Here is what I posted on Dell community forum. Hopefully, my post will prevent people from buying Dell 2748 switch (even from ebay)
It is likely that your 2748 is gone. This is dell community forum so I am passing this message to those of you who are from/working for Dell. Hear me out:
1. I owned and operated 2748 for about a year. Luckily, I owned only 1
2. Yesterday, when I needed to modify my VLAN config and tried to get into Managed Mode. The web interface never came up. AND don't tell me what I need to do to access the interface
3. What is happening is after boot, it goes into unmanaged mode (flashing LED stop), I press mode button once and then it goes into managed mode. It is STUCK in that state after this
4. There is no serial port, no reset button (mode button is the reset button, I am laughing sarcastically)
5. I can't think of the root cause except that I put that switch into Secure mode for about a year. Secure mode is the mode in which the switch removes its IP address and made itself inaccessible over the net
6. I guess the switch doesn't know how to re-enable its IP back or maybe Dell uses some other Voodoo magic such as Write Only Memory (WOM) to cut some corners so that Michael Dell can buy some additional diapers....
7. I don't know of any other Dell switch that has secure mode. I am guessing Dell implemented it as an experiment and later dropped it due to problems. The model 2748 went on to sell for a couple of years so that they can recover the cost. Ever heard of Dell leaked capacitors? Google it and see how Dell responded in that case. Their motto is "Sell First, Deal With It Later. If Things Gone Outta Control, Lets Turn Face The Other Way"
This is the last dell switch I would buy. If you gonna delete this post, go ahead coz I already posted this other forums. This is a free world and I am trying to defend against some phrases like "Don’t bring this to customer's attention proactively" and "Emphasize uncertainty."
Dell 2748 switch sucks faulty low quality
web management interface doesn't didn't respond works only on default vlan 1
ether channel erroneous packet loss