MicroATX Gaming computer

BlindPilot25Q

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
Hey all, can you help a student out? I'm sure you get the same threads from new members all day, but I need some help building a computer to not take up so much room in my dorm. I listed the thread as a MicroATX in order to keep it compact, but I could probably fit a Mid Tower if it is more budget friendly.

Approximate Purchase Date: Let's pretend I'm buying within a week

Budget Range: $1000 After shipping/tax/rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: MMORPG's, [Potentially] graphics intensive gaming, Media Storage and Playback (movies, music, etc)

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: New Build

Do you need to buy OS: No, using Windows 7 Pro 64-bit if it matters

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.com, Amazon.com

Parts Preferences: Intel, Asus

Overclocking: Maybe, but I'd prefer to be able to run stuff w/out modifying

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920 X 1080

Additional Comments: I'd like to keep the computer as cool as possible, but don't worry about watercoolers. I'd need to keep the computer small so try to fit it in this case, Please feel free to change certain perameters like preferred brands etc if you need to, but it is imperative the build stays at or below budget.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Want to get into computer building and switching from console gaming.

Thanks a ton

BlindPilot25Q

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
EDIT: I'm planning on playing games like Skyrim w/mods and other open world games, if it helps at all

Also, I posted the wrong case, but that one will work, so use it or another case as you please.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($204.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card ($279.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Silverstone PS08B (Black) MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($34.90 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($61.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $878.80
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-03 02:09 EST-0500)

supermochalala

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012
I thought your budget was $1000. That build you have is way over that....
Anyway, you might want to get a case with USB 3.0 since your motherboard has it and it has significant speed increases compared to 2.0. I would also say that you could get some cheaper RAM, but that combo deal makes it worth it. Other than that, it looks really good.

BlindPilot25Q

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013

Thanks, I'll look into another case. And the COMPUTER budget is $1000 because I the other $500 goes to Monitor/keyboard/mouse/OS.

BlindPilot25Q

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013

For the cooler, are you referring to the one you suggested at first? I don't know anything about coolers, so if it's not too much trouble, why would that one be better?

Also, the only reason I have the SSD is for a boot drive as you may have guessed, but I'm considering getting rid of it. Is it worth the money to have the designated drive?

EzioAs

Distinguished
An SSD is definitely worth the try if you haven't tried one before. Windows becomes much more snappier and if you have games installed on it, they load way faster especially skyrim. Well, except for games that already have fast loading times even on a hard drive.

I don't recommend the V4 because it isn't competitive price wise. Maybe get a crucial M4 instead.

The CM Hyper 212 is a good enough cooler for overclocking up to 4.5GHz (if you're lucky) if you'd like to do so later. Either get that or the scythe mugen 2 which is a bit better than the hyper 212 (but just slightly more expensive).

BlindPilot25Q

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
Well that's also something I apparently need to learn about. So would is this SSD more along the right lines?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147188&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

BlindPilot25Q

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
Okay, so not that it matters, but I'm leaving for Army BCT soon and when I get back I'll have money not allocated to anything (Already planned for what goes into my savings account, etc.), so that's how I'm building the computer. I did some number crunching last night and found some extra money I didn't factor in. Assuming I still need to have the same size computer, what would you do with $1500 for the computer alone (not counting OS, Screen, Mouse, Keyboard)

I would still be using these parts:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vThE

I would like a modular power supply in the build if possible. Also, consider case fans not part of the budget, but if you could suggest the best case fans, or the best way to cool the computer, I would be very appreciative.

I apologize if I'm asking a ton.