Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Networking error

Last response: in Networking
Share
December 25, 2011 10:47:30 PM

hey guys, im having a problem connecting to the internet, let alone my network. im trying to download my network drivers so i can plug my laptop (via ethernet) into my desktop, to receive the wifi that is coming through it (i dont have a wifi adapter for my desktop yet). it cant even connect to the network, so i tried to download the drivers. but as soon as the driver installation finishes, it says it failed because i dont have intel adapters present on my computer. (by the way, i dont have an ehternet card, its built into my motherboard. is this a problem?) Have any suggestions for solving this problem? thanks!

More about : networking error

Best solution

December 26, 2011 8:07:16 AM

No problem having an integrated NIC. Install the Intel NIC drivers off the cd that came with your laptop, if you don't have one then download the drivers you need with the desktop and put them on a usb stick.

When you say you are plugging your laptop into your desktop, you are using a router? Do you have DHCP enabled on the router, wireless turned on, and security (like WPA2)? A direct connect with a crossover cable between the two machines will not allow you to share the Internet, only to connect two machines.

If you still can't figure it out, post your models --- desktop and laptop, and what type of Internet access you have with which modem/router.
Share
December 26, 2011 4:38:33 PM

RealBeast said:
No problem having an integrated NIC. Install the Intel NIC drivers off the cd that came with your laptop, if you don't have one then download the drivers you need with the desktop and put them on a usb stick.

When you say you are plugging your laptop into your desktop, you are using a router? Do you have DHCP enabled on the router, wireless turned on, and security (like WPA2)? A direct connect with a crossover cable between the two machines will not allow you to share the Internet, only to connect two machines.

If you still can't figure it out, post your models --- desktop and laptop, and what type of Internet access you have with which modem/router.

Actually I was just using an ethernet cable from my laptop to my desktop, I didn't know I needed a router, but cause I plug it into my xbox like that and it gets internet that way. But now I know I need a router, the problem is is that iit doesnlt even connect to the network :/ 
m
0
l
Related resources
December 26, 2011 6:23:39 PM

plattman02 said:
Actually I was just using an ethernet cable from my laptop to my desktop, I didn't know I needed a router, but cause I plug it into my xbox like that and it gets internet that way. But now I know I need a router, the problem is is that iit doesnlt even connect to the network :/ 


Unless one computer has a wireless internet connection, you cannot connect thru one to the internet. However, if one does have a wireless connection, you can use a CROSSOVER Ethernet cable that has a few wires switched to do a machine to machine connection. Router would probably be easier though and they are available pretty cheap.

edit -- some switches and routers that I used autodetect and use a crossover mode when needed, although that may be beyond the scope of your needs. What is the source of your wireless, like an apartment or dorm system? If so, the very cheapest answer might be to put a wireless card in your desktop. If you post your desktop model I can give you a card recommendation, guessing $15-20 range and less than 30 minutes to install if you are using Windows 7, a little longer if XP.
m
0
l
December 26, 2011 8:24:02 PM

RealBeast said:
Unless one computer has a wireless internet connection, you cannot connect thru one to the internet. However, if one does have a wireless connection, you can use a CROSSOVER Ethernet cable that has a few wires switched to do a machine to machine connection. Router would probably be easier though and they are available pretty cheap.

edit -- some switches and routers that I used autodetect and use a crossover mode when needed, although that may be beyond the scope of your needs. What is the source of your wireless, like an apartment or dorm system? If so, the very cheapest answer might be to put a wireless card in your desktop. If you post your desktop model I can give you a card recommendation, guessing $15-20 range and less than 30 minutes to install if you are using Windows 7, a little longer if XP.

Ok thanks, I ordered a card last night so it should all be good. If It doesn't work ill come back here and let you know!
m
0
l
January 5, 2012 1:02:28 AM

Best answer selected by plattman02.
m
0
l
!