Sign in with
Your question

New high end build-Is it all compatible?

Last response: in Systems
January 2, 2013 11:59:24 AM

Ordering a new build, is this all compatible?

i7-3770k (I plan on overclocking to 4.5Ghz or more)
Gigabyte SKT-1155 Z77X-UD3H Wifi Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C10 1600MHz Dual Channel kit
Asus HD 7970 Matrix Platinum 3072MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
120GB OCZ Vertex 3 2.5" Solid State Drive
Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB SATA III 6 Gbps 64MB 3.5 inch Hard Drive
Aerocool Strike-X 1100W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply

Corsair Hydro H80i High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler, in a cooler master Storm scout 2 case (i'm removing one of the bays for more space for the card, and more air room). I also presume the CPU cooler will be able to handle an overclock of 4.5Ghz on the CPU. Thanks. :) 
January 2, 2013 12:32:06 PM

Looks fine, but why 1100w? Strange. You only need 550w.

Don't buy OCZ 3, get 4. Vertex 3 had lots of issues.

Don't get a mobo with Wi-Fi. They tend to be weak. Get a separate Wi-Fi.
January 2, 2013 12:38:28 PM

^ +1.

Or maybe settle for a 620W psu like the Seasonic S12II 620 which is around $80 at newegg.

OR, the best psu that Jonnyguru ever tested, Seasonic SS-660XP 80+ Platinum ($149)

either way 550W-600W will more than enough.
Related resources
January 2, 2013 12:53:02 PM

envy14tpe said:
Looks fine, but why 1100w? Strange. You only need 550w.

Don't buy OCZ 3, get 4. Vertex 3 had lots of issues.

Don't get a mobo with Wi-Fi. They tend to be weak. Get a separate Wi-Fi.

Yeah I only went 1100w becuase I potentially may be going Crossfire in the future.
January 2, 2013 12:56:35 PM

Then a corsair HX750 or AX760 is more than enough already. You really have no need for a 1000W power supply
January 2, 2013 1:06:03 PM

I'll tell you this, I don't recommend premium motherboard unless you have a very high budget and you can justify it yourself. Plus, that's a micro-ATX motherboard so expansion will be even more limited. You don't have to pay too much to get 4.5GHz+, MSI Z77A-GD55 at less than $150 can also achieve that but overclocking varies for every different parts.
January 2, 2013 1:09:37 PM

EzioAs said:
I'll tell you this, I don't recommend premium motherboard unless you have a very high budget and you can justify it yourself. Plus, that's a micro-ATX motherboard so expansion will be even more limited. You don't have to pay too much to get 4.5GHz+, MSI Z77A-GD55 at less than $150 can also achieve that but overclocking varies for every different parts.

My bad, I linked the wrong motherboard.

http://www.cclonline.com/product/78897/90-MIBI30-G0EAY0...

January 2, 2013 1:23:52 PM

Same thing. It's not exactly a bad board, but it doesn't really hold true value. You probably don't need it, so you're better off buying cheaper a motherboard. The extra bucks you saved could go to some other part like maybe a bigger SSD or something.
January 2, 2013 1:27:09 PM

If you're willing to spend some money on mobo and high end gpu then don't go cheap on ssd or hdd. Buy a Samsung 830 or Vertex 4. The blue WD is only $10-15 more and much faster than green. At a high budget I'd go black.

The Sabertooth is a beast.
January 2, 2013 2:13:14 PM

JMer806 said:
If you get the Asus P8Z77-V, it comes with onboard Wifi so you don't need another card. Price is about $190.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I think i'm going with the Sabertooth Z77, I prefer it. I'll just get a wifi card, it will still be cheaper.
January 2, 2013 2:38:23 PM

So the final specs are;

i7-3770k (with the H80i Liquid cooler)
Gigabyte SKT-1155 Z77X-UD3H Wifi Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C10 1600MHz Dual Channel kit
Asus HD 7970 Matrix Platinum 3072MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
Asus SABERTOOTH Z77 Motherboard (adding a Asus Dual-Band Wireless-N600 PCI-E Adapter)
OCZ 128GB Vertex 4 Solid State Drive
1TB Western Digital Caviar Black 3.5"
AeroCool Strike-X 1100W Modular 80+ Gold PSU (I am getting it, overkill albiet)

In a CM storm Scout 2. Thanks for the tips and advice everyone, your input is very much appreciated! :D 

January 2, 2013 4:04:01 PM

AeroCool has a bad reputation for cheapness. If you want to spend some money on an overkill and good PSU, get something like a Corsair AX 850, which is a very good PSU and still wayyy more than you'll ever need. Not to mention it's fully modular, while your AeroCool is only partially modular.

Edit: Also, don't get that closed-loop cooler. Save your money and get a Noctua D14 or similar... closed-loop coolers do not cool any better than a good air cooler and they are much more expensive. Here's a link of a recent article on just that subject: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/h100i-elc240-seidon...
January 2, 2013 4:17:56 PM

Gonna vote that you overspent on the mobo, cooler, and PSU but it's a nice system. Congrats!

(Twice the price on a cooler for between 0% and 5% clockspeed, depending on your luck with a CPU. What does the snaggletooth do that a $140 board doesn't? Not needling you, just food for thought)
January 2, 2013 5:06:05 PM

J_E_D_70 said:
Gonna vote that you overspent on the mobo, cooler, and PSU but it's a nice system. Congrats!

(Twice the price on a cooler for between 0% and 5% clockspeed, depending on your luck with a CPU. What does the snaggletooth do that a $140 board doesn't? Not needling you, just food for thought)

Yeah, the more ideas bouncing off the wall the better. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look at some other PSU's. I just really like the motherboard, the design and everything. unfortunately i've had a moment like my girlfriend has on a frequent basis. I must have the motherboard, whether I need it or not! :D 

How many Watts should I be looking at? Who's a good reliable company to go for?

Thanks.
January 2, 2013 5:11:58 PM

Corsair, Seasonic and Antec have the best psu. XFX is also ok.

If you want to spend high on the psu, get the Seasonic SS-660XP. Beyond excellent voltage stability, extremely efficient, excellent ripple suppression. It's an 80+ platinum unit so it's a little expensive at $149
January 2, 2013 5:23:36 PM

Let's be clear, if you are buying the Sabertooth you are buying it for the looks and the warranty (e.g. TUF components). If you want a bang for the buck board the Sabertooth isn't it. You don't like the Thermal Armor definitely get something else...Nowadays, I think every PC should include an SSD period. They’re waaaaaaaaay faster and they draw less energy, but unfortunately they do cost a significant amount more than a traditional hard drive.

Those who have some extra budget laying around, I’d definitely suggest going with a 128GB Samsung 840 Pro or 256GB Samsung 840 Pro in combination with a 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black . This will allow for plenty of hard drive space for storage while OS and application files may be placed on the SSD for that extra top notch performance.

Recommended PSU List

XFX
XFX Core Edition
XFX Pro Series
Seasonic
Seasonic X-Series
Corsair

Corsair TX Series
Corsair HX Series
Corsair AX Series

January 2, 2013 5:27:14 PM

bigcyco1 said:
Let's be clear, if you are buying the Sabertooth you are buying it for the looks and the warranty (e.g. TUF components). If you want a bang for the buck board the Sabertooth isn't it. You don't like the Thermal Armor definitely get something else...

I like the thermal armour.
January 2, 2013 6:35:03 PM

It's your money :)  If you like the look then go for it. I can't fathom wanting to look inside my case for any purpose except cleaning it or adding new gear, but that's personal preference.

I wouldn't put aftermarket rims or neon lights on my truck either. Maybe I'm just boring. That's a strong possibility.
January 2, 2013 6:44:14 PM

J_E_D_70 said:
It's your money :)  If you like the look then go for it. I can't fathom wanting to look inside my case for any purpose except cleaning it or adding new gear, but that's personal preference.

I wouldn't put aftermarket rims or neon lights on my truck either. Maybe I'm just boring. That's a strong possibility.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  it's without a doubt a personal preference thing the sabertooth performance wise is on par with cheaper mobos such as GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H and ASUS P8Z77-V PRO . ;) 
!