Need Some Help on Transporting my New PC

Techguy1

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2012
Ok, So I have just built my first gaming pc and I want to bring it to my dads when I go there on a weekend. It will only be one time (It is just to show him) the thing is that I am worried about it getting damaged or somehow not working from the vibration of the car etc. What would be a safe way to ensure that it is safe and that I wont get damaged in anyway. I dont want my $1300 to go to waste.

I was thinking that I could use the box that the case came in and use the Styrofoam pieces for the top and bottom of it and put it in the box and bring it in the car? Would that be the best choice? Would there be any static that would build up?

Thanks

Solution
Remove the graphics card and CPU heatsink if its large, then lay it down sideways in the car. Then just make sure it wont slide around while driving and you should be fine.

jthill909

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012
I go to college four hours away from where I live and I take my gaming pc with me when I come home. I just put the computer in the original box with the styrofoam pieces on the top and bottom. This method works for me and I haven't had any issues with it.

ChilledGrease

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
Agree with jthill, however if you really want to be safe, take out your videocard, and if you have a tall heatsink take that out too. Things that have a lot of weight on the motherboard could potentially break it if they are jiggled around too violently.

Techguy1

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2012

Wouldn't the video card and cpu heatsink be fine if you lay the case down on a seat? Its not a very bumpy ride. If I take out the heatsink wont It mess up the thermal paste? (Its a CM Hyper 212+)

If you take out the heatsink it will need a new application of thermal paste.

I suspect it would be fine as well, up to you whether your going to take that precaution. Might as well take the graphics card out as its just a matter of plugging it and a few cables in to get it running.

Techguy1

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2012

Ill probably just take out my gpu. You put it in the anti static bag right?