Sign in with
Your question

Is it really necessary to clean the GPU?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • GPUs
  • Gaming
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
November 18, 2012 8:19:08 AM

Hey Guys!

I bought a new gaming rig not long ago, and I really want it to last a long time. That is why I need to know, if it's necessary to clean the GPU?

I'm no big Expert, when it comes to Building a gaming rig. But I'm no noob either, I know the basics, but I am still a Little unsure if I'm brave enough to take the heatsink off the GPU and blow it off, without it getting damaged.

I got the GTX 660 with a reference design cooler.

Any suggestions?

More about : clean gpu

November 18, 2012 8:39:11 AM

I would suggest removing the gpu from the pc and taking it outside and using a can of compressed air.
a c 133 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
November 18, 2012 8:49:54 AM

Yes, its necessary to clean the components occasionally. Recommended is every 6months.

Just get a can of compressed air and blow in through the back, then blow into the fan to get rid of the dust loosened by the initial blast. If it has side air vents you can blast from there as well.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
November 18, 2012 8:50:43 AM

I got the reference cooler, if I blow air in, then the dust won't come out, it will just move further into the GPU.
a c 133 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
November 18, 2012 8:51:52 AM

The dust that gets into the card will be well and truly entrenched from air flow from the direction of the fan, so you have to blow from the back to dislodge it. Then blow from the fan to get it out.
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
November 18, 2012 8:59:47 AM

Let me get this straight!

First blow from the back (where the heat comes out), after that blow at the fan.

By doing this, the dust that is stuck will get free and after it will get blown out?

Thank you for the quick answer by the way, I appreciate it!
!