Sign in with
Your question
Closed

GeForce 8800 GTS Dead/Bricked?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 18, 2012 5:07:07 AM

continuing with problems i had in this post:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/378004-33-unusual-8800-behaviour#t2845398

I tried the gpu in my main rig (more than enough power) It gets to the windows starting logo/animation and when it appears to get to the end of it, it freezes and nothing happens..

THEN i booted into safe mode, it worked but not very well (distorted colours on on the screen)

THEN i tried it powering from my main rigs psu (while my main rig ran on integrated) with the card on my current build and i got exactly the same thing i had in the previous post...

So its not power..

Im guessing its the card.. OR its windows 8.. any takers?

im confused asto what has happened because the card works.. (current build has no integrated graphics so its working.. just really badly)
a b U Graphics card
November 18, 2012 5:12:04 AM

The first thing is I had Win 8 Pro for about an hour, I didnt like it. Drivers were unstable and nothing really seemed to work right. I would first try a clean install of the nvidia drivers. Distorted colors in safe mode I believe are common but I'm not entirely sure as I've never had to boot into safe mode before.
Score
a c 191 U Graphics card
November 18, 2012 5:19:29 AM

It also could be your power supply.
Score
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 18, 2012 5:22:52 AM

Deemo13 said:
It also could be your power supply.

He stated in a previous post he made about this problem that he tried it on his main rig which was running a 580 and its still doing the same thing.
Score
November 18, 2012 5:40:39 AM

abCasPeRR said:
The first thing is I had Win 8 Pro for about an hour, I didnt like it. Drivers were unstable and nothing really seemed to work right. I would first try a clean install of the nvidia drivers. Distorted colors in safe mode I believe are common but I'm not entirely sure as I've never had to boot into safe mode before.

so do you think a clean install of windows 7 and fresh drivers should do it?
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
November 18, 2012 6:01:33 AM

prodigydoo said:
so do you think a clean install of windows 7 and fresh drivers should do it?

I would try that after a clean install of the Nvidia drivers. Download the newest WHQL drivers from the website, then under the custom settings check the "Clean Installation" box.
November 18, 2012 6:39:40 AM

abCasPeRR said:
I would try that after a clean install of the Nvidia drivers. Download the newest WHQL drivers from the website, then under the custom settings check the "Clean Installation" box.

Ok, Thanks, ill give that a go.. so you think the cards not broken?
Score
a b U Graphics card
November 18, 2012 7:04:30 AM

prodigydoo said:
Ok, Thanks, ill give that a go.. so you think the cards not broken?

Well I'm not saying its not, it's better to just rule out all possible problems before saying it is.
Score
November 18, 2012 7:35:13 AM

abCasPeRR said:
Well I'm not saying its not, it's better to just rule out all possible problems before saying it is.

ok so if it doesnt work when i install clean drivers..
And it doesnt work when i install win7 and more clean drivers.. then is it broken, or are there still more things i could try?
Score
a b U Graphics card
November 18, 2012 8:25:14 AM

prodigydoo said:
ok so if it doesnt work when i install clean drivers..
And it doesnt work when i install win7 and more clean drivers.. then is it broken, or are there still more things i could try?

Yeah I would say so. I would have said to try it with a different system but you've already done that.
Score
!