ddk, where to start?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.development.device.drivers (More info?)

ok, i must admit i am a bit out of my normal realm here with drivers under
windows... now if you wanted a dos tsr thats a different story. in any
event i got the xp ddk installed and built the samples, and have been wading
through some of the documentation down the audio driver path and think i
want to end up in the msvad area somewhere. but i really do want some
confirmation that i am in the right area and that this is really the best
way to do what i need to do.

Problem: take left and right channels of one or more line in or mic inputs
on one or more sound cards and switch them to the left and/or right channels
of one card's speaker/headphone output. this has to be done in real time
and the routing has to be controllable from a user program with some kind of
a control api.

i can do this now with waveIn/waveOut api, but there is an annoying delay
due to the filling and passing of buffers, and it seems touchy as far as the
timing for setting up buffers and getting them in and out on time. so what
i think i need is something like a super mux combined with a splitter that
can route left and right channels and duplicate them so that i could listen
to combinations like the left channel line in on card 1 in both ears, then
the left channel line in on card 1 in the right ear and the left channel
line in on card 2 in the right ear, or the left channel of line in on card 2
in the left ear and the right channel line in on card 2 in the right ear...
etc.

so, any pointers about where i should be heading? i don't want to tie it to
any particular hardware which is why i am thinking the virtual audio device
stuff is the way to go. but is this the only way? would directsound give
the speed and control or does that work on filling and sending buffers also?
with the virtual audio device how would i configure it so it gets into the
audio stream the right way? too many questions, not enough reading yet i
think.
1 answer Last reply
More about start
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.development.device.drivers (More info?)

    Look for "kernel stream audio" in the DDK docs. Don't know anything about
    it really.

    "Dave" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > ok, i must admit i am a bit out of my normal realm here with drivers under
    > windows... now if you wanted a dos tsr thats a different story. in any
    > event i got the xp ddk installed and built the samples, and have been
    wading
    > through some of the documentation down the audio driver path and think i
    > want to end up in the msvad area somewhere. but i really do want some
    > confirmation that i am in the right area and that this is really the best
    > way to do what i need to do.
    >
    > Problem: take left and right channels of one or more line in or mic
    inputs
    > on one or more sound cards and switch them to the left and/or right
    channels
    > of one card's speaker/headphone output. this has to be done in real time
    > and the routing has to be controllable from a user program with some kind
    of
    > a control api.
    >
    > i can do this now with waveIn/waveOut api, but there is an annoying delay
    > due to the filling and passing of buffers, and it seems touchy as far as
    the
    > timing for setting up buffers and getting them in and out on time. so
    what
    > i think i need is something like a super mux combined with a splitter that
    > can route left and right channels and duplicate them so that i could
    listen
    > to combinations like the left channel line in on card 1 in both ears, then
    > the left channel line in on card 1 in the right ear and the left channel
    > line in on card 2 in the right ear, or the left channel of line in on card
    2
    > in the left ear and the right channel line in on card 2 in the right
    ear...
    > etc.
    >
    > so, any pointers about where i should be heading? i don't want to tie it
    > any particular hardware which is why i am thinking the virtual audio
    device
    > stuff is the way to go. but is this the only way? would directsound give
    > the speed and control or does that work on filling and sending buffers
    also?
    > with the virtual audio device how would i configure it so it gets into the
    > audio stream the right way? too many questions, not enough reading yet i
    > think.

Drivers Microsoft Windows XP