Is this DIY "case enclosure" project viable?

Heatstroke

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
Problem: My Cooler Master HAF 932 computer case has always been a dust magnet!!! Not only is it very time consuming to clean the inside and outside of my case, I have never been able to get it as dust free as I want it to be.

Solutions That I Am Aware Of
Because my case is a large and heavy beast taking it outside and using compressed air to blow away most of the dust is not really a viable option. I am aware that I can purchase expensive magnetic dust filters. Anyway, recently I have been reading about some of the creative solutions people have come up with in order to help them inexpensively keep dust out of their PC. Most of those solutions involved making their own dust filters (e.g. using pantyhose, mesh screening, & various other types of filter material) for their intake fan ports. Problem is that most of these people have stated that the dust filters on their intake fan ports have only helped alleviate their dust problem. In other words, either their solution does NOT prevent dust from getting inside the case -OR- it tends to restrict air flow too much.

My Proposed Solution For Inexpensively Keeping Most Of The Dust Out of My Case
Create a cage using PVC tubing. Then tape air conditioning filters to the PVC tubing . I think everyone reading this post knows what a "computer case enclosure" is, however, I have never seen one that was made out of anything other than wood or glass.

Estimate of Monthly Maintenance Work Involved
Once the air conditioning filters become dusty (i.e. after a month or two). I can take apart my enclosure by:
* removing the filters from the PVC tubing pipes.
* rinsing the filters under water until they are clean.
* tape the cleaned filters back onto the PVC tubing structure.

Materials For This Project
* 4 cheap air filters such as this one: http://www.homedepot.com/buy/frost-king-15-in-x-24-in-x-1-4-in-foam-room-a-c-fpr-2-air-filter-f1524.html
* Several pieces of PVC tubing
* Tape

Estimated Project Cost: less than $15

My question to forum members is this: Do you guys think my idea will actually work?

My thinking (or hope) is that dust build up within my case will be minimal and air flow into and out of the computer case should not be restricted too severely. Why do I believe this? Because my computer case cage/enclosure will be made out of air conditioning filters rather than a solid material such as glass or wood. That said, my guess is that my idea for keeping dust out of my PC will not work very well. Why do I say this? Because I have never heard or read about someone else who has done something similar to what I am proposing. If nobody else has done something similar then there usually is a good reason (e.g. it won't work or there is a better solution).

Heatstroke

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
I dont think anything will keep all dust out of a computer
I agree, however, some geographical areas simply have more dust in the air than other areas. Unfortunately, I currently live in a dusty geographical area. The inside of my case is very dusty just a month or two after it has been cleaned. My goal is not to have a dust free PC. I simply want to minimize the dust build up so I only have to clean my PC once or twice a year.

I did come across a solution on Youtube that I thought was interesting. A company called "Dirt Bag, Inc." is selling a product where you encase your entire PC in some type of filter bag that they sell. The filter bag has to be replaced once or twice a year with a new one. I Googled for their website and found that these bags sell for about $22 a piece! I doubt most consumers would be willing to spend more than $4-$5 for a solution such as this. Now if the filter bag was washable and could be reused a couple of times before you had to toss it out then I think I could justify spending $20-$30 for such a product.