Sign in with
Your question

Got a IVB i7 for xmas, time for a new build

Last response: in Systems
January 2, 2013 9:56:40 PM

I got an Ivy Bridge i7-3770K for Christmas and would like to build a new mid-range gaming box off of it. any input is appreciated as this is my first build. Here is a list of components that I've compiled from various builds found around the internet:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vy0O
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vy0O/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vy0O/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (-)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($45.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card ($287.99 @ Microcenter)
Case: Antec Three Hundred Illusion ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $668.91
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-02 18:33 EST-0500)

Will be running Win8 and I already have a monitor/keyboard/mouse.

I'm mostly wondering if I'm going overboard on some parts (minus the i7 because I know that is more power than I'll probably ever use), or if I need to add some juice to other areas (RAM/video card) so they will keep up with the rest of the machine.

I also have a 240G 520 series Intel SSD available to me for ~$145. Is it worth throwing that in or are there other SSDs I should look at?

Thanks in advance!

More about : ivb xmas time build

January 2, 2013 10:00:58 PM

everything looks pretty good. you could also consider a 7950 instead of the 660ti but that's up to you.

yes ssd's are worth it. i would highly recommend getting one. i would be more concerned with getting the biggest size ssd over the actual model. that said intel uses a sandforce controller and it isn't as good with incompressible data like videos, images and encryption.
m
l
January 2, 2013 10:01:49 PM

You're definitely right about the Ivy being overboard, it's actually an 8 core lol. I use mine for 3D Rendering. Everything else is great though. Boy, did you get it cheap, no wonder you got it!

Have Fun!
m
l
Related resources
January 2, 2013 10:13:13 PM

Quote:
I also have a 240G 520 series Intel SSD available to me for ~$145. Is it worth throwing that in or are there other SSDs I should look at?

I would personally not get an Intel SSD - I had one and had nothing but problems with it. Plus the Intel SSDs are all based on the same old, slow and outdated Sandforce 2.0 controller. Get the OCZ Vector or Samsung 840 Pro instead - they're far newer and based on better controllers.
m
l
January 2, 2013 10:18:36 PM

i would look at a different motherboard. that one has horrible reviews on newegg. it only has a 4 pin motherboard plug and the sata ports are facing up. i know they made rev 1.1 of some boards and changed those but i would look elsewhere.

the intel drive is fine you wont be able to notice a difference between it and any other sata3 drive unless you benchmark it. get whatever is cheaper no need to spend another $100. it is amusing when someone calls intel unreliable and then recommends ocz.
m
l
January 2, 2013 10:26:30 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, guys

actually meant to select this board:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($109.99 @ NCIX US)

list is updated.
m
l
January 4, 2013 10:16:57 AM

jonjonjon said:
everything looks pretty good. you could also consider a 7950 instead of the 660ti but that's up to you.

yes ssd's are worth it. i would highly recommend getting one. i would be more concerned with getting the biggest size ssd over the actual model. that said intel uses a sandforce controller and it isn't as good with incompressible data like videos, images and encryption.

"Sandforce based drives do not do as well with incompressible data" - Image a real setting.. where the there's a mix of incompressible and compressible data in a any drive. Sandforce is effective and has much higher write speed. The only time you can face an issue with read/write performance is when the drive is nearly full to its capacity with incompressible data. That happens with other drives too.. right?

Have a look: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1290-page1.html. Hope it helps.
m
l
!