Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Which HD7950 should I get??

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 18, 2012 7:17:07 PM

Hi everyone,

I have been looking into some graphics cards (660Ti and 7950) and decided on the 7950 because of the good reviews and the overclocking capabilities. Also it's bang for buck performance. But I'm stumped on which HD7950 to get and I'm stuck on choosing these three:

XFX HD7950 DD Black Edition:
http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/amdradeon...

Sapphire HD7950 Vapor-X:
http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/amdradeon...

Gigabyte HD7950:
http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/amdradeon...

There all in my £250 price range (Well the Sapphire £5 more but I can stretch to that) But I'm really confused on which one to get. So I thought I'd post a topic and see what advice and opinions I can from you all! So what would you guys recommend? Does anyone have one? Overclocked theirs?

All I will be playing is DayZ, WarZ, BF3, BO2, mainly newer release titles and Steam games here and their.

It will be running along side my i5 2550K and my 8GB G.Skill RipJawsX @ 1600MHz (Possible 16GB upgrade soon)

Regards,

Kieran

More about : hd7950

a b U Graphics card
November 18, 2012 7:34:53 PM

I don't like Sapphire, but that's only because I value free RMA service. XFX isn't too bad, but the Double D's I read reviews on Newegg about, had some issues with the fans being crap, rubbing scraping and just stopping working. Sapphire and Gigabyte I believe have the cooling advantage.

I'd say it would come down to Sapphire and Gigabyte, I myself went with Gigabyte after never considering the Sapphire (for myself) and eliminating XFX, due to complaints about heat and bad fans. Some complain of coil whine on Gigabyte, but the 2 that I've had(first was RMA'd though it turned out nothing was wrong, but a DVI cable it didn't like) did not exhibit this. The coil whine honestly I've read complaints about multiple brands of 7970/7950's having it, so it's not exclusive to Gigabyte.

On cooling, my Gigabyte has only got up to 57c during a long gaming session.

Performance wise, it pretty much meets my old 560 Ti SLI in 3DMark, and it's pretty darn close in BF3 as well without all of the heat and noise.
November 18, 2012 8:26:31 PM

cliffro said:
I don't like Sapphire, but that's only because I value free RMA service. XFX isn't too bad, but the Double D's I read reviews on Newegg about, had some issues with the fans being crap, rubbing scraping and just stopping working. Sapphire and Gigabyte I believe have the cooling advantage.

I'd say it would come down to Sapphire and Gigabyte, I myself went with Gigabyte after never considering the Sapphire (for myself) and eliminating XFX, due to complaints about heat and bad fans. Some complain of coil whine on Gigabyte, but the 2 that I've had(first was RMA'd though it turned out nothing was wrong, but a DVI cable it didn't like) did not exhibit this. The coil whine honestly I've read complaints about multiple brands of 7970/7950's having it, so it's not exclusive to Gigabyte.

On cooling, my Gigabyte has only got up to 57c during a long gaming session.

Performance wise, it pretty much meets my old 560 Ti SLI in 3DMark, and it's pretty darn close in BF3 as well without all of the heat and noise.


Okay thankyou for your reply, so do you reckon I should get the Gigabyte model? Do you have the same Gigabyte model? I've heard mixed things about each of them like the XFX's cooling is very good, Sapphire's cooling is very good and the Gigabyte was a little noisy, I'm not to bothered about noise as long as it isn't stupidly noisy, my HD6850 from XFX is pretty loud under load and it can be heard and I can deal with that.

I'm just stumped between them three, if the prices were different my margins then it would help my decision but because their all priced around the same then it makes the decision harder for me.

Thanks,

Kieran
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 19, 2012 12:53:41 AM

If you are going to OC, get the Vapor-X.
a c 185 U Graphics card
November 19, 2012 1:25:59 AM

I recommend Sapphire's HD 7950 Vapor-X comes with a large dual-fan cooler that uses the company's famous vapor-chamber technology. On the Vapor-X you will also find a "Lethal Boost" button which switches to a second BIOS with higher clock speeds. With this BIOS, clocks are increased to 950 MHz GPU and 1250 MHz memory.
November 19, 2012 1:32:44 AM

Personally, I've had a horrible experience with Sapphire, i RMA'd my 5970 which was DOA, and it took them 9 months to even SHIP my GPU.

Anyways, I've had a good experience with XFX, their warranties are great.
November 19, 2012 6:54:08 AM

I have vapor x card and how it performs is just amazing.
I bought the new 7950 from sapphire and i'm waiting for it.
another advantage that it should have are the "black diamond" inductors, i red in some reviews that those are military grade and deliver a more stable power to the card.

The OC card should be tested a lot more than the reference and the times of the 5xxx faulty cpus are passed. (those first dx11 cards had an enormous amount of transistors so there were a higher risk of "faulty card")
November 19, 2012 11:09:50 AM

Embra said:
If you are going to OC, get the Vapor-X.


That's +1 for the Sapphire!
November 19, 2012 11:12:55 AM

bigcyco1 said:
I recommend Sapphire's HD 7950 Vapor-X comes with a large dual-fan cooler that uses the company's famous vapor-chamber technology. On the Vapor-X you will also find a "Lethal Boost" button which switches to a second BIOS with higher clock speeds. With this BIOS, clocks are increased to 950 MHz GPU and 1250 MHz memory.


This is very interesting, thanks! I have not heard of that button so that's also leaning me towards the Sapphire. I will have to find some more information about it, as it will most certainly be pressed! :p  Hearing good things about the Vapour-X cooler too.
November 19, 2012 11:16:45 AM

TheMail said:
Personally, I've had a horrible experience with Sapphire, i RMA'd my 5970 which was DOA, and it took them 9 months to even SHIP my GPU.

Anyways, I've had a good experience with XFX, their warranties are great.


However, that's bad to hear about the service. Id rather have a good service just in case if things are to go wrong with the card. Which im hoping they don't. I don't mind XFX but the fan in my current GPU is very loud. And I agree their warranties are very good!
November 19, 2012 12:19:49 PM

Dallatorre said:
I have vapor x card and how it performs is just amazing.
I bought the new 7950 from sapphire and i'm waiting for it.
another advantage that it should have are the "black diamond" inductors, i red in some reviews that those are military grade and deliver a more stable power to the card.

The OC card should be tested a lot more than the reference and the times of the 5xxx faulty cpus are passed. (those first dx11 cards had an enormous amount of transistors so there were a higher risk of "faulty card")


This is another good report on Sapphire! I think I may have to go with them, it's a shame about their RMA sevice though. Hopefully I don't have to experience this. Going to do some more research into it I think.
November 20, 2012 12:22:56 PM

With comparing them all and hearing different reviews and opinions im deciding between the Sapphire and the XFX card as that is what im bought them down too. I'm debating on the XFX though as I know their customer service is good and I know the fans aren't very quiet but that could just be my card.

Thanks for all of your help guys and I think I'm going to go with the XFX I can OC that well and even in its standard speed its faster then mine :p  Thanks all!
a c 185 U Graphics card
November 20, 2012 12:40:18 PM

No problem.Your welcome enjoy!
!