Sign in with
Your question

When did GPU's start playing sound through hdmi

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 18, 2012 6:42:59 PM

Hi guys,

Anybody know series of nvidia and radeon cards where sound through a hdmi cable was introduced?

The reason why I ask I am making another pc that I want to hook it upto a tv through the hdmi so I want sound to come out aswell not just the graphics.

Would a radeon 4650 play sound?
November 18, 2012 6:52:00 PM

Not sure about 4xxx series, but I know that 5xxx does :) 
November 18, 2012 6:54:22 PM

Thanks. Any idea on the nvidia models?
Related resources
November 18, 2012 6:55:41 PM

DisplayPort™ output support
Supports 24- and 30-bit displays at all resolutions up to 2560x16002
Integrated HD audio controller with up to 2 channel 48 KHz stereo or multi-channel (7.1) AC3 enabling a plug-and-play cable-less audio solution
from http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/ati-radeon-hd-4000/hd-4600/Pages/ati-radeon-hd-4600-specifications.aspx
looks like it does have an integrated chip, but many people seem to have problem with getting sound trough the hdmi port.
not sure about the nvidia models since I didn't own any with an hdmi output :) 
a b U Graphics card
November 18, 2012 7:01:45 PM

i know the 6870s do for sure i hook mine up to my tv some times
a b U Graphics card
November 18, 2012 7:04:37 PM

I believe ever since they started incorporating HDMI ports on the card it has worked with sound. Because HDMI carries sound and video.

If you are building a computer for media purposes on your TV basically any card with an HDMI slot will work. I would go with something current because of reduced power consumption. So something in the 5000's or up in AMD/ATI and 400s and up nVidia.

If you are not gaming on that TV then go with something like a Radeon 5450 or a nvidia 610. Or kill two birds with one stone and get an APU and the motherboard will have HDMI on it as well. So you will have CPU, GPU, on one chip and just use the HDMI port on the motherboard. If you are gaming then it depends on the resolution you want to use but an APU would be acceptable or something like a Radeon 6670 and up.
a c 109 U Graphics card
November 18, 2012 7:27:30 PM

as far as i know AMD started with the HD 2XXX cards having an onboard sound card.

Many early Nvidia cards uses a pass through for SPDIF from your sound card(HDMI was a merger of DVI + SPDIF, but has since become MUCH more).

Even my onboard(Intel HD 3000) has audio over HDMI. I just have to set it in the bios.

You are covered as bubbles11 says.

Even my old n cheap 4350(This thing just moves media center animations and video together[and not so well, but video on its own works fine]. a little more power is far better if you want the media center interface to at least be smooth.) works with hdmi audio.
November 18, 2012 7:49:38 PM

I just need a cheap card that works with sound through the tv via the hdmi. It isnt for gaming just streaming videos etc.

So does your 4350 have sound through the hdmi then?
a b U Graphics card
November 18, 2012 7:59:16 PM

skyfather said:
I just need a cheap card that works with sound through the tv via the hdmi. It isnt for gaming just streaming videos etc.

So does your 4350 have sound through the hdmi then?

SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 5450 1GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This is $15 after the rebate. Doesn't get much better than that.

I still don't think you understand how HDMI works. It is video PLUS sound on one cable. If you have an HDMI slot, it can output sounds. You might have to enable a setting or two, but HDMI = Video + Sound.
a c 109 U Graphics card
November 18, 2012 8:00:44 PM

It does, but your 4650 is VASTLY better.

For real. The 4350 lacks many video enhancements() as well. I miss my 5770, but it was better suited to gaming in another pc so in came the 4350 I had kicking around from years of past.

It is just a warning that the extra power may be appreciated(not talking high end cards, but just a bit more then the 4350 offers).

EDIT

dear God the 4650 is overpriced....

The 5450 should be slightly better then the 4350
!