Kenwood 72X CD-ROM

G

I have read a lot of older reviews regarding the Kenwood 52X, 72X CD-ROM. I could not find the product available on any internet hardware site. The product appears to be discontinued. Instead I bought a Plextor SCSI CD-ROM drive.
What happened to the Kenwood products, they seem to be a good product?

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
i think that they still sell it at the frys near me...the woodland hills one...
i think i saw it there...

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I think that they were discontinued quite a while ago.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Yep. Kenwood shut down their drives. When they get dusty, the lasers can't cut through it and start popping crc errors. I cracked mine open, and nailed it with the vaccuum cleaner and air compressor.

Works just like new, and I've been stressing it as much as I possibly can. There was a layer of dust on/around the tracking mech.

Other than that, they kick a$$ like a dvdrom reader kicks dvd's. 12meg/second+ isn't bad.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
did you try a cdrom lens cleaner?
might have been easier..
and that really sucks that kenwood dropped their cdrom drives..
they were supposed to really kick!
and apparently, according to you, they do!
they are quieter, and FAST!

-DAvid

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I've heard of lens cleaners, but I was sweating it leaving too much residue for the laser to cut through. Isopropyl leaves a massive residue.

They are super quiet. Instead of having to spin at 12,000rpm+, they can crank at around 2000rpm. And you still get the speed to boot.

I wish Afrey would hurry up with their 25/100x...

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
the lens cleaner i have has no liquid involved...
it has tiny brushes that brush off the dirt...
fixed my portable cd player from skipping, and fixed my friends cdrom...which wouldnt read cd's anymore.

-DAvid