Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Random Freezing and crashing

Last response: in Systems
January 3, 2013 3:31:58 AM

I'm at a loss here. I haven't been able to figure out what is going on with my computer. Everything was fine until a fresh install of Windows 7.

Essentially what happens is about once an hour, everything will start freezing up. It starts with Chrome, then any windows I have open, then the start menu. In the event viewer (when these crashes first started happening) it said that Microsoft Security Essentials OOBE was failing, so I researched how to fix it and followed instructions to delete the OOBE file, but to no avail I continue to see crashes.

Even after another clean install, there is crashing. I got a BSOD that showed 0xF4 but nothing shows up in BlueScreenView. I don't know what is going on and I desperately need help.

Also, forgive me if this is not where this kind of thread goes. Here is some starting information:

PSU: Corsair TX750
MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth X58
CPU: Intel I7-960
RAM: 6GB GSkill 1600
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 460 SSC+
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB
SSD: Crucial M4 64GB

I'm sure more information would be needed to diagnose this, so please let me know what is needed and I'll be glad to help.

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
January 3, 2013 3:37:18 AM

Make sure the firmware for your Crucial M4 is up to date. They start to cause problems after a certain amount of hours if the Firmware is not updated if memory serves.
January 3, 2013 2:24:13 PM

The firmware was out of date. I just updated to 040H. I will keep reporting if anything happens.

Thank you for trying to help!
m
l
Related resources
January 4, 2013 3:06:46 PM

The firmware update seems to have solved it. Thank you!
m
l
January 4, 2013 3:06:55 PM

Best answer selected by Stexer.
m
l
!