New system with only SSDs

Chad333

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Motherboard: Extreme6 or MSI GD65 (Microcenter deal)
Processor: i5 3570k (Microcenter deal)
CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 (acquired this free)
Memory: 8GB or 16GB at least 1600 with Cas Latency of 9
Graphics: XFX 7870 (purchased on sale - I don't see the advantage of almost spending double for a 7970)
Optical Drive: Standard 24x
Power: OCZ ZX 850W 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular (already purchased during a sale)
Case: Corsair Obsidian 550D (already purchased during a sale)

My big question is storage. I am thinking about going all SSD. Probably two of the Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB SSDs. With that case I would still have two 6 GB/s slots open, which would allow me to add another SSD and later a big HDD if needed.

I mostly use it for gaming, work (MS Office), minor video and picture editing (not professional by any means or more often than a few times a month), web surfing, media center (but not for movies yet, which is why I may need the HDD in the future).

Anyone notice any issues with this?

Emelth

Distinguished
8GB DDR3 1600 RAM make sure its 1.5V and low profile (meaning no headspreaders which are those toothy-like things on the top they can get in the way of the CPU cooler sometimes)

With your 850W PSU you would be able to do a Tri-CF possibly

When it comes to SSDs most of us only put games, OS, and most used programs. The question you need to ask yourself do you really have that much stuff that needs to go on an SSD? If I were you I would get one large SSD (256GB) and then a reg HDD.