Sign in with
Your question

Buying a processor...

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 18, 2012 3:34:02 PM

Hello guys i'm buying a processor and I need your help. :p 

Just upgraded from GT 220 1GB to HD 6770 1GB GDDR5, so now i'm upgrading a processor so I can buy better graphic cards in future, with no bottleneck.

So what processor do you guys recommend me?

My PC specs in case it helps:

GFX: HD 6770 1GB GDDR5

Processor: Intel Pentium E5700 - Dual-Core CPU, 3.00 GHz

Package: Socket 775 LGA

Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC.

Model: P5G41T-M LX2/GB

RAM: 4GB DDR3 400 MHz

DX: DirectX 11

If you need anything else about the specs, please tell me.

I'm actually looking for a i5 processor or something even better for a good price on this page: http://www.njuskalo.hr/procesor

BTW, sorry it's on Croatian, you can translate if you want.

What do you think, is it smart to buy hardware from pages like that because I can find some very good hardware for a good price there and they cost less than from the computer shop i'm usually buying at. It actually
depends how much people will set as a selling price.

Thank you very much! :) 

More about : buying processor

November 18, 2012 4:37:44 PM

I'm actually planning to buy used processors, is it safe to buy those? Will they perform the same as the new ones from computer shop? The page I mentioned above is similar to eBay, just on Croatian.
a c 195 U Graphics card
November 18, 2012 4:47:28 PM

The socket 775 system that you have has not had any new processors made for it in some years now. A HD6770 is a nice jump up from your GT220, and I believe also well-matched to your CPU. It also doesn't use a lot of power. What PSU do you have? Brand and model is important, not just wattage; if it was a cheap one (e.g. it came with your case) it is probably not capable of actually producing what is on its label.
If you want something more powerful, you will need to replace pretty much everything; motherboard, CPU, and RAM. Replacing the motherboard also means a new Windows license, and building a more powerful system will almost certainly require a new PSU.
Related resources
November 18, 2012 4:58:38 PM

So will I have to upgrade my motherboard to a socket 1155 one? I am ready to invest extra money for the motherboard. And about the PSU, I will check it later today or tommorrow. Actually at computer shop I had to pay additional money for a PSU upgrade when I was upgrading to a HD 6770. So I think I have a decent PSU.
a c 291 U Graphics card
November 18, 2012 5:24:07 PM

Which one to be exact?
a c 195 U Graphics card
November 18, 2012 5:26:18 PM

Check the PSU brand and model so we can see if it is of sufficient quality.
And yes, you will need a new motherboard. If your RAM is DDR3, you may be able to re-use it, although it is probably a lower speed than what is commonly used today.
November 18, 2012 7:06:36 PM

Okay, so:

My New PSU: PLATINUM MS-400 ATX P4 (400W)

My Old PSU: ATX-480W P4 (480W?)

a c 195 U Graphics card
November 18, 2012 7:24:42 PM

While it is entirely possible your newer PSU is the higher quality of the two (despite the lower labeled wattage), unless it is 80+ Platinum certified, if "Platinum" is just a name, I'd say that HD6770 is the strongest graphics card you can run on it.
November 18, 2012 7:28:55 PM

So I will have to upgrade my PSU also, for 3rd time? Hope it won't cost me so much.

And what about processor, for example i5 2500k will it have any problems with my PSU or should I upgrade?
November 18, 2012 8:41:29 PM

Can somebody explain to me about used processors that you buy from people, like on eBay?
a c 195 U Graphics card
November 18, 2012 8:53:01 PM

If your PSU has any level of 80+ certification (not necessarily platinum), that means it will have been tested at 100% of its labeled wattage. The temperature they use is unrealistically cool (only 23C), and de-rating means that, when heated up, maximum capacity and efficiency will both actually be lower. Still, it would mean the unit probably isn't junk.
A decent 400W PSU will have no difficulty with an i5-2500K and a HD7770 or GTX650 (or the HD6770 you have now). Before you go out and spend a lot of money, decide what you need to run better than it runs today.
I don't think I'd buy a used CPU on a site like eBay; refurbished from a computer store or other reputable source, but not a random stranger. You don't know if it was overclocked to the point of failure, hit with static, or was in a system that caught fire when a cheap PSU died violently.
What is your monitor's resolution? If it is 1440x900, 1280x1024, or smaller, you may not need anything more powerful than the HD6770 for good settings in games.
a b U Graphics card
November 18, 2012 8:56:38 PM

I've actually bought a few used processors through ebay and in person. Haven't had much trouble going that route. I tend to try to stay away from anyone selling one who says they've overclocked the crap out of it unless I want it for an overclocked machine.

Honestly, with the prices as they are; a decent i5 and a 16GB of DDR3 1600mhz can be a massive upgrade. It will make your E5700 seem like you had a celeron! But it depends on your budget. I'm not good with money conversion at all; but I know you can build quite a decent budget machine without looking into a graphics card for under $500 with everything aside from a monitor/OS.

:) 
November 19, 2012 11:30:02 AM

Admin is deleting our posts. We must wrtite on official lang- eng. Yea, you could buy it on njuskalo but that is always risky, but I quess you could fine some good seller who already has history of selling on njuskalo.
a c 271 U Graphics card
November 19, 2012 11:34:34 AM

lakyberry said:
Admin is deleting our posts. We must wrtite on official lang- eng. Yea, you could buy it on njuskalo but that is always risky, but I quess you could fine some good seller who already has history of selling on njuskalo.

This is an English speaking site and the option to delete posts that are in a language other than English has and will be exercised, if you wish to converse in a language other than English then take it to PM's.
November 19, 2012 11:38:47 AM

Ofcorse. I agree, rules must be folowed.
Anyway sorry about that.
!