Celeron 430, atx12v connector needed?

I bought a new case for my mother's computer so she'd have some front usb ports, but the new case mounts the power supply at the bottom instead of the top, so now the 4-pin atx12v connector won't reach the right spot on the motherboard. I used to have an extender for this kind of connector, but I seem to have gotten rid of it. Is it actually needed for a Celeron 430 (on an ECS 945GCT-M), or would it work without that connected? Would it cause serious damage if I tried to find out for myself?

Solution
I believe that the 4-pin connector was introduced when the Pentium4's were released because the power from the 24pin was becoming insufficient. Definitely think that you need to connect it.
Would just go to your local computer store. If they do any kind of custom order PC's then they should have a ton of 4-pin extensions in the back.
I believe that the 4-pin connector was introduced when the Pentium4's were released because the power from the 24pin was becoming insufficient. Definitely think that you need to connect it.
Would just go to your local computer store. If they do any kind of custom order PC's then they should have a ton of 4-pin extensions in the back.

Solution
I noticed that the Celeron 430 had a TDP of 35W compared to the 130W of some of the Pentium D models, so I thought it might not need it. I went ahead and tried it - the fans started spinning, but I got no output from the video card. I'll get the extension cable tomorrow.