Hidden (duplicate) network connection device?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

In Control Panel > Network Connections there are several
communications entries defined there which represent hardware devices
like LAN adaptors, modems, etc.

I vaguely recall hearing that although I might make a change to the
components listed in the Properties of one of these comms entries,
there is actually a DUPLICATE or HIDDEN EQUIVALENT to this entry
which I cannot see.

Is this actually true? Where can I learn more about this?

Thank you for any information.
Zarbol

--

Crossposted to what (I hope) are the relevant groups:

microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web
microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev
microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
6 answers Last reply
More about hidden duplicate network connection device
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Zarbol Tsar <zarbol@tsar.net> wrote:

    >I vaguely recall hearing that although I might make a change to the
    >components listed in the Properties of one of these comms entries,
    >there is actually a DUPLICATE or HIDDEN EQUIVALENT to this entry
    >which I cannot see.
    >
    >Is this actually true? Where can I learn more about this?

    Maybe. You can make the Device Manager show hidden devices as well:
    "Device Manager Does Not Display Devices That Are Not Connected to the
    Windows XP-Based Computer"
    (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315539).

    --
    (tm)
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    On 12 Jan 2005, Thorsten Matzner wrote:

    > Maybe. You can make the Device Manager show hidden devices as
    > well: "Device Manager Does Not Display Devices That Are Not
    > Connected to the Windows XP-Based Computer"
    > (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315539).

    Thorsten, that MS document Q315539 is interesting. I tried what is
    suggested but this still does not show all of my devices in the
    Device Manager display.

    For example I have got something in the registry called "LAN Adapter
    7" which the method in Q315539 does not show. And I am not using
    that "LAN Adapter 7" device.

    (Strangely, I have only ever had an on-board LAN adapter and a couple
    of plugin PCI LAN (Ethernet) cards but that may be another matter.)

    HOWEVER when some programs run, RegMon from SysInternals shows the
    program making frequent accesses to check the registry key related to
    my non-existent LAN Adapter 7.

    I would ike to track down the reason why I have a key for LAN Adapter
    7 and why it is being accessed.
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Zarbol Tsar <zarbol@tsar.net> wrote:

    >I would ike to track down the reason why I have a key for LAN Adapter
    >7 and why it is being accessed.

    Each time when you reinstall a LAN device and the formerly installed
    device has not been removed before, the new device will get a number
    to distinuguish both devices. Note: you can get rid of the numbers if
    you simply rename the device to its original name in the Registry, if
    such a thing happens.
    If the LAN adapter 7 does no longer show up in the Device Manager, the
    Registry entry may be useless. You could try to start over by removing
    all LAN adapters from the Registry. Restart Windows and it will
    re-install the network cards.

    --
    (tm)
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    On 13 Jan 2005, Thorsten Matzner wrote:

    > Each time when you reinstall a LAN device and the formerly
    > installed device has not been removed before, the new device
    > will get a number to distinuguish both devices. Note: you can
    > get rid of the numbers if you simply rename the device to its
    > original name in the Registry, if such a thing happens.
    > If the LAN adapter 7 does no longer show up in the Device
    > Manager, the Registry entry may be useless. You could try to
    > start over by removing all LAN adapters from the Registry.
    > Restart Windows and it will re-install the network cards.

    Thorsten, thanks for your reply. Unfortunately my LAN Adapter 7 does
    show up in the registry. I found it under this key:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network\{4D36E972
    -E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.

    In fact I can find other LAN Adapers too (numbers 3 through to 7).
    And yet I only have two LAN adapters (one on the mobo and one on a
    PCI card!

    I will delete all the registry keys which have "local area
    connection" in them. Is this correct?
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Zarbol Tsar <zarbol@tsar.net> wrote:

    >I will delete all the registry keys which have "local area
    >connection" in them. Is this correct?

    As long as they are under "CurrentControlSet": yes.

    --
    (tm)
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

    Hey Zarbol,

    Did the fix work? I have a similar problem and I don't want to rush in...

    Thanks!

    "Thorsten Matzner" wrote:

    > Zarbol Tsar <zarbol@tsar.net> wrote:
    >
    > >I will delete all the registry keys which have "local area
    > >connection" in them. Is this correct?
    >
    > As long as they are under "CurrentControlSet": yes.
    >
    > --
    > (tm)

Drivers Network Connection Microsoft Devices Device Driver Windows XP