Sign in with
Your question

5400 vs 7200 warranties

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
January 1, 2002 7:23:09 PM

I was looking around at a big comp store the other day and noticed that while all 5400 RPM drives came with 3 yr warranties, some 7200 drives only had 1 year. Is this becasue the 7200s spin faster and are known to have shorter life spans?

More about : 5400 7200 warranties

January 1, 2002 9:48:22 PM

I haven't actually ever seen that. I know that maxtor honor's the warranty the same on either drive. Maybe that wasn't the manufacture warranty?

<font color=red>I aM WE ToDD DiD.</font color=red><font color=white> I aM </font color=white><font color=blue>SOfA KING WE ToDD DiD</font color=blue>
Related resources
January 1, 2002 11:39:42 PM

retail. was compusa brand made by maxtor (7200) which had the original 3 yr warranty on the box covered by 1 year warranty, whereas the regular maxtors had 3 yrs warranties. wonder if this is because the ones they make for compusa are of lesser quality or if they lowered the warranty to sell at a lower price.
January 1, 2002 11:58:49 PM

I think CompUSA branded drives are refurbished.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
January 2, 2002 12:10:03 AM

CompUSA branded drives are Maxtor Entry level drives. They call them the value line. What is the model of drive? If you don't know that, what is the kit #?

<font color=red>I aM WE ToDD DiD.</font color=red><font color=white> I aM </font color=white><font color=blue>SOfA KING WE ToDD DiD</font color=blue>
January 2, 2002 3:47:52 AM

comes in a brand new box: 20 gb at maxtor d740x-6l
January 2, 2002 11:16:17 AM

If that's the one with the one year warranty, I would highly suggest looking under maxtor's site. That drive has a three year warranty, and the warranty is probably still TBD.

<A HREF="http://www.maxtor.com/products/DiamondMax/DiamondMaxPlu..." target="_new"><font color=green>Maxtor D740X</font color=green></A>

January 2, 2002 9:14:42 PM

yeah, by the time they decide when the warranty period is, the drive will be over a year old...lol
c'mon maxtor...make up your mind..
but in the mean time, is there like a warranty...it just doesnt have a limit yet?

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-
January 2, 2002 10:47:45 PM

Actually they are doing a good thing for you HonestJohn, seeing as you already bought one! :smile: They are still manufacturing the drive. So they determine the warranty by the last of the drives manufactured. Which if you bought one about the same time as you did yours, then you would have a longer warranty then three years!

January 2, 2002 11:21:13 PM

sweet!
that is awesome!

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-
!