Is this a good budget gaming rig?

CPU: Intel Pentium G860 3.0GHz Dual-Core Processor (£47.94 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£62.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£31.38 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£45.54 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card (£138.94 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£39.98 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£49.98 @ Novatech).

Apparently it will run skyrim and battlefield on medium settings at highs of 60 fps and on high, 45 fps, tell me what you think P.P im only 14 so pricing is a major factor :D
18 answers Last reply
More about good budget gaming
  1. Seems very good for the money. Go ahead with the purchase ;)
  2. Do you think the fps predictions sound right or possibly a little far fetched?, i hope to purchase a computer soon as most of my paper round money has been spent on replacing my xbox, i wish i stuck with my dad and just stuck to pc gaming, but alas im a typical Obnoxious kid :D. Now i learn the hard way!
  3. I see that you have spend some time searching for best deals. I think it is pretty solid rig.
    Few things I would change...CPU and PSU. I would get at least i3 3220 and also corsair,antec, or seasonic PSU. These would last a long long time.
    Just remember than in 2-3 years you will upgrade the motherboard, CPU, memories, and VGA...only thing that remains is the PSU, drives, dvdrom, keyboard, mouse, and case :)

    So buy quality PSU. I'm using my 1000W Antec since 2006.
  4. You could save some money on MB, otherwise good build
  5. @maxinexus XFX is made by seasonic.

    Quote:
    Apparently it will run skyrim and battlefield on medium settings at highs of 60 fps and on high, 45 fps, tell me what you think P.P im only 14 so pricing is a major factor


    that *sounds* about right, however what is your resolution?
  6. Thanks for the help, i'll get a better PSU and the i3 for sure, do you know if they will be compatible?
  7. that *sounds* about right, however what is your resolution?


    Im going to get a 720 by 1280 monitor or i'll use my hd tv which i also believe is 720/1280 or should i get a different resolution, im a n00b :pt1cable:
  8. samuellewisjoyce said:
    Thanks for the help, i'll get a better PSU and the i3 for sure, do you know if they will be compatible?

    that XFX PSU is a great choice and will have no problems with any cpu and graphics card, including overclocking, except for some 7970s.

    the i3 will make a difference in skyrim but not so much in BF3 single player campaign but go for it, if you can afford it.

    Quote:
    Im going to get a 720 by 1280 monitor or i'll use my hd tv which i also believe is 720/1280 or should i get a different resolution, im a n00b


    if you get to a 1080 resolution you'll find you will enjoy it. but right now at 1280/720 you will get better frame rates than you "expect" and a bit lower @ 1080 (like what you do expect, if that makes sense.)
  9. No, that PSU is great. I don't see why it'd need to go. You won't find a better one for the price, that's quite certain.

    The i3-3220 is good if it isn't significantly more expensive. It will work with your mobo.
  10. What would dual monitors be like on this?
  11. Anonymous said:
    @maxinexus XFX is made by seasonic.

    Quote:
    Apparently it will run skyrim and battlefield on medium settings at highs of 60 fps and on high, 45 fps, tell me what you think P.P im only 14 so pricing is a major factor


    that *sounds* about right, however what is your resolution?


    I know that it is kinda like Toyota and Lexus. The Seasonic uses a higher quality components, quieter cooling fan, and has a better build quality than the version built for XFX.
  12. You mean Toyota is superior to Lexus? No, I don't think that's how it is, and I don't think it's a good analogy either.
  13. Would this even be able to play battlefield online multiplayer or are the components not powerful enough?
  14. how about this ferrari=seasonic while lamborghini=XFX both great cars it just depends on what you like
  15. samuellewisjoyce said:
    Would this even be able to play battlefield online multiplayer or are the components not powerful enough?


    with the 7850 you should be fine. battlefield 3 is very graphics card dependent. I was playing bf3 on 1920x1080 on high settings with a hd 6770 at around 30-40 fps. A 7850 is twice as powerful as a 6770
  16. maxinexus said:
    I know that it is kinda like Toyota and Lexus. The Seasonic uses a higher quality components, quieter cooling fan, and has a better build quality than the version built for XFX.

    wrong. :non:
    Reviews - XFX Core Edition 550W
    Page 3 - Conclusion and scoring
    Internally, we can see that the Core Edition 550W uses the Seasonic S12II platform, very much like the Core Edition 450W. Even the fan is identical:


    Reviews - Seasonic S12 II Bronze 520W



    edit: even the primary cap is the same where most OEMs would skimp out making a unit for someone else . .
  17. im gonna splash out a bit more and go for the i3 and thats the only thing im changing because im sure that this rig will be able to satisfy my gaming needs, all it has to do is beat console gaming and how old is a ps3? pc will win me over im sure.

    thanks for the help everyone! ;) :hello:
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems