Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Rate/Improve this new build please...

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 2, 2013 4:58:48 PM

My younger brothers birthday is in a few days, so we're going to be ordering him parts for a new computer build. I had a few questions, along with a base build I kind of through together. Please rate, or alter/recommend suggestions and improvements for the build. Build requirements below, would like it to be ready for Crossfire/SLI in the future (build below is...or should be).

Budget: $1000 give or take a few dollars.

Need: Tower components and OS (see below).
Don't Need: Monitor, mouse, speakers, keyboard.

Plays: S.U.N., WoW, Guild Wars 2, Battlefield 3 potentially.
Mon. Resolution: 1920x1080

Rate/Improve this build:
CPU: Intel i5 3570K ($170 @ Microcenter)
http://www.microcenter.com/product/388577/Core_i5_3570K...

Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO ($30 @ Microcenter)
http://www.microcenter.com/product/373900/Hyper_212_EVO...

Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-V LK ($135 @ Microcenter)
http://www.microcenter.com/product/393422/P8Z77-V_LK_LG...

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600 LP* ($45 @ Newegg)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GPU: Gigabyte HD 7870 2GB GHz Edition ($240 @ Newegg)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB ($90 @ Microcenter)
http://www.microcenter.com/product/331606/Caviar_Black_...

SSD: Mushkin Chronos 120GB ($105 @ Newegg)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PSU: XFX P1-750x 750W 80+Bronze/Modular ($110 @ Newegg)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Case: CM Elite 431 ($60 @ Newegg)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Optical: Lite-On/ASUS/Samsung/LG etc. Dvd/CD-R ($16 @ Newegg)
OS: Windows 7/8 64bit OEM ($100)


Total: $910***

*LP: Low Profile ram, to avoid clearance issues with the Hyper 212 EVO that non-LP Corsair Vengeance ram can have.

Questions:
1) I see that EVGA just came out with some new psu's, namely the SuperNOVA. Are they any good and reliable? I can't seem to find much on them. Would you recommend them for future builds, or should I just stick with known reliable units instead?

2) With Windows 8 now out, should I stick with 7, or get him 8. I currently use 7 and have had no issues. I haven't tested 8 out myself so I don't have much knowledge on it, or it's compatibility with games that he's playing.

3) I picked the CM Elite 431 (upgraded slightly over the Elite 430) because he likes flashy cases/windows. Basically I just need a case that'll fit the Hyper 212, and I'll just throw an USB LED strip on the top inside of it. Not really a question, but nobody seems to like this case (except my brother), figured I'd go ahead and explain why it's listed.

4) I'm buying his OS, probably his cooler/optical, and maybe his ram depending on how my bills look next week. So the cost of the above is at $910 (went ahead and subtracted ram from it too), so the budget is for everything else not listed in this remark.




More about : rate improve build

January 2, 2013 5:39:15 PM

get the asrock extreme4 if it is cheaper(usually is) and the i5 is instore buy only. If you do have on near you then also get the 8GB crucial ballistics over there for about $30-$40

The same PSU is about $20 cheaper on NCIX
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1750bnlg...

for win7 vs win8, just go for which ever one is cheaper

for the SSD, either go with sandisk extreme or crucial m4
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/sandisk-internal-hard-driv...
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/crucial-internal-hard-driv...

If getting an SSD you will not need the WD black, save some money and go for WD blue or seagate barracuda

with the extra money saved i would try to opt for a 670
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-video-card-gvn670...
m
0
l
Related resources
January 2, 2013 8:26:29 PM

Go with windows 7, windows 8 isn't very user friendly. Go with an asrock extreme 4 mobo. As for ssd I prefer the Crucial M4, and go with a Seagate Barracuda. If you have the extra couple bucks with the money saved go for a Radeon 7950.
m
0
l
January 2, 2013 8:30:16 PM

dhakon said:
My younger brothers birthday is in a few days, so we're going to be ordering him parts for a new computer build. I had a few questions, along with a base build I kind of through together. Please rate, or alter/recommend suggestions and improvements for the build. Build requirements below, would like it to be ready for Crossfire/SLI in the future (build below is...or should be).

Budget: $1000 give or take a few dollars.

Need: Tower components and OS (see below).
Don't Need: Monitor, mouse, speakers, keyboard.

Plays: S.U.N., WoW, Guild Wars 2, Battlefield 3 potentially.
Mon. Resolution: 1920x1080

Rate/Improve this build:
CPU: Intel i5 3570K ($170 @ Microcenter)
http://www.microcenter.com/product/388577/Core_i5_3570K...

Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO ($30 @ Microcenter)
http://www.microcenter.com/product/373900/Hyper_212_EVO...

Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-V LK ($135 @ Microcenter)
http://www.microcenter.com/product/393422/P8Z77-V_LK_LG...

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600 LP* ($45 @ Newegg)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GPU: Gigabyte HD 7870 2GB GHz Edition ($240 @ Newegg)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB ($90 @ Microcenter)
http://www.microcenter.com/product/331606/Caviar_Black_...

SSD: Mushkin Chronos 120GB ($105 @ Newegg)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PSU: XFX P1-750x 750W 80+Bronze/Modular ($110 @ Newegg)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Case: CM Elite 431 ($60 @ Newegg)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Optical: Lite-On/ASUS/Samsung/LG etc. Dvd/CD-R ($16 @ Newegg)
OS: Windows 7/8 64bit OEM ($100)


Total: $910***

*LP: Low Profile ram, to avoid clearance issues with the Hyper 212 EVO that non-LP Corsair Vengeance ram can have.

Questions:
1) I see that EVGA just came out with some new psu's, namely the SuperNOVA. Are they any good and reliable? I can't seem to find much on them. Would you recommend them for future builds, or should I just stick with known reliable units instead?

2) With Windows 8 now out, should I stick with 7, or get him 8. I currently use 7 and have had no issues. I haven't tested 8 out myself so I don't have much knowledge on it, or it's compatibility with games that he's playing.

3) I picked the CM Elite 431 (upgraded slightly over the Elite 430) because he likes flashy cases/windows. Basically I just need a case that'll fit the Hyper 212, and I'll just throw an USB LED strip on the top inside of it. Not really a question, but nobody seems to like this case (except my brother), figured I'd go ahead and explain why it's listed.

4) I'm buying his OS, probably his cooler/optical, and maybe his ram depending on how my bills look next week. So the cost of the above is at $910 (went ahead and subtracted ram from it too), so the budget is for everything else not listed in this remark.


-id rather not get evga's psus. cheaper options
-go download a 30 day trial of windows 8 to see if you like it or not. i dont. cant even find the shut down button -_-
-there are better cases out there at the same price range if you would like. and cheaper ram

heres what i would get
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vxjN

-get the CPU at micro if you have one nearby
-i chose a gtx 660 given that it performs around the same as the 7870 but is 20 bucks cheaper
m
0
l
January 2, 2013 8:35:08 PM

+1 to thebigtroll, It took me a good 10 mins to try and turn the damn thing off!
m
0
l
January 2, 2013 9:59:45 PM

quilciri said:
Better PSU for cheaper

SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($88.53 @ Amazon)

will handle a pair 7870's & overclocking without breaking a sweat.


it will work but that is pretty much stressing the PSU, give it some room, the extra $10 for the extra 100W is worth it not to mention that it is not technically better because XFX PSU is made by Seasonic and at silver instead of the bronze
m
0
l
January 2, 2013 10:41:26 PM

boulbox said:
it will work but that is pretty much stressing the PSU, give it some room, the extra $10 for the extra 100W is worth it not to mention that it is not technically better because XFX PSU is made by Seasonic and at silver instead of the bronze


Not true at all. A 7870 draws 144w at absolute max. A system with a pair of 7870's would draw ~450w before overclocking. On top of that, Seasonic always underrates its PSU's wattage.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7850_HD_7870/...
m
0
l
January 2, 2013 10:45:21 PM

quilciri said:
Not true at all. A 7870 draws 144w at absolute max. A system with a pair of 7870's would draw ~450w before overclocking. On top of that, Seasonic always underrates its PSU's wattage.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7850_HD_7870/...


most high quality under rates their wattage for reasons that they don't want to put to much stress onto the PSU.
m
0
l
January 2, 2013 10:51:18 PM

boulbox said:
most high quality under rates their wattage for reasons that they don't want to put to much stress onto the PSU.


the *main* point was that a dual 7870 system won't even come close to stressing what seasonic said the psu's wattage was, which is what you claimed.

realistically, that system will barely top 400w under full load before overclocking. that 144w max was only under stress testing software if you read the article. when running a demanding game in the review (crysis 2, 1920x1200 , extreme graphic setting) , the card only reached 115w.

the 620w has *plenty* of headroom for a dual 7870 system.

Admittedly, I am biased against PSU companies that simply commission PSU's from the actual manufacturers. I'm not saying that XFX PSU's are bad, since they're built by Seasonic, I just prefer to get my beef directly from the cow :) .
m
0
l
January 2, 2013 11:39:26 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys. Quick question about the gpu's, and psu wattage.

1) How are the new 660's and 660ti's performing against say a 7870GHz or 7950? I've read that the 660's lower bus could restrict it in certain situations like multiple monitors or higher resolutions than 1920x1080, as well as people stating that it wasn't the "best" of cards to setup in SLI.

2) I always tend to leave some headroom with my psu's, and while shopping for components, and throwing build lists together I always stumble upon wattage calculators, such as the one at Newegg, among others, etc. I never really trust them too much though. Is there any reliability to these calculators, or are there any worth using?
m
0
l
January 3, 2013 12:11:17 AM

If its between the 660ti or 7950, I prefer the 7950 you will not ever be limited and its just a better card overall.
m
0
l
January 3, 2013 1:43:20 PM

a 7950 will perform better than a 660ti, but then you lose a tad of stability
m
0
l
!