Advice for new stationary gaming pc

funnybiscuit

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
Hey!
I'm gonna build my first gaming computer soon and need some extra advice when it comes to the build. I've researched a lot on the web on most of the components and i've decided upon those but still not 100%. As the title says, it'll be a gaming pc while i'll also do some music production and video rendering.

These components, I have planned to buy:

Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Gene uATX Z77
CPU: Intel Core i5 - 3570K
GPU: MSi Radeon HD 7970 Lightning
PSU: Corsair Power Supply GS700 2013 Edition
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB)
HDD: SSD Corsair Force GT 120 GB
(Hard Drive 2: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB I buy then when I have more money)
Chassis: Zalman Z11 Plus

I'm pretty convinced on the motherboard but i've also discussed the mobo on another website and have been recommended to buy a MSI Z77A-GD65 or Gigabyte X79-UD3 so please take those into consideration as well if you can.

What do you think?

Any advice, recommendation etc is appreciated!
Thank you!

jonjonjon

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
save money on the motherboard. no need to spend $200 unless there is so specific feature you need. going X79 will cost you a lot more. save $100 off the motherboard and get a 3770k if you do a lot video editing/encoding.

funnybiscuit

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013

Thanks for the quick reply!
I won't be doing a lot of video rendering though. Only for the tracks from music production. Hence why i chose this mobo cuz of it's soundcard. And I'll be gaming on a slightly higher level than music production so i thought that maybe the maximus v gene will do me good.

jonjonjon

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
this makes it sound like its just the Realtek ALC892

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_maximus_v_gene_motherboard_review,2.html

Audio is managed by the good old Realtek ALC892 8-channel audio codec that falls within the SupremeFX III Sound - Audio That Takes SNR To The 110dB threshold thanks to new shielding.

i would get a cheaper board and if the sound wasn't good enough you can always buy a $40 sound card and it would still be less then the asus board.

http://techreport.com/review/23358/asus-budget-xonar-dgx-and-dsx-sound-cards-reviewed

funnybiscuit

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013

Hmm you're quite right, but has still been given good ratings on a couple websites including newegg!
Perhaps it isn't as good as i think, i haven't yet come across a thread with the maximus v gene included in the build. And as you said it might just be better to buy a cheaper gaming mobo and a seperate soundcard. but if so, which mobo?

jonjonjon

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
they are mostly similar. i would look in the $115-140 range and for something with Realtek ALC898 that also has the features you want. something like the extreme4 for $134.99. test out the onboard audio and if its not good enough buy a sound card buy the $40 asus sound card and at $175 with a better sound card.

funnybiscuit

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013

Thanks for your input! I'll definitely think about it! :)

TRENDING THREADS