

Hello, I've been having different kinds of computer issues for quite sometime.

The computer is homebuilt, not by me but a guy that works with computers. The PC about 4 years old now. This is my rig:

Windows 7 64bit
Motherboard: Asus P5QL-Pro, BIOS version 08.0014, never updated.
CPU: Intel core 2 Duo E8500 3,16GHz
Graphics: Ati radeon HD 4850 512MB, running latest drivers.
4 sticks of kingston hyperx DDR2 RAM, total 8GB, 1066Mhz
HDD: hitatchi 500GB

And now to the problems...
At first everything worked fine (I had win XP then), after a while maybe moths or a year after, I started getting electric shocks from my front USB ports sometimes, it could be when I had my phone connected, recharging my camera etc. I stopped using the front ports except the ports for headphones and microphone. Everything was fine as long as I didn't use the USB ports. In the beginning I had different RAMs from now, so after a while I upgraded to the hyperx to increase performance and it was all fine. I had to set the frequency in bios from 800 to 1066. Worked perfectly.

Then it was time to upgrade to win 7.
Same USB issues still ofc, I kind of forgot about the RAM frequency until a couple of months ago since I thought that my pc was slower playing games. I saw that they were again running at 800mhz so I tried changing to 1066 as they should do. After doing this in BIOS windows won't start, but at 800mhz it starts with no issues. I was thinking that maybe a bios update would fix this but I've not tried. Although, I did try to update the chipset.
After the chipset update my computer suddenly became very slow at start, sometimes getting stuck at start but it sort of got a little better when getting all power out of the computer and then restarting. I've changed the chipset back to original now and will see if it works better again.

Then for Christmas, I got new headphones and I wanted to try them in my computer. I plugged them in the front and then my screen turned black and my graphicscard's light turned red. I also have sometimes that if I have someting connected to the front USB when trying to start up my pc, it won't boot.

What is happening here with my pc? Is something about to break or is it maybe just driver issues? I've never really felt that my system has been reliable and stable since the beginning so I've been doing regular backups of everything to an external HDD, also have had problems with blue screens during games before, not much now anymore though.

Any ideas..?

More about : strange issues

January 2, 2013 11:15:03 AM

ABC123ABC said:
Hello, I've been having different kinds of computer issues for quite sometime.

The computer is homebuilt, not by me but a guy that works with computers. The PC about 4 years old now. This is my rig:

Windows 7 64bit
Motherboard: Asus P5QL-Pro, BIOS version 08.0014, never updated.
CPU: Intel core 2 Duo E8500 3,16GHz
Graphics: Ati radeon HD 4850 512MB, running latest drivers.
4 sticks of kingston hyperx DDR2 RAM, total 8GB, 1066Mhz
HDD: hitatchi 500GB

And now to the problems...
At first everything worked fine (I had win XP then), after a while maybe moths or a year after, I started getting electric shocks from my front USB ports sometimes, it could be when I had my phone connected, recharging my camera etc. I stopped using the front ports except the ports for headphones and microphone. Everything was fine as long as I didn't use the USB ports. In the beginning I had different RAMs from now, so after a while I upgraded to the hyperx to increase performance and it was all fine. I had to set the frequency in bios from 800 to 1066. Worked perfectly.

Then it was time to upgrade to win 7.
Same USB issues still ofc, I kind of forgot about the RAM frequency until a couple of months ago since I thought that my pc was slower playing games. I saw that they were again running at 800mhz so I tried changing to 1066 as they should do. After doing this in BIOS windows won't start, but at 800mhz it starts with no issues. I was thinking that maybe a bios update would fix this but I've not tried. Although, I did try to update the chipset.
After the chipset update my computer suddenly became very slow at start, sometimes getting stuck at start but it sort of got a little better when getting all power out of the computer and then restarting. I've changed the chipset back to original now and will see if it works better again.

Then for Christmas, I got new headphones and I wanted to try them in my computer. I plugged them in the front and then my screen turned black and my graphicscard's light turned red. I also have sometimes that if I have someting connected to the front USB when trying to start up my pc, it won't boot.

What is happening here with my pc? Is something about to break or is it maybe just driver issues? I've never really felt that my system has been reliable and stable since the beginning so I've been doing regular backups of everything to an external HDD, also have had problems with blue screens during games before, not much now anymore though.

Any ideas..?

Aslo, when I updated the chipset and my pc started booting so slowly, sometimes when I listen to music, the sound sort of freezes/lags sometimes, but not the rest of the pc...
January 2, 2013 12:38:13 PM

The sound freezing and lagging could just be the sound card built into the mobo being old and wearing out (I don't know if that's common, just an idea). The thing about where the computer won't boot with something plugged into the front usb is something I might have an idea about. Try going into the bios and checking your boot order. If the usb is placed above your hard disk (which may be the case if the guy installed windows from usb), then your computer could be trying to "boot" from your headphones when you plug them in the front panel. Not sure why it wouldn't move down the list if it failed to boot there, but that could be it.
January 2, 2013 1:19:41 PM

Pizzaa said:
The sound freezing and lagging could just be the sound card built into the mobo being old and wearing out (I don't know if that's common, just an idea). The thing about where the computer won't boot with something plugged into the front usb is something I might have an idea about. Try going into the bios and checking your boot order. If the usb is placed above your hard disk (which may be the case if the guy installed windows from usb), then your computer could be trying to "boot" from your headphones when you plug them in the front panel. Not sure why it wouldn't move down the list if it failed to boot there, but that could be it.

I'm sorry to say, the boot priority is cd/dvd and then HDD, so I don't think that it tries to boot from USB ports.
When this happens when I have someting plugged in, the screen is just black.
!