TV Tuner Card

I am thinking of purchasing a TV Tuner Card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116036
and what to know if I need a discrete sound and video card. I presently have a I5 2400 CPU on a Gigabyte H67MA-USB3 B3 Mobo using integrated graphics and sound. The cost of the card is not bad, but if I need to purchase separate cards then a TV would be more efficient.

Thank you for your help
4 answers Last reply
More about tuner card
  1. I always have to ask, what is your video source:

1) Over-The-Air (OTA) free transmissions
    2) Cable - No Set Top Box required
    3) Cable - With Set top Box
    4) Satellite

In theory, the HD2000 onboard chipset *should* be enough for HD playback. If you try it and it's not meeting your expectations, you don't need to go out and purchase a $200 graphics card. Any HD6450 or GT620 should be able to handle HD TV over a TV Tuner card (Do you have 4GB of RAM installed?).

-Wolf sends

P.S. That's a great card you've selected. I'm just not sure you need it.
  2. Wolfshadw said:
    I always have to ask, what is your video source:

1) Over-The-Air (OTA) free transmissions
    2) Cable - No Set Top Box required
    3) Cable - With Set top Box
    4) Satellite

In theory, the HD2000 onboard chipset *should* be enough for HD playback. If you try it and it's not meeting your expectations, you don't need to go out and purchase a $200 graphics card. Any HD6450 or GT620 should be able to handle HD TV over a TV Tuner card (Do you have 4GB of RAM installed?).

-Wolf sends

P.S. That's a great card you've selected. I'm just not sure you need it.

I have standard cable with no box where I will be using the card. 8GB of RAM.
    Card system requirements state I need sound and graphics but I just want to watch basic TV through computer on 1 of my monitors (both 24 in Samsungs) and not a stand alone set.
    I am running into power issues until I run a new dedicated power line for my system.
    I will give the card a try and if it works then fine, if not will return to Newegg, only losing postage.

Thanks for your help
  3. Hell, I did SD TV with media center(XP at the time) on a Geforce 4MX :) you should be fine.

My only worry would be the running of 2 screens(lets say web and TV). I have not used Intel's HD 2000. I know something weak like a 4350 will NOT do both well at all(tv video skips when using the web). The HD 3000 actually impresses me for an onboard video card(muti-tasks rather well).

I think it is a good choice to go with a hardware based card(your TV card) like you are they just give better quality then all the software based stuff I have seen.
  4. nukemaster said:
    Hell, I did SD TV with media center(XP at the time) on a Geforce 4MX :) you should be fine.

My only worry would be the running of 2 screens(lets say web and TV). I have not used Intel's HD 2000. I know something weak like a 4350 will NOT do both well at all(tv video skips when using the web). The HD 3000 actually impresses me for an onboard video card(muti-tasks rather well).

I think it is a good choice to go with a hardware based card(your TV card) like you are they just give better quality then all the software based stuff I have seen.

Thanks for your help.
Ask a new question

Read More

Tuner Cards TV Tuner Graphics