Sign in with
Your question

RSoD 680GTX 4GB SLI

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 18, 2012 9:30:48 AM

Hey guys,

I'm really at the end of my rope here..I've tried everything i can think of and other forums can't help me either so here goes nothing. The cards work perfectly when not in SLI, all PCI-E slots work and the cards work too.

The moment I enable SLI and I start any program (BF3, Crysis, Benchmarks etc) that utilizes SLI in fullscreen it gives me the Red Screen of Death.

It all works fine in windowed mode, for example BF3. But when i flick it to fullscreen and hit apply it just goes to the red screen.

I've did fresh OS installs, a bunch of different drivers, tried different sli bridges, I don't use monitoring software which others have problems with, have all updates installed etc etc.

-i7-3930k
-Rampage IV Extreme
-Asus 680GTX 4GB model in SLI
-4x4GB G.skill ddr3 2133Mhz
-Samsung 830 256GB
-OCZ ZX series 1000W
-Win 7 64 bit and Vista 64 bit (tried both)

I really hope you guys can help me!

More about : rsod 680gtx 4gb sli

November 18, 2012 9:37:07 AM

Quote:
The cards work perfectly when not in SLI, all PCI-E slots work and the cards work too.

I've tried the cards thoroughly, all the outputs work, all the slots work, both cards work.
a c 291 U Graphics card
November 18, 2012 10:20:16 AM

Do you have any people you know with an SLI motherboard? Not necessarily a new one, just one you could test your cards in. Personally it looks to me as if the motherboard is faulty.
Related resources
November 18, 2012 10:29:24 AM

I can put the cards in a different setup today but i think the card will do fine. Same with the motherboard, the cards work in all pci-e slots except when i turn on sli. My thought is somehow it might be a driver problem?
a c 271 U Graphics card
November 18, 2012 10:32:44 AM

robertwest said:
I can put the cards in a different setup today but i think the card will do fine. Same with the motherboard, the cards work in all pci-e slots except when i turn on sli. My thought is somehow it might be a driver problem?

More likely a hardware issue as in motherboard, bridge or card.
a c 185 U Graphics card
November 18, 2012 10:42:34 AM

robertwest said:
Not likely a driver issue i have sli 670 no issues.
November 18, 2012 10:54:54 AM

Cards work fine as stand-alones or both in the mobo but with sli disabled. The problem is just present when i enable sli..
a c 291 U Graphics card
November 18, 2012 1:09:21 PM

I still suspect the motherboard :) .
a c 271 U Graphics card
November 18, 2012 1:10:20 PM

Sunius said:
I still suspect the motherboard :) .

Or the SLi bridge. :whistle: 

If it is a software conflict then the OP needs to establish what other software that they are using that is loading up the graphic card.
a c 291 U Graphics card
November 18, 2012 1:43:15 PM

Well, he said he tried another SLI bridge :) .
a c 185 U Graphics card
November 18, 2012 1:56:18 PM

Well if it is a driver issue which i highly doubt it.I would guess it be fixed within a week or two tops after all it is nvidia cards we are talking about here.
a c 271 U Graphics card
November 18, 2012 2:09:23 PM

Sunius said:
Well, he said he tried another SLI bridge :) .

Oops I missed that bit, looks like the motherboard is the likely suspect or one of the cards is broken.
a c 271 U Graphics card
November 18, 2012 2:11:10 PM

bigcyco1 said:
Well if it is a driver issue which i highly doubt it.I would guess it be fixed within a week or two tops after all it is nvidia cards we are talking about here.

If it were drivers I think we would have seen a lot more posts/threads from other people by now.
a c 185 U Graphics card
November 18, 2012 2:22:59 PM

Mousemonkey said:
If it were drivers I think we would have seen a lot more posts/threads from other people by now.
Good point. :) 
December 27, 2012 1:05:19 AM

I don't know why I didn't come across this thread sooner. I searched high and low but couldn't find one more person with the same problem. Let me tell you now that it is indeed the cards that have a faulty VBIOS that is keeping them from SLIing. Asus website even has an update that says fixes an SLI issue but unfortunately it wouldn't install on these cards. The reason ASUS hasn't done anything about the issue is because not many people have reported it. Not many people have two of these because they just recently got released, they're expensive and the next model coming out next year.

I contacted my point of purchase as well as ASUS but ASUS customer service reps don't seem to be able to tell their faces from their *****. Following are the correspondence between me and ASUS

Me:

[Product Information]
*Product Type : Graphic Card
*Product Model : GTX680-DC2G-4GD5
*Product S/N : CAXXCM00****
Place of Purchase : dabs.com
*Date of Purchase : 2012/12/12

[Motherboard Specification]
*Motherboard Vendor : Asus
*Motherboard Revision : Rampage IV Formula 1.01
*Motherboard BIOS Revision : 3301

[CPU Specification]
*CPU Vendor : Intel
*CPU Type : 3930k LGA2011
*CPU Speed : 4.5GHz

[Memory Specification]
*Memory Vendor : Corsair
*Memory Model : Dominator DDR3 @1866MHz
*Memory Capacity : 16GB

[HDD Specification]
HDD Vendor :
HDD Model :
HDD Capacity :

[Add-on Card Specificatio]
Add-on Card Vendor : Asus
Add-on Card Type : Audio
Add-on Card Model : ROG Xonar Phoebus

*Operating System : Windows 8 64bit

[Problem Description]
I previously had two reference GTX 680 in SLI which worked brilliantly in my system.
Two weeks ago I bought the above mentioned Asus cards bearing serial numbers
CAXXCM00**** and CAXXCM00**** to replace the reference ones. Now, on their
own, both cards work fine but with SLI enabled, the computer crashes as soon as a
3D programme like a game or benchmarking is started. Sometimes the process can
be terminated but most of the time the computer needs restarting. I have ruled out
anything else to be the culprit because, I have tried both cards in SLI in my
motherboard and my friends motherboard. I have tried them with both freshly
installed windows 7 and 8. I tried with two different SLI bridges too. I have the latest
nvidia 310.70 drivers and the latest firmware for my motherboard installed. The two
computers that these cards been tried in, both have 850w and 1200w power
supplies. Then again, I mentioned to begin with that as soon as I put the reference
cards back in the computer works as intended in SLI. I checked the asus website for
a firmware update for the cards and found that there is one available that apparently
fixes SLI issues but they are not for my cards as mine have the part numbers
beginning with 90Y and the update is for 60Y. I've tried everything possible and finally
have given up. Please advice the needful ASAP as I had a perfectly working system
and it seems like I spent more money just to break it and it's really frustrating.

ASUS REP:

Dear valued customer,

Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.
My name is Carol and it is my pleasure to help you with your problem.

Could you please use the cards separately in other computer for a try? Then we can
find it is software or not.

If you have another problem, please get contact with us ASAP.

Me:

Thanks for your reply but I did mention that I tried the cards in my friends computer. I
also mentioned that they work fine individually meaning separately and that I tried
them in a computer with freshly installed windows 7 and also windows 8 in two
different computers with latest drivers. These cards being recently released, I don't
know if there's an SLI problem with this model of the cards or whether there's a
problem with just one of the two that I have. Unless I get hold of a third one, I'll never
know.

ASUS REP:

Dear valued customer,

Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.
My name is Carol and it is my pleasure to help you with your problem.

For the problem, I suggest you to uninstall your VGA driver completely and download from the asus website:http://support.asus.com.cn/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p...

If still, you could contact your dealer to change a card for a testing.

If you have another problem, please get contact with us ASAP.

So, clearly you can see that Carol is definitely talking out of the wrong end here but for any consolation, you're not the only one out there. I'm positive that 4 cards can not be faulty. There IS a VBIOS fix out there meaning ASUS knows about it. Too bad it is not suitable for my cards at least as the batch ID doesn't match, hence, GPUTweak doesn't even install it. The only thing between us and ASUS is Carol and I don't think that's going to go anywhere like this. I'm going to send the cards back to dabs tomorrow after forwarding them this whole thread as they don't seem to have a clue regarding this. I joined this forum just to make this comment as this whole shenanigan's been bothering me and I thank you for starting the thread
December 27, 2012 1:11:28 AM

You could try and wait it out, unless you're playing with 3 monitors or some high crazy resolution you can easily max out any game with a 680 at 1080p, but like the other people say its probably a motherboard problem. Try to RMA the motherboard maybe? Check all of the capacitors on the cards and motherboards and make sure none are busted and check the pcie connector and slot to see if there may be any damage or maybe since the cards are still new they arent sli ready yet. This happend to me a while back them saying SLI ready but screwing up everything.
December 27, 2012 1:30:47 AM

solomaniac85 said:
You could try and wait it out, unless you're playing with 3 monitors or some high crazy resolution you can easily max out any game with a 680 at 1080p, but like the other people say its probably a motherboard problem. Try to RMA the motherboard maybe? Check all of the capacitors on the cards and motherboards and make sure none are busted and check the pcie connector and slot to see if there may be any damage or maybe since the cards are still new they arent sli ready yet. This happend to me a while back them saying SLI ready but screwing up everything.

Well, 3 motherboards with 12 PCI-E slots between them and 4 cards (Cap wise) can't go wrong at the same time. I did mention that my reference GTX 680's work fine in SLI which both Carol the ASUS rep and you failed to notice. I 100% agree with your comment about the cards being not SLI ready but how can that be? Why would a card be released with limitations like that? As I said, ASUS knows about it and that's why there's a fix out but just not for the cards that I have. Is it going to be wise to keep the cards and hope there's a fix coming when I still can send them back and get the three slotted ones? The reason I bought these in the first place was because I'm going to go 3 monitors surround with 3D Vision
!