Internet Randomly Disconnects

dboisvert

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011
The internet seems to be randomly disconnecting. Here is all of the information that I have to help diagnose the problem.

3 Computers on the network that are both wired and wireless. They all lose connection at the same time and this didn't happen 4 months ago (I am a college student home for break). Called Comcast to have them run a line test and see if they had any outages. They said everything was fine on their end and they have not had any outages recently. Bought a new modem and router(ZOOM 5350) to replace the old one (MOTOROLA SBG901) and the problem is still occurring. When the connection goes out I am still able to login to the router via the web browser and when I check the signal levels everything is WELL withing the recommended settings. Their is a cable splitter that splits the main line ONCE and then it goes directly to the cable modem. This splitter is a 5-1000mhz splitter which is what is required for Comcast.

Based on the above information I don't think that it's any of the computers or the modem/router setup. I also don't believe it could be the splitter. I am going to get ahold of comcast and schedule an appointment but I wanted to get some feedback to see if I could be overlooking something.

as a bonus here is the IPCONFIG /all output (its the same when the internet goes out)

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Dan-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 1C-4B-D6-F8-80-3A
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.13(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, December 25, 2011 9:36:39 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, December 25, 2011 10:36:44 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 75.75.76.76
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

damian86

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Can you try using another pc or laptop or smartphone, see if you lose connection as well? Do you have installed any p2p programs? such as bit torrent and others? if so, you could be killing your bandwidth.

dboisvert

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011
All of the computers on the network get disconnected aswell. Even my smartphone. The computers also work on other networks. I have all torrenting programs disabled when the problem occurs.