Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Gtx
  • Computer
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 18, 2012 6:10:45 AM

Hi.
I just wanted to ask some of you guys to see if the GTX 690 would work in my computer.
Or should I get 1 GTX 680 or maybe go GTX 680sli?
What I have seen so far and read on forums etc, I see that having a PCI-E 3.0 won't make a big difference.
But I still wan't to make sure to see if the GTX 690 would really run with my computer well.

Here is my system specs now:

Case: Coolermaster Haf X

Motherboard: EVGA X58 3X-Sli

Memory Ram: OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3

Processor: Intel Core i7 930 Quad Core 8MB Cache 2.8GHz

Heatsink: Coolermaster V8

Video Card: GTX 480 PNY

Power Supply: Corsair 850W

Monitor: LG 1920x1080 Full HD (23 Inch)

Hard Drive: Western D.1tb + WD 150Gb

Let me know!
Thanks!

More about : gtx 690 work computer

a b U Graphics card
November 18, 2012 6:43:48 AM

Yeah, it should work. The 690 is way overkill for your resolution. You would see a greater benefit by getting a 7970 or a gtx 670 and use the money saved to get a new mb, cpu and ssd. You will not notice any difference at 1080p from the extra muscle you get from the 690 compared with the other two.

Adding an ssd for your os and the programs/games you use often will greatly improve the responsiveness of your systen. It's hard to believe without trying, but once you try ssd - you will never go back!! :) 
Score
November 18, 2012 7:01:05 AM

True cobot and i think that power supply is too lowthis sytem and with GTX 690 its too big overkill for this system better go with something lwer you gona save money get better cpu or ram,HDDs,SSDs
Score
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 18, 2012 9:12:27 AM

I do agree with the other Guys. You might benifit better off buying a new MOBO and a new CPU aswell.

BTW GTX 690, is 2 GTX 680 combined, so I wouldn't recommend going for the 2 GTX 680. Enough about that and let us get to the real deal.

The CPU you have now will bottleneck the newer and stronger GPUs. If you want a new CPU, then you need a new MOBO because the new CPUs uses a 1155 socket, while you have a 1156 socket right now.

The resolution you're playing at isn't too high, so getting a single 7970, 7950, 690 or 680 is waaaay too much. Those are meant for high resolutions.

I see you got a big budget, but you would be fine by getting a 660, 660 ti or a 7870, because those are meant for fluent and fast 1080p gaming. I would recommend the GTX 670, it's overkill for your resolution, but I see you like it to be "a Little over the top", so the GTX 670 would still get you ahead and keeping you future proof for at least 2 years. :) 
Score
November 18, 2012 4:14:11 PM

lostgamer_03 said:
I do agree with the other Guys. You might benifit better off buying a new MOBO and a new CPU aswell.

BTW GTX 690, is 2 GTX 680 combined, so I wouldn't recommend going for the 2 GTX 680. Enough about that and let us get to the real deal.

The CPU you have now will bottleneck the newer and stronger GPUs. If you want a new CPU, then you need a new MOBO because the new CPUs uses a 1155 socket, while you have a 1156 socket right now.

The resolution you're playing at isn't too high, so getting a single 7970, 7950, 690 or 680 is waaaay too much. Those are meant for high resolutions.

I see you got a big budget, but you would be fine by getting a 660, 660 ti or a 7870, because those are meant for fluent and fast 1080p gaming. I would recommend the GTX 670, it's overkill for your resolution, but I see you like it to be "a Little over the top", so the GTX 670 would still get you ahead and keeping you future proof for at least 2 years. :) 

Thanks for the answer.
Alright, so instead of getting the GTX 690, which motherboard and Processor should I get?
Also, which SSD would be great + a graphics card.
All these have to be under 1000$ because that is my limit right now.
For the SSD, I don't need anything big, a 128GB would be more than enough to install my Windows 7 on and some programs.
Score
November 18, 2012 4:52:17 PM

Actually, now that I've read more information on the internet and such, what I'll do is get a new:
Motherboard
Processor
SSD
Memory Ram (maybe)

And for the GPU, I'll just wait for the 700 series and get one of those If I will need it since right now my GTX 480 can handle any game on maxed!

Any suggestions for the CPU, MOBO, SSD and Ram?
Score
November 18, 2012 4:58:01 PM

or you can get a 680 and then get 2 more identical monitors
Score
November 18, 2012 5:27:31 PM

you can get pretty good CPU and others so here you go!

CPU:Intel Core i7-3770

MOBO:Giga Byte GA-Z77N-WIFI really good eaven with WIFI so you can use WIFI in desktop if need!

SSD:A-Data Premier Pro SP900 128GB SATA 3+adapter

RAM:Kingston 8GB, DDR3, 1600MHz, CL9, Kit Of 2, HyperX Red

and you gona left much money and fast system!
Score
November 18, 2012 5:45:07 PM

btw, for a motherboard i would suggest an ASRock extreme 4 atx z77 board
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
November 18, 2012 6:40:05 PM

Do you only use your computer for gaming?

Your cpu is by no means bad, if you are only gaming and will wait with upgrading the GPU (which is not a bad idea if you can still max everything :) ), you may as well wait with upgrading the CPU as well.

If I were you I would simply just overclock the CPU a bit (you already have a decent aftermarket cooler) and wait until you feel that you need new GPU and then upgrade everything at once.

If you only game, you won't see that much improvement by just upgrading your CPU. Just get an ssd for now - that does make a huge difference. Maybe not in fps, but in pretty much everything else.

November 18, 2012 6:53:31 PM

cobot said:
Do you only use your computer for gaming?

Your cpu is by no means bad, if you are only gaming and will wait with upgrading the GPU (which is not a bad idea if you can still max everything :) ), you may as well wait with upgrading the CPU as well.

If I were you I would simply just overclock the CPU a bit (you already have a decent aftermarket cooler) and wait until you feel that you need new GPU and then upgrade everything at once.

If you only game, you won't see that much improvement by just upgrading your CPU. Just get an ssd for now - that does make a huge difference. Maybe not in fps, but in pretty much everything else.

That is exactly what I'm going to do. I thought about it really good this time and I decided to wait for now and not upgrade my mobo or cpu or graphics card since like I said before I can still run everything on maxed easily.
I do like to game a lot and also use programs such as Photoshop and After Effects.
What I decided to buy is the Crucial 512gb SSD because I really need a new HD so going SSD will definitely will be an improvement in my system.

Thank you for all of the answers everyone.
SSD is what I'm going to buy and for the rest of the components, I'll just wait.
Score
!